Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed?

(7 Posts)
Amy214 Fri 22-Apr-16 12:54:08

Me and 2yo dd live with my parents. My niece and nephew come over mon-fri and sometimes on the weekend. I buy me and dd special treats e.g crisps, chocolate raisons etc.. I could buy a 7pack of skips on a monday and they are gone by a tuesday because my mum has shared them out between all the kids now i wouldnt be bothered if they had asked rather than assumed it would be ok and if they replaced them when they said they would. Today was the last straw dd had one easter egg left from easter and i come home to find that my mum has given it to my niece and nephew and its gone (whilst dd was at playgroup) the one tube of smarties have gone aswell even after i specifically said 'can you please not touch them as they are for mines and dds trip this sunday?' we all agreed that me and dd would have one kitchen cupboard for this reason so no one would eat our food but everytime i go into it somethings missing, someones drank our milk out the fridge and even the cheese spread has toast crumbs in it. I know it sounds unreasonable but its been going on for 2 years and im fed up. I would buy a mini fridge for my room but there is no space and moving out isnt an option as we cant afford it at the moment. Everyone thinks im over reacting but dd has 1 set of grandparents and 1 parent whereas niece and nephew have 3 sets of grandparents and 2 parents so they are always spoiled with chocolate come xmas and easter where dd only has 2 eggs and a few chocolates at xmas. Even at that she'll only get a small amount since the kids eat them. Then they will go home and dive into there own chocolate at home. Am i being silly? I know i probably am but i just think its unfair for dd

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Fri 22-Apr-16 12:56:08

Keep your food in your room?

IceMaiden73 Fri 22-Apr-16 12:56:19

I think you need to come up with a better food system with your Mum as it sounds like what you are doing is not working for you at the moment

Greyponcho Fri 22-Apr-16 13:07:05

Perhaps when out buying for yourself & DD, ask your parents if they want picking up at the same time for the other children week?
Put it through on a separate receipt & say "here you go, here's the treats & the receipt says how much you owe" (or words to that effect).
That way, they've no excuse about not having treats for the kids & you're not 'being selfish for not sharing yours'.
Or could it be that they feel like they're already giving you & your DD enough living with them, so to take a few snacks as and when they choose is your contribution back to the family? I take it that 'just buying more for everyone' isn't an option for you financially?

44PumpLane Fri 22-Apr-16 13:07:24

Keep non perishable items in your room and put a lock on your room.

For your fridge items unfortunately there's little you can do if there's no space for your own mini fridge and your parents won't listen to your requests that they keep their mitts off.

However, have you explained to them what you've just explained here? That your child only has 1 set of grandparents and 1 parent and therefore gets less on occasions than your niece/nephew, therefore you'd rather that those special items do not become fodder for the masses?

Amy214 Fri 22-Apr-16 13:36:53

I pay rent to live here and pay towards the food as a family and i often nip to the shops to pick up things for everyone, i buy my mum wine and chocolates because i feel as though she deserves it for having the 3 grandkids in her house all the time, i have just empitied a box so i can keep the snacks in my room but would that be teaching dd to hide snacks? I could always say mums nipping out for 2 seconds and give them to her without her seeing the snack box. I have tried to explain it to them but they just say thats not the kids' fault, its not anyones fault but i just want them to keep there hands off the things she gets on special occasions i wouldnt mind if it was a packet of milky buttons that ive just bought because i fancied some but i would like them to ask if it was ok. I could buy more for everyone but it will only last a week so it would be a waste as niece always says she wants something and my mum always gives it to her but it ends up in the bin. No matter how many times i try and explain that shes not hungry just bored and we should stick to certain times for snacks, lunch and dinner etc.. She will always give in.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 22-Apr-16 13:37:38

Don't buy any more treats to leave at home. Buy single packs when you are out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now