Talk

Advanced search

DSis giving away my baby things..

(12 Posts)
Imaginosity Tue 19-Apr-16 22:58:28

So maybe I am being a bit unreasonable but I do feel a bit annoyed about this.

I let my DSis1 take my child's buggy for use by a friend of hers who was visiting our area on holiday. No problem with this as it was just to be used for the weekend and it was nice to be able to help. Full understanding that it was to be given back to me afterward.

In the meantime DSis2 announced she is pregnant.

No one knows I am also pregnant - I'm holding off telling as I've had several miscarriages and I'm waiting for another scan.

DSis1 today decided to drop the buggy herself direct to DSis2 - so DSIs2 can use it for her baby. She did not ask me before doing this. I did have a missed call from DSis1 about an hour before she dropped it but it seems because I didn't get a chance to answer she's gone ahead and dropped the buggy off.

What kind of annoys me too is that DSis1 is quite stingy with money despite having plenty of it - I feel like she's gifted an item I own and i will hopefully need myself.

Surely she should have returned the buggy to me and if i wanted to give it to DSis2 then I will drop it myself? I want my buggy back back - and Dsis2 will probably hand it straight back when I tell everyone I'm pregnant. I don't want to have to ask her for it

CocktailQueen Tue 19-Apr-16 23:00:43

Ingrates!

Yes, dsis should have given the buggy back to you.

How rude she is!

Contact dsis2 and ask for it back.

ollieplimsoles Tue 19-Apr-16 23:02:48

Yanbu! Your sister was really out of order to give away your things like that.

It's now turned a happy occasion into a bit of an awkward one because you need the buggy back!
I really hope this pregnancy goes smoothly for you op, congratulations flowers

BoomBoomsCousin Tue 19-Apr-16 23:03:53

It's annoying and not the best, but it doesn't sound like she was being selfish, just a little presumptuous, which isn't so terrible in families - it's awkward being really formal with family too.

You don't have to tell anyone you're pregnant, you can just say to both DSis that you are trying or, if that's a bit too much at this stage, that you have already promised it to a friend.

OwlinaTree Tue 19-Apr-16 23:04:11

Yes ring dsis2 and say, sorry dsis1 must have misunderstood, I wanted my buggy back for now, sorry. I'll come and fetch it (whenever suits).

Congratulations on your pg!

Witchend Tue 19-Apr-16 23:14:54

Tell her you've already promised it to someone (you, but she doesn't need to know that)

ThumbWitchesAbroad Tue 19-Apr-16 23:39:24

I expect she thought you would have offered anyway and was trying to be helpful, but she was really just being officious and should have checked with you first, NOT just handed your stuff over.

Sorry she's put you in an awkward situation but sounds like your Dsis2 will be fine with giving it back once she knows that you have need of it too!

DontMindMe1 Tue 19-Apr-16 23:52:06

remind dsis1 it's not nice to steal....and she owes dsis2 a replacement buggy now for ruining the moment grin

Alasalas2 Wed 20-Apr-16 00:14:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AugustaFinkNottle Wed 20-Apr-16 00:16:52

Tell Dsis1 you lent it to her for the weekend only and you never said she could keep it for longer, let alone that she could give it to anyone else. Put the onus on her to tell DSis2 that she messed up.

MattDillonsPants Wed 20-Apr-16 00:31:12

Oh how annoying! People ARE weird about baby stuff. My sister once gave me a sack...massive...stuffed with very high quality boys' clothing which she said was for my two friends who both have boys.

I meant for them to choose things from the bag....showed it to the first friend and said "My sister says to just choose what you like and then Mel can have a look too" and the friend went through the bag and said "I'll have it all I think!"

And I was too shock to say anything!

It was clear that she was meant to select her choices...most people would be happy they had first pick and take roughly half surely? Leaving some nice items for the other person! Lucky I'd not mentioned it to the other mate!

Imaginosity Wed 20-Apr-16 00:32:26

I think there is an attitude into family that the people to have the first children (me & DH) can shell out lots of money on all the baby equipment and everyone else can line up to take it for free.

My family rarely babysit and have hardly spent any money on gifts for my children. Obviously they don't have to be generous with their time or money - but they shouldn't presume my things are free to be carved up amongst them once they feel I'm done with them.

I've no problem sharing if I don't feel taken for granted.

I actually had to work hard to earn the money to pay for all this stuff initially.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now