Advanced search

To want a second opinion...

(9 Posts)
Annexx Sat 23-Apr-16 23:24:07


I was born with what I can only describe as a strange cut/scab on my head. I have had it all of my life, I am now almost 26 years old. When I was younger I was told it was a birth mark, that is what my mother says the Dr's told her. It bleeds constantly and NEVER heals, sometimes it hurts. It's something I am not only self conscious about as I have to ensure my hair is covering this patch on top of my head, but also worry about. For years I didn't seek any advice as I trusted my mother's words that she'd been told it was fine etc.

When I met my partner a few years ago he noticed it and asked about it. When I explained the above he basically said "so you have a cut that bleeds and never heals.... that's not normal is it?" And I thought tbh he is right and begun worrying even more. So two years ago I booked an appointment with GP and explained all of this back story, showed it to them and explained my worry. My GP basically laughed it off and said "I'm not concerned at all" and prescribed me some topical cream you can get over the counter. I left still feeling unsure and worried but used the cream as instructed.

Months later it had still done nothing and I just kind of resigned myself to thinking well I've had this my whole life and I'm reasonably healthy so it must not be an issue as the doctor tried to reassure me. Well now it's starting to bother me again, bleeding more, starting to hurt and just the realisation that no matter what that dr has said I don't feel anything that doesn't heal can be normal.

AIBU to ask for another appointment about this with another doctor? I haven't even been told what this is. I would like to know and tbh I would like it gone. sad I could upload a picture but don't really want to gross people out! WWYD?

steppemum Sat 23-Apr-16 23:27:33

yes, go back, ask them to explain what it is exactly, and then ask if they can get rid of it (laser?) as it bothers you a lot

missymayhemsmum Sat 23-Apr-16 23:29:03

Sounds very odd. Go and see a different doctor. If it's entirely normal albeit rare they will have a diagnosis for it. If not you want a referral to a skin specialist. If you are sure it doesn't keep bleeding because you keep scratching/knocking it?

VimFuego101 Sat 23-Apr-16 23:30:04

Sounds like it would be worth getting a dermatologist to check it out.

GreaseIsNotTheWord Sat 23-Apr-16 23:33:59

Have you googled? There's a type of birthmark called a haemangiomas that bleeds and most commonly occurs on the head.

I wouldn't think it would be anything to worry about - a birthmark/patch of thin skin with blood vessels close to the surface that are easily damaged. You might be scratching it in your sleep which is why it bleeds.

Definitely worth going back to the GP though, surely they can laser it or something?

Annexx Sat 23-Apr-16 23:56:52

Regarding the questions about am I knocking it etc, yes inevitably as it is in top of my head so washing my hair, brushing my hair and things like that disturb it. After 25 years though I still feel it should have healed. At least when I was a baby with no hair and care could have been taken to avoid that area. I've tried covering it up and avoiding that area completely in conjunction with using creams, it just won't heal.

GreaseIsNotTheWord I've tried googling but I find most of those threads often lead to people panicking about cancer and MRSA and things like that! I will check out what you suggested thank you. My main worry is that is has started to hurt, it has been relatively painless most of my life.

GreaseIsNotTheWord Sun 24-Apr-16 10:27:36

I really wouldn't worry too much - just think logically. You have an area of sensitive/thin skin that bleeds frequently when you knock or scratch it - it's reasonable that it would hurt iyswim?

Also, the fact that you've had it so long is reassuring. To be frank, if it was cancer or anything awful, you'd be dead already by now! (That's meant to be reassuring lol, hope you know what I mean!)

Fretfulparent Sun 24-Apr-16 10:31:29

Sebacous naevus?

Ameliablue Sun 24-Apr-16 10:32:24

What it is probably nothing sinister, it is causing you pain and upset to it is reasonable to ask the doctor what other options there may be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now