Talk

Advanced search

To ask how many hours a day you do housework?

(91 Posts)
Moomoomango Fri 22-Apr-16 10:39:15

Excuse the mundane -ness of this post. I grew up in a house where next to no cleaning got done.. That's all I know as normal. Now living in my own house with two children id love to know what is normal?

I do probably about 1-2 hours if you exclude cooking but include laundry, cleaning and tidying. Does that sound about right?

Thanks

Writerwannabe83 Fri 22-Apr-16 10:47:57

I do about 1-2 hours at well. I would imagine that's pretty standard smile

NoCapes Fri 22-Apr-16 10:48:56

I pretty much do it all day every day
And you'd never know looking at the state of the place

19lottie82 Fri 22-Apr-16 10:55:48

Hours? As in plural? Per DAY? Ha!

Pyjamaface Fri 22-Apr-16 11:00:31

Excluding cooking probably about half an hour a day.

I can scrub the entire house in 2 hours

LBOCS2 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:02:01

I potter. I wouldn't say that I do consistent housework at all; when things need doing I put them off until they're truly disgusting do them. Clean the sink while toddler DD is having a bath (or poo!), wipe down the kitchen while lunch is on, etc.

Junosmum Fri 22-Apr-16 11:02:43

About the same as you if you add it all up- making the bed, washing up, tidying, wiping surfaces, laundry. Takes a bit longer on days where I hoover and clean the bathroom and mop- 2-3 on those days.

witsender Fri 22-Apr-16 11:03:12

Half an hour to an hour. Including washing up etc. Little and often means it is easy to keep on top of so that just means putting a wash on and out every other day, a quick Hoover round, put toys etc back in rightful place, tidy kitchen after each bout of cooking or eating, wipe round bathroom while kids bathe etc.

pottymummy Fri 22-Apr-16 11:11:58

I feel like I'm ALWAYS doing it, but that's not true. I do as little as I can. The washing is endless. We vaccuum once a day at least downstairs, but I only do the stairs and upstairs once a week.
The washing up/cleaning kitchen/wiping surfaces is also never ending. I try to avoid 'big tidy ups' because I'm naturally messy and I hate that but every few weeks we go to it.
I do bathrooms once a week and DH will do them as well <because apparently I don't do them properly (this means I don't throw bleach at everything)>
So I guess on the days I work a full day, I probably do half an hour. (cooking not included)
On the days I work a short day I try to do the bigger jobs and its more like an hour and a half.

Oysterbabe Fri 22-Apr-16 11:21:57

If you exclude cooking, about zero hours.
DH does almost all of it smile

QforCucumber Fri 22-Apr-16 11:25:55

When working full time probably about 30 minutes a day, currently on maternity leave and it seems never ending. How can 1 small person who is only 5 weeks old create so much mess??!!

HackerFucker22 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:25:57

On a work day all I do is cook.

Non work day and I'd say max 90 minutes a day BUT I am not including anything related to the kids (school run, breakfast ans dinner, baths, entertainment etc..) which is what takes up the bulk of my time.

Brummiegirl15 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:27:57

Er...... I'm a lazy cow so provably couldn't tell you.
That said I feel like I do washing every other day <looks at 17 week old DD dribbling milk>

CazM2012 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:27:59

Around 4 hours a day but I do have anxiety on cleaning so I know compared to a lot of people it is excessive.

PurpleTraitor Fri 22-Apr-16 11:30:58

2 hours probably

The downstairs has to be vacuumed at least once a day or it gets unmanageable, that and the dishwasher gets done first thing usually, along with getting a load from the dryer folded and away, getting a load of wet into the dryer, another load on and pegged out if fine, and a dirty load in the machine before we go out.

Beds, cleaning the bathroom, washing the windows and patio doors, mopping the floors, wiping surfaces, mirrors, etc, all a constant battle

Then it depend if you include outside duties as well - bins, recycling, constant sweeping, weeding, mowing, garden tidying, jet washing etc.
It is why I wonder why it is people's ambition to have a big house. Mine isn't small but it's not huge either, it always seems never ending

PurpleTraitor Fri 22-Apr-16 11:34:09

I do at lEast two loads of washing every day or it builds up. What am I doing wrong there?

sirfredfredgeorge Fri 22-Apr-16 11:36:58

PurpleTraitor Where do you live that there's so much dust that after just a day it's too deep to push a vacuum through? That can't be healthy!

HostaFireandIce Fri 22-Apr-16 11:37:21

Excluding cooking? On the average day? Nothing much beyond every now and then loading the washing machine. Then once a week or so I'll go crazy and do a couple of hours. I used to feel quite pleased with myself when I did that. I won't now after reading this!

PotatosMum Fri 22-Apr-16 11:40:32

Hours? Wait a minute, there's supposed to be hours per day allocated to clearing? I am such a failure blush

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 22-Apr-16 12:09:33

I always makes the beds shove bleach down the loo, plump up cushions on the sofa, hoover every other day and I keep the kitchen tidy and clear as I like it that way plus if the cat jumps up it's easy to wipe down easily.

I keep the place clutter free so it's easier to keep tidy.

MissPunnyMany Fri 22-Apr-16 13:23:48

Probably the same i.e. 1-2 hours, but broken up over the day. I'm a clutter-hater though and tidy as I go whenever I'm at home. I hate untidyness, it grates on me.

Mishaps Fri 22-Apr-16 13:24:59

2 hours a WEEK at the very most - life is far too short for anything more.

G1raffe Fri 22-Apr-16 13:26:33

Hours?! How? When? No wonder I'm not on top of my house. Mines too small for the amount of things though.

CaptainCrunch Fri 22-Apr-16 13:29:36

It gets a good clean once a week which takes about 2 hours and half an hour a day after that.

kimlo Fri 22-Apr-16 13:30:30

Ive just finished my big weekend clean, I started at half 9 so thats 4 hours.

Then on a saturday and sunday about an hour and a half, but with ironing on top of that on a sunday which on average an hour and a half sometimes 2.

Mondays is about an hour and a half after work.

Tuesday to thursday is about half an hour a day because im in from work later.

Most of its routine and I dont notice im doing it half the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now