To think this cbeebies Midsummer night dream is rubbish

(10 Posts)
kojackscat Sat 23-Apr-16 11:23:17

It's a complicated story enough in the first place, what with a play within a play, and a complex storyline. They are making it even more complicated by having bits of' backstage' singing and dancing.

I thought they would take the story and make is accessible to young children by updating the language.
Ds was really looking forward to it, but has got bored already, as he has no idea what theybare talking about.

Very disappointed.

hiccupgirl Sat 23-Apr-16 11:26:44

DS (6) is loving it. I like the fact they haven't dumbed down the language and the narrator bit is working well here.

5minutestobed Sat 23-Apr-16 11:29:05

I was just saying the same to DH, way too complicated for little kids. My DS (3) has lost interest already as well so we put it off.

kojackscat Sat 23-Apr-16 11:37:35

Ds was just so confused. He kept asking 'is this bit in the story?' He couldn't differentiate between the added bits and the story, except the added bits made sense to him, so he was listening to them, and loosing interest on the actual play as he didn't know what they were saying.

kojackscat Sat 23-Apr-16 11:40:56

And I do think the language should be 'dumbed down' for them. In every day life we explain things to children in language and concepts that they understand. If we want to introduce them to great literature, we should do the same too.

LuckyTr33 Sat 23-Apr-16 11:46:28

www.shakespeare400.org/

You may find some local events

Try your local theatre or cinema

gruffaloshmuffalo Sat 23-Apr-16 11:50:04

My 4 year old is loving it, and the 2 year old is enjoying it because he recognises people I think

kojackscat Sat 23-Apr-16 12:07:05

Thanks for the link Lucky. Shame its almost all in London.

attheendoftheday Sat 23-Apr-16 18:53:38

My 3 and 4 year olds loved it (so did I).

I liked that they kept the language but had characters watching and going over what was going on.

I thought it was excellent.

JustPoppingIn Sat 23-Apr-16 19:16:36

I thought it was a really ambitious idea and well done Cbeebies for giving it a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now