Talk

Advanced search

Please weigh in. The ultimate vacuum cleaner? Yet another comment from visiting family about our shedding rugs... Experiences/opinions gladly sought!

(57 Posts)
Rainbunny Tue 19-Apr-16 03:00:56

I'm fed up with my cheap duo vacuum cleaner/floor steamer (they perform 50% of the time on both tasks) and I have concluded that I'd be happier with a seriously hardcore vacuum cleaner that can handle the constant onslaught of fuzz from our rugs and then I could buy a separate floor steamer. We have a mix of hardwood floors, rugs and carpeted floors. I would love to hear from anyone who has good recommendations. I'm overseas so Dyson is the only "British" brand that I can get. Is Dyson worth it, does that brand live up expectations?

BurstBees Tue 19-Apr-16 03:26:24

I have a Dyson DC37C barrel. It has the multi floor head. Sucks up loads more fluff than any of my previous vacuums, but I find the cord a bit on the short side and it is super noisy.

Out2pasture Tue 19-Apr-16 03:34:27

I've given away my first two dyson's and dread having to use one of my daughter's 3.
I much much much prefer my MIELE.

LucyMouse Tue 19-Apr-16 03:36:08

Off the top of my head I can't remember which model we currently have, but I have always found Dysons very easy to use. It is very powerful, with a good range of different brushes for the nozzle bit. Very quickly fills up with dirt but easy to empty and maintain. Go for it.

CastielsClevererBetterSister Tue 19-Apr-16 03:46:10

Agree with out2pasture . Dyson is very average compared to my Miele. The difference when I got it was very noticeable. Also found cylinder one is better than an upright. Ours is so powerful the carpet lifts!

Beedoo123 Tue 19-Apr-16 03:56:37

Never had a Dyson but I LOVE my Miele cat and dog grin

EchoOfADistantTide Tue 19-Apr-16 04:58:01

Another Miele Cat & Dog fan here smile

tinyshinyanddon Tue 19-Apr-16 05:15:55

I have a Shark. US brand from Costco. About $150. Best. Vacuum. Ever.

Gubbins Tue 19-Apr-16 05:18:13

Miele. They come out top in all the Which? rankings.

HeadDreamer Tue 19-Apr-16 05:20:21

Another Miele cat & dog fan. My dyson before cant cope with our cat fur.

scarednoob Tue 19-Apr-16 05:23:15

I love my dyson and my dad has one too, which could suck a football through a hosepipe! But prior to that my parents had a Miele and it lasted for years, so I would recommend either.

Glastokitty Tue 19-Apr-16 05:26:54

Miele cat and dog. I have two very furry cats and a very deep pile carpet, I love it. My old Dyson was good but I hear the new ones are rubbish.

Hirosleaftunnel Tue 19-Apr-16 05:28:44

Miele, my DHs first wife bought it over ten years ago and it is still going strong.

BeardMinge Tue 19-Apr-16 09:01:16

Miele cat & dog C3 powerline here. It's awesome.

thetemptationofchocolate Tue 19-Apr-16 09:03:04

Since I got my Miele I find hoovering much less bothersome. It was worth every penny smile

firesidechat Tue 19-Apr-16 09:06:36

I loved my Miele and have always recommended them, but we've just bought a Dyson V6 Total Clean and I love it. The Miele was a bit heavy and we got fed up of lugging it around the house. The Dyson is light, cordless, powerful and I love it. Whether it stands the test of time is another matter. My Miele was still as good as new after 10 years and I doubt I will say the same about the Dyson, but who knows.

MulderitsmeX Tue 19-Apr-16 09:08:00

Miele- changed my life, you can vary the suction and the model I have is supposedly low noise. Paid about £220

Theoretician Tue 19-Apr-16 09:11:46

My plumber told me Henry's are the best vacuum cleaners. They are what professional cleaners use. They are very very very ugly though.

Lifecanonlygetbetter Tue 19-Apr-16 09:12:03

I have had a number of Dysons over the years, and the build quality has gone downhill. Their prices are a joke. I now have a Sebo, German built and recommended by Which and Good housekeeping.

Stratter5 Tue 19-Apr-16 09:13:01

I love my Dyson Animal upright, it's suck is so strong it lifts carpet, great if you have allergies or lots of animals. At one stage we had 3 cats, 4 dogs, and 2 ferrets in the house, and it coped admirably.

Stratter5 Tue 19-Apr-16 09:13:44

I hated my Henry, maybe I was missing a trick, but I found it useless

Panicmode1 Tue 19-Apr-16 09:14:48

We have a Miele Cat And Dog too which is about 14 years old and still going strong....I have a very hairy retriever who sheds fur by the coatload, and it copes brilliantly. My parents have always had Dysons and I find them very heavy and hugely noisy....

Crabbitface Tue 19-Apr-16 09:16:13

Yup another Miele lover here - after decades of mediocre hoovering I splurged on one a few months ago and LOVE it. I've got dust allergies and having the self-sealing bag is fab! No emptying out dusty barrels of filth. I've got the Powerline C3.

Crabbitface Tue 19-Apr-16 09:17:20

Also the Miele has different settings for rugs, carpets, wooden flooring etc.

Notso Tue 19-Apr-16 09:44:49

I used to work in a fabric shop with loads of dust and bits created from the fabric. We had a Henry which was brilliant BUT a pain to empty and Henry is a rotund fellow so not easy to store.

I used to have a Dyson which again couldn't fault the suction but the emptying is just awful. IMO vacuum cleaners have bags for a reason.

I have a Miele which is brilliant. No more remembering to clean filters just change them whenever a new box of bags is started. My Mum was so impressed with it she bought one too.

Am now looking for a good cordless to complement it as their is only one plug socket in my 5 and 4 year olds room and we have had to move some furniture I front of it which makes it a pain for vacuuming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now