Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To dislike my dog right now?

(42 Posts)
QuestionableMouse Fri 22-Apr-16 05:46:09

As soon as it gets light every morning he starts howling to be 'up' and I can't cope with it much longer! He's fine (vet checked a couple of weeks ago), wants nothing (has access to dry food, water and has been out to toilet within the last ten minutes). He just doesn't want to be in the kitchen where he sleeps and I can't fucking cope for much longer. I've had three hours sleep (was on a late shift at work).

I don't know what else to do with him. He wants for nothing, gets a good walk every day but I feel like he's ruining my life right now. I just want a nights sleep without running about after him ffs!

timeforabrewnow Fri 22-Apr-16 05:51:17

Black out blinds?

blueskyinmarch Fri 22-Apr-16 05:56:57

My dog sleeps in crate with a cover and the kitchen has blinds so it keeps things fairly dark for her. Maybe you could try something similar? Or have you got a darker room he can sleep in? You need to treat this like a child who won’t sleep once it is light.

rosie1959 Fri 22-Apr-16 05:57:07

How long have you had him ?

QuestionableMouse Fri 22-Apr-16 09:53:17

15 years!

I don't have room for a crate. I've ordered some black out material though.

CaptainCrunch Fri 22-Apr-16 09:58:24

He's old, cut him some slack. At that age you won't have him for much longer anyway. I would make the most of my time with the old chap and have him in my room beside me, maybe he just needs some reassurance.

MrsJayy Fri 22-Apr-16 10:01:27

He is getting on a bit maybe a bit lonely can you leave some doors open round the house so he can wander or have him near you.

Leviticus Fri 22-Apr-16 10:08:49

Just have him put down.

Leviticus Fri 22-Apr-16 10:09:39

Or you know, blackout blinds.

Collaborate Fri 22-Apr-16 10:10:03

Maybe he's less able to hold in his toiling than he was. You need to try and cut him some slack. Consider too allowing him to sleep on your bedroom floor if it's company he's after. As PPs have mentioned, you won't have him for much longer. Make what time he has left as nice as possible for him.

Spanielcrackers Fri 22-Apr-16 10:42:32

I know you had him checked by the vet, but is there any possibility he has canine dementia? My dog had this and it's incredibly stressful for both the dog and owner.
He panicked if he woke up and I wasn't there. In the end I slept downstairs with him and the vet prescribed xanax.

liz70 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:58:15

Our dog is 8, so not particularly old, but the past year or so he has started on occasion to wake up in the night and howl to be let out of his crate. He doesn't want the toilet, and will only settle if we take him into our bed. We figured out that we'd get more sleep that way, rather than trying to force him to stay in his crate and cry. He ends up stretched out between the two of us so long as he doesn't decide to fidgetarse around.

I agree your dog is old and probably more unsure and needing of your company. It's obviously up to you if you're prepared to have him in your bed.

sonjadog Fri 22-Apr-16 12:02:36

My dog is 12 1/2. He is starting to get "good ideas" about things, like that we should go out for walks at 2am. Can you tell more about canine dementia, spaniel? I have wondered if there is something going on with my dog.

mudandmayhem01 Fri 22-Apr-16 12:08:47

I have gradually got softer on my dog as he has got older. All the stuff that helped him to be a really good dog ( eating after us, no titbits, not allowed on the furniture) seem less important now he is 16. I think all the training was drilled in years ago and just let him enjoy his twilight years.

pigsDOfly Fri 22-Apr-16 12:10:18

Does sound as if it could be dementia related. Poor old love, he probably just needs a bit of reassurance and companionship.

Agree with pp who suggested letting him sleep near you. My, much younger dog, sleeps on my bed and never wakes before I get up - I'm retired so not that early. Only time I've ever been disturbed by her was, recently, when she had to eat grass and vomit (slightly dodgy stomach problem) and that was just the one night.

waveuponwave Fri 22-Apr-16 12:21:33

Wtaf Leviticus

MrsJayy Fri 22-Apr-16 12:22:42

I never let dogs on beds but my dog likes to be near us so i guess for an elderly dogthey might need that extra reassurance

SeptemberFlowers Fri 22-Apr-16 12:37:08

Leviticus WTF?! angry You're really not helping the OP with a stupid suggestion like that. You've commented before that you don't like dogs so why the hell would you open a post clearly marked as a dog one and post shit like that ?

Prime example of being a GF right there !

Leviticus Fri 22-Apr-16 12:44:45

It was a joke. Misjudged, clearly. Apologies OP.

September you are thinking of someone else, I've never said any such thing. I love dogs!

Leviticus Fri 22-Apr-16 12:46:34

In my defence the OP has a jokey title and the thread got serious regarding possible illnesses after I posted.

Off to dog house...

Leviticus Fri 22-Apr-16 12:49:57

What is a GF?

pigsDOfly Fri 22-Apr-16 12:54:17

Goady Fucker Leviticus.

I realized you were being tongue in cheek, if it helps smile

liz70 Fri 22-Apr-16 12:57:18

Ah'm gunna send ma dawg roond tae poke yer eye oot wi' his claw, Leviticus. He's dead 'ard like that. Be very afeared.

QuestionableMouse Fri 22-Apr-16 13:02:31

He's not on his own in the kitchen, he has three other dogs with him. He's not getting bullied or anything.

Last time I tried him in the bedroom he wouldn't settle but it might be worth another try.

NickiFury Fri 22-Apr-16 13:03:01

Can't you just let him be near you seeing as he's so old. My dog is 14 and in heart failure so won't be around much longer. All bets are off regarding discipline etc, what's the point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now