Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to do 5:2 / Low Carb while TTC?

(14 Posts)
LadyAntonella Wed 20-Apr-16 08:45:26

I already posted on weight loss but am posting here for traffic.

I think I know the answer to this is yes AIBU, as I keep reading online that these aren't the best eating plans while TTC or while pregnant. I'd like to do something which I could continue with while pregnant (if I get there - fingers crossed)!

I am 5'8" and about 4 kilos overweight so would like to get to a healthy bmi asap and have always had success with 5:2 and LC.

I tried SW as I heard this is approved in pregnancy, but I found I didn't get on with all the low fat dairy, which we don't normally eat in my house. Also I found measuring syns was hard work when I cook for myself, a toddler (so no salt) and my naturally slim DH. With no salt and next to no fat in food I can't manage to make it taste nice. Possibly doing something wrong..? I also find I don't enjoy slimming club meetings (have tried WW and SW), but I could always do an online one.

Re-reading the above I seem very hard to please and possibly I need to just suck it up and do SW or similar. Hopefully someone can advise

ArriettyMatilda Wed 20-Apr-16 08:57:25

Actually I was doing 5:2 when I fell pregnant. We weren't desperate to conceive but it happened maybe a month or so into 5:2, even though I'd been off the pill for around 6 months. I did stop whilst pregnant, but found I was already used to eating what I needed rather than for comfort by then. I would love to try it again but I'm worried about the impact of doing it whilst breastfeeding. I lost some weight last year and it did slip off as I was breastfeeding several times a day but I also struggled with lower milk around my period and awful mode swings. They seem to have stopped now I've stopped regulating my eating. I also added salt to home cooked meals from when dd was 18 months and we don't avoid fats!

Oysterbabe Wed 20-Apr-16 09:00:35

Yanbu. I did 5:2 and low carb while TTC and stopped when I got my bfp.

LadyAntonella Wed 20-Apr-16 09:08:33

Oh thanks both - that's reassuring. Tbf I was low carbing when I got my BFP last time. Should step the hell away from Google!

CallarMorvern Wed 20-Apr-16 09:26:01

I struggled to conceive, took 3yrs to fall pregnant. I was a bit overweight, but not obese or anything. I finally conceived after being on a lo carb diet for 2mths, I didn't cut all carbs, just refined carbs and wheat and upped my protein. So in my case it definitely helped ttc smile

SaucyJack Wed 20-Apr-16 09:30:18

Did you have any problems when trying for your toddler?

If not, then crack on. Plenty of unplanned pregnancies happen every year when people are eating, drinking and smoking all manner of shite.

I dunno what the answer is if you need to maximise your fertility though.

RuckingMarvellous Wed 20-Apr-16 09:30:19

If it's so low calorie you are in ketosis, then I wouldn't. Ketosis in pregnancy has been correlated with numerous problems.

QuiteLikely5 Wed 20-Apr-16 09:32:14

Cutting sugar out is never a bad thing pregnant or not! Doing 5:2 is not bad for pregnancy either.

Nothing at all will happen to your baby doing the above and when the experts state you need X amount of calories is just tosh.

In my second pregnancy I could hardly eat in the latter stages and we were all fine!

The time to worry about eating and pregnancy is if you are an anorexic with a dangerously low bmi

smile

LadyAntonella Wed 20-Apr-16 09:40:17

Thanks all. No we didn't have any problems TTC DD. I wouldn't be doing a very low carb, ketogenic type diet as it makes me feel horrible for weeks and I can't really deal with it while looking after DD. I'll probably crack on with 5:2 next week (can't this week due to social events) and also reduce carbs overall and cut out the refined ones like sugar, bread, pasta etc. Have already cut down massively on alcohol and will continue with that.

Helgathehairy Wed 20-Apr-16 09:41:51

Another one who got pregnant while doing the 5:2 here! My cycle was always erratic so I actually was doing the 5:2 for most of the first month of pregnancy and DD is fine!

YorkieDorkie Wed 20-Apr-16 09:52:56

I was on s low carb cleanse when I got pregnant! Healthy baby girl smile.

specialsubject Wed 20-Apr-16 10:19:31

Eating lesswpnt stop pregnancy as long as you don't go too thin, which stops periods - natures method of preventing breeding when there's not enough food.

Cleanse diets are babble - you have a liver and kidneys. Dietd that need to be used more than once didn't work - but diets rarely work.

Eat properly in the right portions, take your folic acid and shag lots for best odds.

DoJo Wed 20-Apr-16 10:43:59

I had to low carb when pregnant as I got gestational diabetes, so I can't imagine it's a bad idea when just TTC.

LadyAntonella Wed 20-Apr-16 11:09:06

...shag lots for best odds.

Haha will do!

Yes I'm taking folic acid and vitamin d.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now