Talk

Advanced search

To not want ds2, (6) to do his SATS

(92 Posts)
MsJamieFraser Fri 22-Apr-16 21:02:52

Ds2 is below average in English and Maths, as we found out during a temper tantrum a few months ago, due to some kids being nasty and the teacher just stated "oh and and he's very behind where he should be" I started a thread about it at the time even tho his last report said he was above average...

ds2 will not pass his SATS, his teachers know this and I know this, I am angry his teacher has graded him a C in effort, even tho he does his best, goes to extra lessons, me and dh do extra lessons with him, and we even had a tutor until dh said fuck this, he fricking 6!

So I am wondering if I can demand that ds does not sit his SATS as we know he will not pass, so why put him through it when he is set to fail.

MsJamieFraser Fri 22-Apr-16 21:06:56

sorry I should have said, ds got a A for effort in all his subjects (except english and math) on his last report because he is above average , but the ones he is "below average" he got a C for effort, even tho he does lots of extra work, outside and inside school. I think he was unfairly marked, purely based on the fact he is below average... He really does try hard to grasp and understand and learn English and Math.

x2boys Fri 22-Apr-16 21:13:24

Yanbu ds1 is below average in everything he's a lovely kid and is brilliant with his severely autistic brother but not academic at all he's in yr 4 he will be doing yr 6 says in two yrs just to do badly why our them through it .

smokeybandit Fri 22-Apr-16 21:23:46

I would be in two minds about it in all honesty. Just because you think he won't do well I don't think you should keep him from doing it (I think SATs are a load of crap on the whole, by the way). Actively separating him from his peers...what does he think himself? Won't he ask why he's not doing it? Would you say it's because you don't think he'll do good enough? Plus it feels like....something's hard and you might not do well so don't bother? At the end of the day maybe it would give you a better idea of where he's at, being marked externally without prejudice.

PinotAndPlaydough Fri 22-Apr-16 21:35:24

How does he feel about them? If he shows any signs of being stressed, worries or upset then without as secon thought I would say he isn't doing them. If he doesn't seem at all bother then I would let him do them as pulling him out might make an issue where there isn't one for him and could invite questions from other children.

Either way I would be asking for a meeting with his teacher to ask what support they have in place to help him and to find out why they are even fucking grading a six year olds effort angry

molyholy Fri 22-Apr-16 21:38:49

Yanbu. Our dd is fine academically. But I don't think they should be tested at this age and I certainly do not believe 6/7 yo should be being 'trained' parrot fashion to pass these tests. It's not a true reflection of their learning experience as a whole (unless they are only being learned to pass tests). Not to worry anyway. The spelling one has already been scrapped and now they have realised there is a reading error on the reading paper. You couldn't make this stuff up!

MrsKCastle Fri 22-Apr-16 21:43:15

Unfortunately, with the new style SATs all children are expected to sit them unless they are VERY behind or have a specific need that prevents them from doing the tests. This a government expectation, not down to the individual school. Parents don't have the right to withdraw their children.

However, you do have every right to be concerned by the school's approach, if they are not recognising his effort. I hope you have met with the teacher and discussed the grades on his report.

WilburIsSomePig Fri 22-Apr-16 21:49:00

Speak to the school about your concerns. If your DS is very behind then the school may decide that he shouldn't sit them. In my school there are 6 children who are not sitting them (Y6) because they really can't cope with them. It was decided, with after discussion with parents, that they would not sit them.

Mishaps Fri 22-Apr-16 21:53:14

Oh don't get me on the subject of SATs! - what a travesty of what education should be! Perhaps he had best be off sick on the day. If the system is unreasonable there is nothing left but to be devious in defence of your DS. If you don't stand up for him then who will? Certainly the system doesn't give a toss.

PinotAndPlaydough Fri 22-Apr-16 21:53:51

I'm so shocked that parents can't decide to withdraw their own child from SATS. What if you don't send your child in on that day?
Surely if your child is getting stressed and upset and it is impacting on their mental health as a parent you should be able to say no I'm not going to allow my child to be put through this any more.

Feenie Fri 22-Apr-16 21:55:01

Perhaps he had best be off sick on the day

He'd have to be off sick for the whole of May.

WhirlwindHugs Fri 22-Apr-16 21:58:22

He might surprise you all.

I get it though, because I feel the same about DD who will probably fail some parts.

I feel a bit better now that the SPAG paper can't be given!

MrsKCastle Fri 22-Apr-16 22:14:09

The problem is not the tests themselves, but the way they are presented. I did a practice test with my class yesterday. I made it clear to them that there would be a range of questions, with some questions being quite tricky. And that the tests would really help me, as their teacher, to know which areas they need more help on. So a wrong answer in their mind just meant 'MrsKCastle will go over this with me again because I'm not confident yet.'

Feenie Fri 22-Apr-16 22:18:15

I use the reading comps as a normal part of lessons - they're just reading booklets to us - and Maths questions as part of my whole class teaching. Sooo glad SPAG has gone - easy to shoe correct grammar and spelling day to day in books, but the test was giving me nightmares. (Not the kids though. They have no idea we are doing tests at all.)

Feenie Fri 22-Apr-16 22:19:14

Show, not shoe

Pseudo341 Fri 22-Apr-16 22:19:14

YADNBU Can you refuse to let him sit them? My DD is only in reception but I'm already wondering about this. She's not struggling, quite the opposite according to her teacher, but I think it's utterly appalling that they're making children so young sit tests. I'm really upset to hear your DS has grades, he's six for fucks sake, that's too young for grades. It's a fucking disgrace and maybe if all parents boycotted they'd stop them.

Feenie Fri 22-Apr-16 22:20:39

No, you can't. All children working within the standard have to sit them. Writing is TA only anyway.

YouTheCat Fri 22-Apr-16 22:22:12

A lot of parents at the school where I work are just keeping their kids off during SATs, in protest.

Feenie Fri 22-Apr-16 22:23:35

For the whole of May? That'll be a lot of fines.

Feenie Fri 22-Apr-16 22:26:12

Are you sure it's not part of this protest?

m.facebook.com/parentssupportteachers/?ref=ts&fref=ts&__nodl

Y2 parents are keeping their children off for 3rd May as a protest. They won't miss the tests though.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 22-Apr-16 22:52:21

My experience of these sats for y2 is it's all media hype. My dd is y2. The children are not even being told they're sitting tests/exams - it's just normal school for them as the teacher is the examiner.

Feenie Fri 22-Apr-16 22:56:23

Not strictly true - the extra pressure on Y2 teachers this year has been immense. The drip feeding and mistakes have piled it on. It's been harder not to pass that on to children. Not impossible though. The scrapping of the SPAG has made it easier, but it's back next year. It's still a shitty, mishandled system using a curriculum well beyond this age group.

MiniCooperLover Fri 22-Apr-16 22:57:56

Our school sent home a letter with the bags today making it very clear no medical appts were to be made or holidays booked for sats week. I can't help but think that may backfire on them ....

MrsKCastle Fri 22-Apr-16 23:03:53

Completely agree Feenie.

I feel very lucky to be working in a school that believes in letting kids be kids, but it's very difficult.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 22-Apr-16 23:04:09

Are you a teacher feenie? Where you say it's a curriculum beyond this age group, is that from experience or from what you've read in the media?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now