To wish The Body Shop were back in all its 1970s glory?

(102 Posts)
SabineUndine Tue 19-Apr-16 21:40:34

Honestly, all the earlier talk about baths has got me going. I've got Bayliss and Harding strawberry and pomegranate shower soap but it's not Body Shop strawberry body wash with sea salt. Oh, how I miss the multifarious bath gunges they used to do.

Baconyum Tue 19-Apr-16 21:42:52

I'd be happy if they simply hadn't betrayed all their ethics! I haven't passed one in years with any customers in including ones in Central Glasgow. They betrayed their principles.

annandale Tue 19-Apr-16 21:43:02

I have to say I think the Body Shop's had a bit of an upturn recently from a very low base why not have a look.

Could you be missing your youth rather than the Body Shop [a very 'headtilt' thing to say, sorry]

justdontevenfuckingstart Tue 19-Apr-16 21:45:01

My High School years stank of Dewberry. DD1 got a lot of stuff from them in the past 18 months due to a good reward scheme. She is a bit of a Lush fan tho.

SinglePringle Tue 19-Apr-16 21:45:22

They were the first to do a cleansing balm too. Honey & beeswax. Was amazing. And their orange marmalade body scrub was brilliant. And the Japanese washing grains (ripped off by Dermalogica). And the banana hair mask. Good products in ye olden days...

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 19-Apr-16 21:45:59

Raspberry ripple bubbles and morello cheery lip balm

SabineUndine Tue 19-Apr-16 21:47:18

Oh the orange cream bubble bath of yore! I'd forgotten that.

budgiegirl Tue 19-Apr-16 21:55:38

My teen years were a heady combination of White Musk, Japanese wash grains and coconut hair gel. I miss the old Body Shop!

woodwaj Tue 19-Apr-16 21:57:13

My cousin buys it me every birthday and Christmas. Can't stand the stuff!! I'm in too deep to tell her though 😅

ingeniousidiot Tue 19-Apr-16 21:57:22

Kiwi lip balm and elderflower eye gel.

blearynweary Tue 19-Apr-16 21:57:26

Japanese wash grains!!!

MARMALADE SCRUB

OMG whiplash back in time

Magicpaintbrush Tue 19-Apr-16 21:59:03

Aaaah, White Musk and Dewberry. I used to have those flavours, I loved them. I never go in Body Shop now though, it seems over priced and suddenly a bit pretentious?? And it is always empty. It just isn't the same anymore. I used to really enjoy pootling about in there, but not these days.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 19-Apr-16 21:59:08

Its so expensive now sad

Slowtrain2dawn Tue 19-Apr-16 21:59:24

Dewberry perfume oil! I absolutely loved it. Our body shop had a round revolving stand with all the little glass bottles of different oils on. This was the late 80's though. Heaven.

enchantedfairytale Tue 19-Apr-16 22:02:03

I loved dewberry too grin (90s teen)

I also liked banana shampoo, and soaps in the shape of animals.

Lush became popular sometime in my late teens / early 20s. It seems to be the Body Shop of the day, if you like.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 19-Apr-16 22:05:43

I loved the carrot moisturizing cream --even though it gave you an orange tinge. My sister was obsessed with peppermint foot cream.

loobypas Tue 19-Apr-16 22:05:57

Anita Roddick was an amazing woman, such a vision. Sadly L'oreal own The Body Shop now. Enough said I think.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 19-Apr-16 22:07:28

I remember Lush when it started - mail order only. I had eyeshadows that you bought as individual segments that fitted into a circular box, like Dairylea Triangles! Wasn't cheap either.

CobblerBob Tue 19-Apr-16 22:08:32

I used to love their ice blue shampoo.

I got put off dewberry by my then boyfriend picking me up from home. It went like this:
Him: sniff, have you been cleaning?
Me: no
Him: sniff. I can smell cleaning fluid. It's really strong. Sniff. It's definitely coming from you! No, that's you, that's cleaning stuff.

GraysAnalogy Tue 19-Apr-16 22:09:04

Everytime I go in it's got more expensive and everythings the same.

MeredithFrampton Tue 19-Apr-16 22:11:21

I still use the peppermint foot lotion. Loved the cooling foot spray too and all the pink raspberry (??) Stuff.

YoJesse Tue 19-Apr-16 22:13:04

I remember being fascinated by their lip balms (born early mid eighties, so not quite the 70S heyday). The morello cherry one I can so clearly smell right now, like it's right here. Mmm.

Lightbulbon Tue 19-Apr-16 22:14:26

Yes it remind me of being a teenager.

It isn't the same shop now.

I don't know how it survives.
So expensive and has lost its USP.

RaeSkywalker Tue 19-Apr-16 22:16:22

Their latest thing is putting perfumes etc in loads of packaging- the whole point was that it should mainly be just bottles on shelves, no unnecessary packaging- it's totally lost its Eco ethos. I used to buy Body Shop religiously until a year or so ago- the only thing I buy now is the hemp hand cream and lip balm as I can't find an alternative that's as good.

Ah, banana shampoo. Happy days!

Destinysdaughter Tue 19-Apr-16 22:22:43

They used to do an amazing peanut butter type face mask. It made my face so glowy! Never found anything that had the same effect since.

Still wear their Beech lip pencil tho, fantastic for nude lipsticks!

And I do like their Rainforest range shampoo and conditioner as they're SLS and silicone free and you can usually get them with a money off voucher. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now