Talk

Advanced search

To make my DS go to the St George's Day parade?

(35 Posts)
StuntNun Sun 24-Apr-16 11:09:28

DS1 and DS2 have their St George's Day parade today for Cubs and Scouts. DS1 says he doesn't want to go because "it's boring and pointless." I have told him that it's part of being a Scout and that he should go. AIBU to make him go?

mamaduckbone Sun 24-Apr-16 11:10:56

No, YANBU. I always say to mine that if he wants to do all the fun stuff - camps etc. - he needs to fulfil his responsibilities as well.

Itsmine Sun 24-Apr-16 11:27:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LunaLoveg00d Sun 24-Apr-16 11:28:54

Yes, you can't pick and choose what bits you do and don't want to do.

wheresthel1ght Sun 24-Apr-16 14:12:43

As a brownie leader I want to give you a huge unmumsnetty hug!

I wish some of our parents would realise that guiding and scouting isn't just about the fun stuff. There is a service element to it too

sirfredfredgeorge Sun 24-Apr-16 14:55:14

Was he aware when he chose to become a scout of the obligation?
Would he be happy to stop being a scout if he didn't do the obligation?

If you didn't make him aware of the first, or he'd gladly stop because of the obligation, then YABU to force him (of course you needn't facilitate him going to the normal scouting activities in that case either)

Andrewofgg Sun 24-Apr-16 14:55:21

YANBU

It's part of the package. One fine day he'll have to accept that most day jobs have a downside too.

SoupDragon Sun 24-Apr-16 14:58:56

When these things clashed with a sporting commitment, my DC went to the sporting commitment.
When they were available, they went to the parades regardless of how much they whinged.

At no point were they ever told that it was a compulsory part of being a scout though.

EastMidsMummy Sun 24-Apr-16 16:03:56

It's not a job, though. And it is boring and pointless.

TheCatsMeow Sun 24-Apr-16 16:23:58

I wouldn't, but each to their own. It isn't a job

StuntNun Sun 24-Apr-16 17:46:29

Well he went in the end but said that it was very boring. He seems cheerful enough about it now. Maybe it was just normal teenage limit-testing. I'm sure it was character building for him anyway.

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Sun 24-Apr-16 17:56:12

It's not pointless. (it can be boring but not everyone's SGDP is boring. Ours was fab.)
St George IS the patron saint of Scouting.
You reaffirm your promise which is part of being a Scout.

If you don't want to do the 'boring' bits then don't expect to do the fun bits too.

Well done OP

TheCatsMeow Sun 24-Apr-16 18:01:34

What is scouting? I thought it was just a boys club that went camping sometimes. I have a feeling I'm missing something.

BastardGoDarkly Sun 24-Apr-16 18:02:11

We went too, I'm a cub leader, and ds is in cubs. and it was really boring, still, it's only a couple of hours.

puddock Sun 24-Apr-16 18:10:09

DS (beaver) did not wish to go to the SGD service and parade today so I didn't insist. We are an atheist family and our approach is that if church or god-related stuff comes up with school or scouts or whatever, it is up to them if they want to participate.

Peterspan Sun 24-Apr-16 19:23:35

YADNBU. People give up their free time to run these things for no financial gain whatsoever. The least people can do is make their kids turn up for the two times a year (if that) it's requested.

thelostboy Sun 24-Apr-16 20:08:43

Not a leader but on the Group Exec Committee with a remit as the GSL's Dogsbody.

Sounds to me like the service /take the good with the bad element needs to be pointed out occasionally. Parades were boring 35 years ago, but you went because the camps and other stuff were great. You have to "earn" the good stuff with boring stuff, parades, community projects etc.

However, our Group ran the District St Georges Day parade today, with a remit to "freshen it up and make it more relevant" for the kids.

We had no hymns. No prayers. A brief blessing from the vicar - we'd looked at a non-religious location, but the main church was actually the only place big enough for the whole District and it was still standing room only, even with half the parents adjourning to the pub having to wait outside.

Promises renewed. Various films and slideshows showing the range of activities done by Beavers, Cubs and Scouts up on a couple of big screens with modern upbeat songs as the background. Plus "Reach for the Stars" blush Various awards issued to kids and leaders. Compared by our Group Chair and DS.

Phone now in meltdown with GSL bouncing texts and emails from kids, parents and leaders from other Groups saying how great it was.

wine and cake and chocolate all round.

BastardGoDarkly Sun 24-Apr-16 20:31:02

Well done lost sounds like you all did a great job wine

Ours was very full on religion, hymns and speech from vicar. It's not my bag at all, but I knew when I signed ds up, that there's a religious element to cubs.

EastMidsMummy Sun 24-Apr-16 21:53:00

Ridicułus 1950s nonsense. "Do my duty to God and the Queen." What does that even mean??

thelostboy Sun 24-Apr-16 22:03:18

"Ridicułus 1950s nonsense. "Do my duty to God and the Queen." What does that even mean??"

Yep, stuck in the 1950s.

Which is why there are now something like 7 variations on the promise to enable those with different beliefs to work round it.

Do keep up! wink

Rangirl Sun 24-Apr-16 22:03:48

The promise no longer includes God
YANBU If they can go they should It is all part of being in the Scouts

EastMidsMummy Sun 24-Apr-16 22:05:23

So what are they promising?

EastMidsMummy Sun 24-Apr-16 22:09:24

Ha! Just looked it up. "British subjects must promise to do their duty to the Queen." So, as I said, 1950s bollocks.

ilovesooty Sun 24-Apr-16 22:11:52

You obviously didn't spend much time on your research. The promise can be made without referring to the Queen.

TheSecondOfHerName Sun 24-Apr-16 22:12:16

All four of our children have been through Scouts & Guides. Younger two still part of it. As parents, we expect them to attend the services for Remembrance and St George's, plus the usual weekly meetings. Anything on top of that they can choose to attend or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now