Talk

Advanced search

What is wrong with people?

(23 Posts)
Pixienott0005 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:50:02

Why is this site full of people who take pleasure in being so unsupportive.

ElizabethNRN Wed 20-Apr-16 15:51:51

Perhaps they are David Cameron supporters.

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 20-Apr-16 15:53:16

Is it?

It's usually pretty fair imo. If there are unjustified arsey or unsupportive replies on a thread then they generally get picked up on by the more sensible posters.

MTPurse Wed 20-Apr-16 15:53:59

There are cocks in every walk of life, Not just on MN.

edwardsmum11 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:54:14

No idea but finding the primary education part of the site very supportive as is SEN part. I only come into the AIBU to browse and read about funky sweet eaters.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 20-Apr-16 15:54:59

Glass half empty. I see threads all the time where people only engage with people giving them a hard time and ignore the helpful, supportive, awesome people.

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 20-Apr-16 15:55:11

Can you give examples of what you mean?

RudeElf Wed 20-Apr-16 15:57:55

name names or it didnt happen

RobotMenu Wed 20-Apr-16 15:57:55

I think the first few posters often dictate how the thread goes. Start of with a few with a bee in their bonnet and the thread takes off.

I find a lot of hypocrisy. Some days something is acceptable, others the same thing is treated like the worst thing ever.

Some days you can have an opinion, others you are massively censored.

RaeSkywalker Wed 20-Apr-16 15:58:02

I generally think this is a wonderful, supportive site. I don't know where I would be without the HG support thread at the moment.

There are some goady posts but you get difficult people everywhere!

Pixienott0005 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:58:46

I've seen so many posts on here though where people's words have been twisted and it's obvious people have done that to be sarcastic.

Honestly some people come on here for genuine help and their stories have a bunch of people who just want to start a row on them. On all of the chats on here I've seen it!

edwardsmum11 Wed 20-Apr-16 16:00:34

Maybe if it bothers you so much it may be best to distance yourself from here so it doesn't upset you?

RobotMenu Wed 20-Apr-16 16:02:13

Even here, I sense awkwardness from the replies (defensiveness?) wink

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 20-Apr-16 16:03:23

Are you talking about AIBU? Because there is no reason for every bloody subject to be on AIBU. People use it 'for the traffic' then wonder why they get a bunch of uninformed, shitty replies.

When DD didn't sleep, I was on a lovely supportive thread for a long time. It was a team, on Sleep. Not blinking AIBU!

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Wed 20-Apr-16 16:21:18

If you're visiting AIBU for 'genuine help' then you'd probably be better off doing your research and picking one of the many many other topics which cover just about every eventuality.

herecomethepotatoes Wed 20-Apr-16 16:35:55

A combination of jumping on the bandwagon as well as being nasty behind their cloak of anonymity OP.

People who suggest things like, "it's AIBU, what do you expect?" perhaps need to consider their position a little more clearly. Is it suggesting that bile and absolutely horrible replies are par for the course if you dare post in this Lord of the Flies style forum?

I suspect that many members are actually reasonably pleasant in real life.

YelloRoses Wed 20-Apr-16 17:09:57

Because its the internet and everybody is a Gangster here.

MrHannahSnell Wed 20-Apr-16 17:51:19

Every website and on line forum has such people IME. MN probably has fewer of them than many others.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 20-Apr-16 20:22:20

Is it suggesting that bile and absolutely horrible replies are par for the course if you dare post in this Lord of the Flies style forum? No I'm suggesting that if you ask for quantity rather than quality of replies, that is exactly what you will get.

RobotMenu Wed 20-Apr-16 20:39:23

Why can't you have quantity and quality?

This is a chat forum were talking about, not npbulk-buying goods at a discount shop.

CaptainCrunch Wed 20-Apr-16 20:47:32

My first post ever on here was about a colleague taking something that didn't belong to her. Some of the replies I got were breathtakingly nasty. One poster in particular was really horrible and kept quoting the bible at me, inbetween calling me a twat and other unpleasant things. I stuck it out and the thread eventually turned supportive but I was almost put off the place for life. The previously prolific nasty poster has never been seen again. She's either name changed or deregistered. I'm glad I stopped her from attacking others.

SabineUndine Wed 20-Apr-16 20:50:50

I'm actually surprised by how reasonable most of the replies are. Except for the obvious trolls, of course, but that's trolls for you.

Itinerary Wed 20-Apr-16 20:55:07

I agree that it can seem like nearly everything ends up in AIBU, whatever the topic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now