AIBU to think if I didn't work and didn't have young children my house would be a palace?!

(15 Posts)
Nospringflower Thu 21-Apr-16 11:32:27

Have had 2 days off work and done nothing except tidy, washing, online shopping etc. I'm thinking that if I didn't work I would be able to get all these jobs done while the children were at school and the house would look great all the time without all the jobs all building up. Or would the reality be different?!

It is also lovely weather which helps!

WellErrr Thu 21-Apr-16 11:34:51

Yeah, for a week.

Then you'd find better ways to fill your time.

Nospringflower Thu 21-Apr-16 11:40:18

I did wonder about that but thought I'd then be able to keep it up. You can tell I'm getting bored with it all already!

SistersOfPercy Thu 21-Apr-16 11:43:52

YABU
I work 2 hours a day and the kids are 18 and 21. My intentions are all there, but then a good book gets in the way or something I want to catch up with on TV that DH isn't keen on.
Then my mind will wander to baking a cake, walking the dog or doing a water change in the fish tanks.

I concluded life was too short to worry. It's basically clean and tidy but palatial it will never be grin

MrsWembley Thu 21-Apr-16 11:44:59

I've just gone back to work part- time and I was wondering how I'd find the time to do all the things I do to keep the place in some sort of order...

And then I thought, it's never in any sort of order for more than five minutes before the DC wreck it again!grin

So I'm currently trying to reconcile my desire for a show house with my desire to keep my DCs happy. Wish me luck!

So, really, if you didn't work, you'd still only have a palace when the DCs are out. And then each and every day you'd find yourself starting again with the tidying. Or is this only my life?

Oysterbabe Thu 21-Apr-16 11:47:10

Mine wouldn't grin
DD just had a 2 hour nap and I made excellent use of the time getting started on a 1000 piece GOT jigsaw my brother gave me.

NapQueen Thu 21-Apr-16 11:48:00

I have a 4yo and an 18mo and wonder what I filled my time with but I do remember there was always chores to do or clothes to put away and I usually napped or went out with friends (when not working) so they didn't get done.

Whilst I am busier now, massively so, and there are now four of us making messes and all the chap that kids need, I am definitely more organised and more likely to have done the housework.

The more you have to get done the more you actually get done.

Nospringflower Thu 21-Apr-16 11:49:45

My problem is mine isn't even clean & tidy - everything needs doing. It needs repainted, new boiler etc but just keeping up with the day to day organisation feels like a struggle never mind doing anything extra. I have made a list with the plan of trying to do one thing a day from the list but I'm not really that motivated.

Whereas, with these 2 days off I've watched homes under the hammer, come dine with me etc while tidying etc and it's all seemed quite pleasant!!

OhGodWhatTheHellNow Thu 21-Apr-16 13:29:08

Yeah, now my dcs are in full time school I have the time to keep the place a lot bit tidier but not the inclination, I don't want to spend all my time cleaning when there are more interesting things to do like this so just do enough so that the place isn't squalid. When DH is off he is constantly busy with maintenancey stuff, makes me feel a bit bad.

Anyway, by the time I've spent all morning picking up lego and corralling my little ponies, there's no time left to dust the skirting. I spent an hour looking for a missing lego hairpiece in the garden this morning, honest, not enjoying the sunshine at all, oh no grin. I didn't find it so I'll look again tomorrow if it's a really sunny morning...

SaucyJack Thu 21-Apr-16 14:22:26

Nah, YABU.

Obviously kids, work, etc. make every day life harder- but you are either the kind of person who is motivated to keep an immaculate house, or you are not IMO.

People who give a shiny do find the time. The rest of us..... meh.

ManneryTowers Thu 21-Apr-16 14:52:57

No, you'd spend your spare time on Mumsnet!

JamieVardysParty Thu 21-Apr-16 15:12:42

I work from home part-time, study part-time, have no kids and a cleaner who comes twice a week.

My place is ridiculously clean and tidy.

Until DH comes home. I call him Hurricane Name - he leaves a trail of destruction in his wake.

WhereYouLeftIt Thu 21-Apr-16 16:14:37

My house used to be a palace. I worked full time, but lived alone in a 2-bed flat. There's no mess when you live alone, because you tend to clear up behind you.

Dishes done straight after dinner (and I didn't have a dishwasher back then), living room dusted and hoovered daily it's lucky if it gets it quarterly these days , a weekly wash done at the launderette and all ironing done that evening, even my windows were washed inside and out weekly. I can't believe how houseproud I was then. (Complete slattern now.)

OneMagnumisneverenough Thu 21-Apr-16 16:18:15

By the time the kids have left home and i'm able to retire from working full time, I'll be too old to drag my zimmer frame about and have a nice tidy house - i've resigned myself to living in a permanent hovel.

Clandestino Thu 21-Apr-16 16:20:56

I hear you sister. Knowing myself though, I'd be screaming with boredom after a week and longing for something to keeping me busy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now