Talk

Advanced search

to ask about sun safety at school?

(68 Posts)
CupCakeHandyBox Thu 21-Apr-16 19:09:33

I think DD's class went outside at the first sign of sun on Tuesday and haven't been back in since. Apparently they have been doing work, but I think they've mostly been playing with water and sand (by the looks of her uniform).

She isn't sunburned but she is definitely a little pink. They didn't put suncream on the children, although they did give them water. They were definitely out at 10am and 2pm, because I drove past and could see them all. There is no shade in the playground at all- it's such a sun trap.

If they do the same any later in the summer she will definitely burn.

dementedpixie Thu 21-Apr-16 19:12:22

It's your responsibility to put suncream on before she goes to school and provide a hat.

CMOTDibbler Thu 21-Apr-16 19:12:38

Buy once a day suncream (we use P20 f50) and apply in the morning.

YouSay Thu 21-Apr-16 19:12:59

You should put all day sunscreen on her and give her a hat. That is what we do on the rare occasions it is very hot.

NicknameUsed Thu 21-Apr-16 19:13:27

You can't expect teachers to put suncream on 30 kids. It is your responsibility.

CupCakeHandyBox Thu 21-Apr-16 19:14:18

I wish they would tell you this. They seem to expect you to know by osmosis.

So if it's a sunny day- suncream even just in case?

I will get her one of those caps with a neck and put it in her bag.

arethereanyleftatall Thu 21-Apr-16 19:15:44

Are you in the uk? It's about 14 degrees where I am. No need to think about suntan lotion yet.

Plus, at my dds school, if you want suntan lotion on your dc, Nd they can't do it themselves, then you need to apply it in the morning.

Yabu.

thomassodorisland Thu 21-Apr-16 19:15:51

Cupcake I think most parents cream their children before going to nursery and school anyway so they wouldn't think to put it in a letter.

The hat is a good idea for when they are outside learning.

thomassodorisland Thu 21-Apr-16 19:16:45

Arethey it was 18 degrees in the west of Scotland that's summer for us we all needed sun cream today and yesterday.

CupCakeHandyBox Thu 21-Apr-16 19:17:27

Yes. It was around 20 degrees this afternoon in Glasgow.

Does the daily stuff not rub off with a cardi over the top?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 21-Apr-16 19:18:07

I've been sending DD in with sunscreen for arms and legs , and a cap with a neck to protect her face and neck.

Schools in the UK generally seem to be really lax about this - there should be shade available in the playgrounds and they should require amsun hat to be allowed out. For some reason DDs nursery was really good on this, but now she is in primary school there is nothing.

While it is a parents responsibility, schools need to allow for people who are not aware that the sun in the UK is dangerous, and try to educate the parents/keep the kids safe.

MoggyP Thu 21-Apr-16 19:18:49

We had an Aussie TA for a while.

She was fine about applying sunscreen (you had to provide your own) and said it was not unduly time consuming once you've got into good habits about it.

There are no rules that say teachers can't do it, it's individual school policy.

Even stuff that is sold as 24 hour protection does not necessarily deliver it that, especially around necklines etc. A top up before lunchtime happens in all Aussie schools, and really should happen here too in the months when the suns rays are most intense.

Strokethefurrywall Thu 21-Apr-16 19:19:31

What arethere said - surely the sun is not strong enough to yet to be slapping on the factor 50?

Strokethefurrywall Thu 21-Apr-16 19:20:43

Wow, 20oc in Scotland?! My MIL must be delighted, she said it was hailing last week!

thomassodorisland Thu 21-Apr-16 19:22:56

Yes we are having a nice few days here in Scotland, always happens when the kids go back.

I've not had a problem with sun cream rubbing off but ds doesn't start full time school until August, can you dc top up themselves at lunchtime if you teach them.

Eyre89 Thu 21-Apr-16 19:23:33

NHS guidelines are you should put suncream on children march-october as it's the strength of the uv, not how hot it is. A friends ds got a slightly burnt nose the other day and it was only 15 degrees.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 21-Apr-16 19:24:31

Surely the sun is not strong enough to yet to be slapping on the factor 50?

Not correct. I've seen plenty of sunburnt people, and I got sunburned last month blush

My dermatologist (I had a melanoma removed) recommends factor 30+ between march and October.And proper sunscreen applied with the correct amount - not a light smear of SPF moisturiser. And a hat.

CupCakeHandyBox Thu 21-Apr-16 19:24:39

She's not the best at applying it! She'll happily squirt it on and then forgets to rub.

It will probably snow next week. This might be summer!

DeadGood Thu 21-Apr-16 19:25:51

arethere "suntan lotion"? Rather outdated terminology, don't you think? I'm pretty surprised that people still think it's ok to put sunscreen on in the morning and hope for the best. It makes a lot more sense to apply it as and when needed.
Hats also have to be put on as and when needed, sounds like the OP's daughter's school didn't manage that either.
OP, YANBU.

ClemFandango Thu 21-Apr-16 19:26:07

I burnt yesterday and we are in Yorkshire! Nursery always put sunscreen on my DS before playing out. I wouldn't have realised that this doesn't happen in school if I hadn't been told. Handy to know for the future.

DeadGood Thu 21-Apr-16 19:28:41

" it's the strength of the uv, not how hot it is."

Agree with this. Not sure why people still think like this but they say the same sort of thing at Dd's nursery, so I suspect she'll be getting burnt this summer too.

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 21-Apr-16 19:30:33

You still need sunscreen even if it's not warm out. People sunburn on skiing holidays - the temperature has nothing to do with it!

madamginger Thu 21-Apr-16 19:32:47

I cream my lot up before school, our school don't allow the children to bring cream in their bags in case of allergies hmm so
Last summer I went up to school every lunchtime and topped the kids up with more cream, I was the only parent out of 250 kids to do so blush
I don't care though, I'm ginger and my kids have inherited my pale freckley skin and I'd rather they didn't get skin cancer

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 21-Apr-16 19:34:59

It's also worth noting that I'm pretty sure that you are not allowed to sell "once a day" sunscreen in Australia - they all say to reapply every 2 hours minimum...

thomassodorisland Thu 21-Apr-16 19:35:07

Cupcake your probably right about the snow.

If you were to cream her in the morning and try teaching her to top up she may get better with time but at least she'll have had some protection.

I'm shocked they don't have any shade working in the heat will probably make the children less able to concentrate if it's all day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now