Advanced search

Regarding rejecting the allocated school

(25 Posts)
TeenAndTween Mon 18-Apr-16 16:21:36

AIBU to remind people not to reject your allocated school, even if you hate it?

You should accept & put name on wait lists for other schools.

You could try appealing especially if you think an error was made, but if it is an Infant Class Size appeal they are only accepted in very limited circumstances.

The only reasons to reject are if you will be going independent instead or home schooling for as long as necessary (e.g. the whole of infants at least).

Once you have rejected the LA are under no obligation to find you another place.

anniroc Mon 18-Apr-16 17:40:59

Here here.

BG2015 Mon 18-Apr-16 18:01:32

Good advice

AvonleaAnne Mon 18-Apr-16 18:21:29


slicedfinger Mon 18-Apr-16 18:23:47

I clicked on this to say NNOOOOOO you MUST ACCEPT THE PLACE!!!

Well done OP. They were even saying it on R4 today. ACCEPT ACCEPT ACCEPT.


TeenAndTween Mon 18-Apr-16 18:42:58

sliced smile That's why I gave it the title I did ...

ThreeLeggedCat Mon 18-Apr-16 18:58:12

My friend didn't accept the allocated place. They then didn't get any other school place and her DS had to remain in nursery that September. He finally got a place, in a school miles and miles away and started in the January.

cece Mon 18-Apr-16 19:00:47

Top advice.

DesertOrDessert Mon 18-Apr-16 19:14:20

Bump bump bump. Accept, however dire. The alternative might be worse.

cece Mon 18-Apr-16 22:58:55


ArabellaRockerfella Mon 18-Apr-16 23:15:39

Yes! The voice of reason, but they still won't listen!!

Arkwright Mon 18-Apr-16 23:28:23

Great advice.

My facebook has been full of: "Don't send them there hun tell them you want that school and don't take no for an answer" type comments since Saturday.

DesertOrDessert Tue 19-Apr-16 06:27:15

Gentle Bump for Tuesday morning

curren Tue 19-Apr-16 07:00:06

It's funny because I didn't follow this advice. But completely agree you should not reject the school offer.

Dds allocated secondary school meant we couldn't get Dd to her school and ds to his school. It was impossible.

Dd suffers from some problems which meant she couldn't get the bus the 10 miles.

But we have home schooled her before and was quite willing to do it again. The only reason she was entering school was because she wanted to.

Too many people think rejecting the place will strengthen their appeal and it doesn't. Nor does threatening to home school.

We won the appeal because of her additional needs. Not because we rejected the place.

HerdOfRhino Tue 19-Apr-16 07:59:56


TeenAndTween Tue 19-Apr-16 11:08:46

curren you were brave home schooling in secondary!

(Shameless replying to bump)

getyourfingeroutyournose Tue 19-Apr-16 11:25:36

On the website, it says we are automatically put on a waiting list If we didn't get our first choices. Should I ring them to find out that is the case? I'm thoroughly confused right now and wondering if I should just accept that we got our 4th choice.

BarbarianMum Tue 19-Apr-16 11:27:11

Might be worth ringing up and seeing where on each waiting list you are getyour but accept what you've been offered in the meantime.

curren Tue 19-Apr-16 11:29:42

teen it wasn't brave. It was the only option. She could not get to the allocated school. Which is why we won the appeal.

Had we have not won, it was the only option. It wasn't bravery, it was the only thing we could do. I certainly was terrified of doing it.

curren Tue 19-Apr-16 11:30:38

get accept the place, you have been offered and double check you are on the waiting list.

Appeal if you think you have grounds for it as well.

DesertOrDessert Tue 19-Apr-16 13:05:17


MaryWortleyMontagu Tue 19-Apr-16 13:21:47

YANBU unless you are seriously prepared to home educate or go private.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 19-Apr-16 13:24:21

Excellent advice OP.

SavoyCabbage Tue 19-Apr-16 13:30:20

My dd had no school place for over three months when we moved as there was no year four place in the whole county. I got her in our catchment school on appeal in the end but it was a long road.

Dixiechickonhols Tue 19-Apr-16 13:47:52

Good advice. Although in my experience it took several calls and writing to LA and school itself before they accepted we didn't want the place.

For anyone in this situation it is an awful feeling. I can remember going to a birthday party day after and all the other parents had got what they wanted. What are you going to can't send her there.

DD is now 10 and it did all work out for the best. In our case we went private. If you are outside London don't just assume fees are stupidly high, check. I was pleasantly surprised. I pay less than I was paying in nursery fees (Under £6000 a year, paid monthly but I'm up north) Plus longer school day so no wrap around care needed. Private wasn't even on the radar until we got the allocation email.

We have moved to be in catchment for 2 outstanding secondaries to avoid a repeat next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now