To spend all our savings on a holiday we desperately need?

(61 Posts)
Treetopchallenger Sun 17-Apr-16 18:41:09

We have some savings, was going to be spent on doing garden up and reserve for emergencies. My oh and I have never had a break from the children (except when he works, or oh takes them to the park alone for a couple of hours). We have never been out together since having children and feel we never get any couple time. We want to book a holiday that has kids clubs so we can spent time together. Small chalet so can out kids to bed and then have dinner in peace!

It would mean saving hard all year and using up all savings. Would we be mad to do this? It won't be every year and things can wait until next year, or silly incase we need money in an emergency?

Yeahsure Sun 17-Apr-16 18:43:34

If this means you literally couldn't for e.g. afford a new cooker, washing machine, car - anything that's vital to your life should they break, then no don't do it. Lots of people unfortunately have to go without holidays for years, I do sympathise though.

I'm sure you will get loads of 'go for it's and smiley faces however....

Looly71 Sun 17-Apr-16 18:44:49

I would do it. Life is too short and ta important to have some time to yourselves. We're in similar predicament. I'm usually the cautious one with money so my husband understands that we really do need this holiday. wine

Treetopchallenger Sun 17-Apr-16 18:47:18

Yeah sure- it would mean no money for those kind of things! But I suppose if we desperately needed a cooker we could get a dreaded credit card (we don't do credit cards it overdrafts normally).

Alasalas2 Sun 17-Apr-16 18:47:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

witsender Sun 17-Apr-16 18:49:32

Is it all or nothing? Could you book something last minute? I would spend the money from the garden, but wouldn't get rid of emergency reserve.

Treetopchallenger Sun 17-Apr-16 18:50:00

I would love to leave kids at home but can't as family won't even babysit for a night, let alone a week! Our close friends are full time workers so no luck there either. We've chosen expensive holiday due to us both loving skiing and the ones with childcare are expensive!

Treetopchallenger Sun 17-Apr-16 18:51:18

We normally go on cheap and cheerful holidays but feels like we need a holiday to get over the holiday sometimes lol! With this one we can ski together all day to have time together, whilst 2 are in ski school and the other with the chalet nanny.

Costacoffeeplease Sun 17-Apr-16 18:51:57

I wouldn't want to feel that vulnerable for a holiday

Whathaveilost Sun 17-Apr-16 18:53:29

Holidays needn't be expensive. Look on skyscanner for cheap flights. Get a hotel/ hostel on booking.com. puck a relate heap country. Eg an Eastern European one.
Doesn't have to be all or nothing..

specialsubject Sun 17-Apr-16 18:54:22

no savings leaves you stuffed if a job is lost, a boiler breaks down, a roof leaks etc etc etc.

book the kids into daycare next school holidays (if they are school age) and have a holiday at home until you are in a better position. That should cost a lot less and give you the break you need.

and you can put the kids to bed and have dinner in peace at home.

Whathaveilost Sun 17-Apr-16 18:54:47

X post. Ok you want skiing. Book each bit separate and you can save a fortune.

Yeahsure Sun 17-Apr-16 18:55:23

Please don't go on holiday if it means you'd have to get credit for anything that goes wrong in the house. It's not worth it. Have a dirt cheap night away somewhere and look forward to a time when you can afford a holiday.

Therealyellowwiggle Sun 17-Apr-16 18:55:31

Check the kids club is one where they can be left, I noticed our last caravan holiday had kids' events but an adult had to remain with them.
Am in the same position regarding childcare and it is blissful to have even one afternoon together alone.

OliviaBenson Sun 17-Apr-16 18:55:57

YABU. You don't need an expensive ski holiday. What if your boiler broke?

I'm sure you could compromise with somewhere cheaper. From what you say, you do still get holidays anyway?

Get a babysitter and go out for a meal together. This is family life to be honest.

Owllady Sun 17-Apr-16 18:57:11

Do it
Life is too short not to smile

Dellarobia Sun 17-Apr-16 18:57:35

The thing is, for the cost of a ski holiday with full childcare you could afford to pay for a babysitter for a LOT of nice evenings out at home. Is it really worth it for just one week?

BennyTheBall Sun 17-Apr-16 18:58:07

We squander vast amounts on our holidays, but if doing so would leave us really short, I think we would scale it down.

Finallyonboard Sun 17-Apr-16 18:58:46

I wouldn't want to leave my DC in a kids club personally but if you feel that this is essential, go for it smile

Lweji Sun 17-Apr-16 18:59:55

I'd never spend my emergency fund on an expensive holiday. But people do have different priorities.
Perhaps do your best to save elsewhere? Or find a cheaper holiday where kids can have their own activities?

yadrosh Sun 17-Apr-16 19:00:08

No, I would not blow any savings I had on a holiday desperately needed. What if the weather was crap or the holiday was a disaster?

Truth be told, I have not had a holiday since 2011. We just go on day trips and that is enough. I do not miss going on holiday - but if we were ever in a position to save and put some back for a holiday on top of that, I would go.

Nah, much rather save the money on rainy day stuff. Debt is so overrated.

srslylikeomg Sun 17-Apr-16 19:01:19

Do it! Yolo as the kids say.

SoThatHappened Sun 17-Apr-16 19:01:40

We have never been out together since having children and feel we never get any couple time.

Well a baby sitter and a meal out alone several times is far far cheaper than a bloody skiing holiday with ski lessons and a chalet nanny.

Why dont you just go out?

Therealyellowwiggle Sun 17-Apr-16 19:03:46

"We have never been out together since having children".
This is not normal family life as a pp put it, most people have babysitters or family members or friends who will do a wee bit of childcare for you. Some have a hell of a lot of "couple time" and I think if anyone wants to be judgy about using a kids' club once I hope they are doing this from a situation the same as the OP.

StepintotheLightleave Sun 17-Apr-16 19:05:01

I think holidays are important and I would say without a doubt go.

But I do not think you need to use up all your savings for it.

There are so many holidays out there with kids clubs that you could go on, and have a relaxing time.

To sacrifice your security in this way I would say is very risky.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now