To think their builders start work a bit early

(7 Posts)
LadyBaelish Wed 20-Apr-16 08:56:51

Neighbours have builders in to completely renovate their house in the hopes of selling when the work is done. The builders start work between 7:30 and 7:45 every day, 8am on Saturday. Drilling, hammering, ripping fixtures out, everything you'd expect. I know it's going to be noisy but AIBU to think 7:30 is a bit early to be making so much noise or am I just bitter about losing the lie-ins I was so looking forward to during my week off work?

scarednoob Wed 20-Apr-16 09:01:30

Each council will have its own guidelines - if you google your council name and building times, they should come up. Bigger companies usually stick to those guidelines but smaller ones might not. Hope this helps - yes you want to be reasonable and a good neighbour, but sometimes it goes right through you!

mummymeister Wed 20-Apr-16 09:05:16

I am an ex eho and we used to say 7am - 7pm. with particularly noise sensitive sites you could restrict the noisy activities to 8 - 6 but it will depend on what your local councils guidelines are. building works by its nature are noisy so very difficult to deal with as a stat nuisance. however, if they have loud radios on then this can be dealt with formally. hope this helps and that the works finish soon.

ToucheShay Wed 20-Apr-16 09:06:46

Can you go around and ask they do quieter jobs at those times, but don't start hammering and drilling until later.

I certainly think Saturday should be later.

Did your neighbours inform you of the building work, and indicate how long it will go on for?

LadyBaelish Wed 20-Apr-16 09:22:11

Just Googled, building times here are 8-6, not sure if I'd seem a bit petty talking to them for the sake of 15-30 minutes but I might ask if they could hold off on the really noisy stuff until 8.

And no, neighbour didn't say a word until we saw him in the garden at about 2pm on Saturday..."Oh, we've got the builders in!" we'd worked that out by then!

TheoriginalLEM Wed 20-Apr-16 09:26:06

my dp is a builder and wouldn't start that early. it actually slows him down but its called consideration for othets

whois Wed 20-Apr-16 10:36:51

I went upstairs in a rage a few months ago and shouted at a poor builder who was working on upstairs flat. He started work at SEVEN AM on a SUNDAY and was right above our bedroom putting in a new flooring.

Did have the desired result that he apologized, stopped until 9am (per our council guidelines) and then started on the section of the flat above the living room rather than above our heads!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now