to think it tales a special kind of wankbadger to fine the homeless *for being homeless*?

(67 Posts)
TaintMyBag Tue 19-Apr-16 08:35:38

to fine the homeless for being homeless?

Our local council is instating Public Space Protection Orders which mean that police can fine people for being poor. It's mean, it's nasty and surely it's a waste of tax payer's money as well? They can be fined for sleeping rough or begging. Well surely this will be all that's needed to persuade them to not do that any more... they can just pay rent to avoid the fine.

engage.adur-worthing.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/save-as-PDF-458922-Draft-Public-Space-Protection-Orders-Worthing-10.12.16.pdf

SuburbanRhonda Tue 19-Apr-16 08:39:53

Yes of course, all they need to is stop being homeless and everything will be fine hmm

LurkingHusband Tue 19-Apr-16 08:41:52

Send them to jail - it's the only answer.

I wonder how they will rebrand workhouses for the millenials ?

BreconBeBuggered Tue 19-Apr-16 08:42:35

The same kind of wankbadger who thinks it's a lifestyle choice. You can see the attraction: no roof, cold floors, no running water other than drunks pissing on you while you sleep, nowhere to feel safe.

Junosmum Tue 19-Apr-16 08:42:47

I really dispair at this country sometimes. We are losing our compassion.

TaintMyBag Tue 19-Apr-16 08:45:04

I wonder if those starving food poor families and homeless people have considered just eating cake?

wonkylegs Tue 19-Apr-16 08:48:33

There are idiots who think that being poor is a choice (generally people who have been exceptionally lucky in life) and that if people just tried a bit harder they could choose not to be homeless, have a disability, MH issues, financial or personal difficulties etc ....
Our ward councillor is one of these people and I cannot listen to her speak on the subject without wanting to punch her self satisfied face. She literally cannot understand the concept that not everybody is wealthy, healthy and the same as her. (I did not vote for her)

TaintMyBag Tue 19-Apr-16 08:49:02

We live very near Brighton where over 50 homeless people have died in past three years from preventable reasons. It's insane.

WerewolvesNotSwearwolves Tue 19-Apr-16 08:49:50

They just need a spa day. That'll fix it.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 19-Apr-16 08:51:25

Bloody hell. How utterly vile.

And yes, I agree that there is an attitude now that poverty is a choice that people are making. I hate it

wannabehippyandcrazycatlover Tue 19-Apr-16 08:56:09

I had an acquaintance recently advise me that being poor was a choice and that they needed to 'make the right choices' and 'work a bit harder'. He claimed that he had started from nothing and was now earning ridiculous amounts of money. Now, I'm from a middle class family, in a very middle class area and went to a very well thought of school- he was in my class and I know his family who are fairly wealthy, so hardly from 'nothing'.

People are fucking ridiculous and we need more compassion. How about looking at social deprivation and the reasons behind this and address them rather than a continual vitriolic attack on the poor.

Wank badgers indeed.

Fratelli Tue 19-Apr-16 08:57:57

Jesus this is awful. I mean what is the thought process behind this? I used to work with homeless individuals and there was such a range of reasons why they are homeless. I thought attitudes were shifting a bit but it looks like we've gone backwards unfortunately. It's so sad.

ParanoidGynodroid Tue 19-Apr-16 08:58:46

Yes, the best way to deal with these moneyless wastrels is to fine them hmm

Bloody horrible.

MrsGradyOldLady Tue 19-Apr-16 08:58:52

I wonder how long it will be before work houses are reintroduced. Under a different name of course.

BadDoGooder Tue 19-Apr-16 09:00:26

Its utterly disgusting, and shames us a supposedly "civilised" country.
Sadly I too come across more and more people who seem to think it is a fucking lifestyle choice, and that having crippling arthritis/paranoid schizophrenia/no where to go (personal experiences BTW) should just try a little harder and somehow all these issues will just magically go away. Ffs.

Sick of the poor being treated as undeserving scum, people ate fucking dying, yet there are swathes of the population who won't be happy until we have workhouses, and those in need are made to beg for every scrap.

LurkingHusband Tue 19-Apr-16 09:01:34

I wonder how widely this is known ?

Is there a single petition anywhere or campaign (I have seen the Facebook event for the meeting in Worthing www.facebook.com/events/225810064474830 - however not having the "pleasure" of living in such a town (and I'm not sure I'd want to) it's of limited value.)

(Idly speculates on what would happen if all MNetters who are as disgusted by this as me decided not to shop in Worthing anymore. Hit them in the wallet - it's the only language they understand smile )

TaintMyBag Tue 19-Apr-16 09:08:03

Yes there is a petition!

www.change.org/p/worthing-council-say-no-to-pspo-stop-criminalising-worthing-s-rough-sleepers

TaintMyBag Tue 19-Apr-16 09:09:14

I didn't post it in the OP as MN like to stick you in the petitions section which is pretty dead. SO if the above gets deleted you can search for it online by typing in "Worthing against PSPOs"

TimeOfGlass Tue 19-Apr-16 09:14:04

This is a ridiculous policy. Surely it's obvious that rough sleepers aren't sleeping outside through choice?

And if they don't have money for a roof over their heads, how can anyone with half a brain reasonably expect them to have money to pay fines for sleeping rough?

Wdigin2this Tue 19-Apr-16 09:14:18

Don't get me started on this theme!
If you're an immigrant, well yes of course you're entitled to a home for you and your huge family! Not working...no probs, here's a truckload of dosh every month!!!

You served in the armed forces, you're now homeless, ah well you're not entitled to housing you don't have enough points....but you can doss down in this miserable hostel! No money, ah now there's a problem, if your homeless you can't get a job, so you cant get Jobseeker's Allowance, but here's a couple of quid to last you a few days!!
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

RaeSkywalker Tue 19-Apr-16 09:15:38

sad the next generation will judge us harshly for things like this.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 19-Apr-16 09:16:07

I've managed to sign it; whether they count my signature is another matter.

PipersOrange Tue 19-Apr-16 09:16:23

I was about to ask if you were near Brighton. They also do announcements on the train to not give money/food to homeless people and to call the police instead as it "encourages them" sad

SuburbanRhonda Tue 19-Apr-16 09:17:25

If you're an immigrant, well yes of course you're entitled to a home for you and your huge family! Not working...no probs, here's a truckload of dosh every month!!!

Well, that didn't take long, did it? hmm

TaintMyBag Tue 19-Apr-16 09:19:47

Well if they don't pay the initial fine they can be charged a £1000. hmm which would more than pay for a month's rent in a bedsit. Hmm wonder why the homeless hadn't considered that instead.

What happens if you do get a job and try and get yourself out of homelessness? Do you have to explain you are wanted for unpaid fines? People don't hire criminals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now