To wonder if this is true

(21 Posts)
wannabeanomyous Sat 23-Apr-16 19:37:32

Just called Argos to argue about an order. One call centre transferred me to the next. Got a recorded message
"due to an emergency the building has been evacuated"
So has anyone had this before - good way of getting rid of me or genuine?

almostthirty Sat 23-Apr-16 19:39:55

That's a bit of an odd message to have pre recorded! Wonder how many times they have had to use it?

Redglitter Sat 23-Apr-16 19:40:58

I had EE disappear on me half way through a call because of a fire alarm. I imagine they would have something similar rather than the phones ring out while the offices were empty. Can't see why it wouldn't be genuine. It's only going to fob you off for a a girth time

seasidesally Sat 23-Apr-16 19:44:57

bloody argos

got a double bed delivered last week and when they arrived i said the directions to ds room,they then told me they werent allowed to take it upstairs due to health and safety hmm

so was left by myself to lug a double mattress and base upstairs

how do they deliver to flats

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 23-Apr-16 19:45:36

It might even just be a fire drill. So many people work in call centres, their evacuation procedures need to be tip top.

wannabeanomyous Sat 23-Apr-16 19:49:04

Fire drill makes sense. I'd already explained my problem to one person in one call centre who then transferred me because I had a different sort of order. Which they could have worked out because I gave the order number before I started. So I'm imagining a "can't be bothered/too complicated" button they press to lose my call.
I'll try again now.

BankWadger Sat 23-Apr-16 19:50:48

I had a customer refuse to finish the call while the fire alarms rang around me once. Nothing like discussing someone's TV subscription when you could be in real danger. hmmangry[sigh]. Further calls were suspended until the alarm was cleared (false alarm thankfully) and yes they did have a recorded message at the ready.

BankWadger Sat 23-Apr-16 19:52:09

(But Argos are utter incompetent twats)

TurnOffTheTv Sat 23-Apr-16 19:53:09

Fire drill for sure.

ChemistryHunt Sat 23-Apr-16 19:56:18

Most likely a fire drill or alarm.

The company I work for has an automated message that is turned on when an alarm goes off.

wannabeanomyous Sat 23-Apr-16 19:57:29

Still evacuated. What is the point of asking for my order number "so they can put me through to the right service". And then transferring me to someone who tells me I need a different call centre.
I wouldn't do that bankWadger - honest! I've had customers do similar to me when clearing a shop with the fire alarms ringing.
Maybe my problem can wait until tomorrow (I just didn't want to go on being annoyed all evening so thought I'd sort it now).

wannabeanomyous Sat 23-Apr-16 19:59:50

You are all so sensible. I never thought of a fire drill before I posted, Imagining something much more dramatic and implausible.

ChemistryHunt Sat 23-Apr-16 20:02:15

It might take a while to get everything back on. Depending on size of building it can take a good few minutes for it to be cleared.

Then, if it wasn't a planned drill, they won't be allowed to re-enter the building until the fire brigade has checked the while building and declared it safe, assuming that there is not an actual fire. It can take some time depending on the size of building and wait for fire attendance.

wannabeanomyous Sat 23-Apr-16 20:06:57

But I had my rant all prepared! So inconsiderate.

MatildaTheCat Sat 23-Apr-16 20:11:36

Argos are well known for shite customer service. Can you post on their Facebook page or Twitter? Some companies respond to this. Do not accept it if someone promises to call you back. They won't.

SlapACatFuckADuck Sat 23-Apr-16 20:17:08

Everytime I try and speak to argos and get transferred to the 'right' department I get the same message.. I've tried different days, same day ect. Could never get through.

wannabeanomyous Sat 23-Apr-16 20:34:41

To be fair my problem with them isn't that serious - computer error, not human error. I can see I've been lucky compared to some. I hoped it could very easily be sorted...

ShinyShinyShiny Sat 23-Apr-16 20:38:16

The only way I've ever got a decent response from Argos is by complaining loudly on Twitter, their social media people are really helpful IME.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Sat 23-Apr-16 20:44:15

I work in a call centre and yes we have similar pre recorded message for such things, also things like weather conditions

But in my company it's good practice to do a hand off so the first person would come back to you and explain the message on the other end. We have call centres in various locations so one wouldn't know if another is having issues til they try to put someone through

almostthirty Sat 23-Apr-16 20:58:06

Thinking about it, it does make a lot of sense to have prerecorded messages blush

Thisismyfirsttime Sat 23-Apr-16 21:48:13

I used to work for a corporate company in a large tower building in Central London and we had a row of buttons on the switchboard, one you'd press before you left for standard out of hours message and others. One was for evacuation and I'd press that before I left which would announce to callers to all extensions that we'd evacuated etc, then to the normal voicemail for the person/ reception. Because of the sheer size of the building it would take a good 10 mins to evacuate and then they'd need to investigate why the alarm had gone off and then get 28 floors of staff back in. Took well over half an hour usually. We had a message for technical difficulties and one for 'other' that made me laugh due to the randomness of it but I can't remember the wording now. I'd imagine a call centre would have the same option to trip the phones like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now