Aibu to not be ready to talk to gp about self harm so reschedule appointment

(20 Posts)
newnameoldstart Sun 17-Apr-16 16:41:23

I am due an appointment for a check up on Wednesday . I have been going every two weeks, I am taking antidepressants for PND and also I have been having my heart rate checked as its been fast so I have started some tablets to slow it.

I have for a long time now scratched at my arms when I'm upset or stressed . It's NOT serious injuries no actual cuts etc (not sure how much I'm allowed to post about this but it's basically things like grazes from scratching pen kids over my arm not anything even close to needing medical attention!).

At the moment I have two patches of scratches and redness and scabs from slight bleeding that look pretty obvious on my arm but I am in no way ready to speak to the doctor about it like this . As soon as she goes to do my blood pressure or whatever it's going to be right there and it's embarrassing.

I am not talking about cancelling altogether o know I need an appointment just delaying a week until I can go and not have to talk about this.

One day I WILL mention it but when I am ready.

I can't decide if it is reasonable to wait until I am ready and rearrange.

DrivingMissLazy1 Sun 17-Apr-16 16:47:41

Is there someone that you can talk to about the self harming? Will you find another reason not to talk about it next week ?
I suppose you do have to be ready to talk about it but I'm not the best person to replybut didn't want this to be unanswered.

newnameoldstart Sun 17-Apr-16 17:48:55

I don't really want to talk about it at all! I want to get the blood pressure check I will just be totally unable to discuss this and probably cry and runaway!

StuRedman Sun 17-Apr-16 17:50:56

In my experience (and I have much worse deep scars) the gp won't even comment on it unless you bring it up.

newnameoldstart Sun 17-Apr-16 17:53:02

Thanks stu! I hope not its just not relevant to anything and it's embarrassing!

StuRedman Sun 17-Apr-16 17:54:20

It's also much more common than you probably think and unless you're there to discuss your mental health it shouldn't even be commented upon. Keep your appointment. smile

newnameoldstart Sun 17-Apr-16 17:57:25

I am there because of the PND? But hopefully I can just ignore it then?

Itinerary Sun 17-Apr-16 18:10:35

I think if you put it off, it will make it even harder and you may end up putting it off repeatedly. The GP will be able to help, but only if you tell him/her.

If you feel you will be stuck for words, why not write down a sentence or two and hand them to the GP?

QuiteLikely5 Sun 17-Apr-16 18:13:06

You could put a bandage over the marks?

newnameoldstart Sun 17-Apr-16 18:15:32

I would have to bandage half my arm - I think that would look even worse!

newnameoldstart Sun 17-Apr-16 18:17:40

Itinerary - I am just embarrassed by it . In a way because it's minor and I feel like it's an annoying habit which is just really visible.

Itinerary Sun 17-Apr-16 19:03:47

You don't need to be embarrassed newname, any more than any other symptom of an illness.

As for it being "minor", self-harming at all is cause for concern. People see GPs for truly minor things all the time, and I don't think this is one of them.

It may be that your medication needs adjusting or therapy may be suggested. I'd say don't wait until things get worse.

flowers

specialsubject Sun 17-Apr-16 19:05:39

you need to go for your physical health. The mental health issue will not be raised unless you are ready or the GP thinks it urgent.

newnameoldstart Sun 17-Apr-16 19:41:42

Thanks itinerary - I suppose it's just not somethings I am used to talking about .

Special - she raises mental health virtually every time I there to the point of having the nurse call up and check on me. I am not sure but I think there must be something in my notes I am not aware of. Although I can't think what I am not suicidal and have never claimed to be confused

Rinoachicken Sun 17-Apr-16 20:36:08

If it is mentioned just say you're not ready my to talk about it yet. She might make a note of it on the system whether or not she actually asks though, especially since your there re PND.

newnameoldstart Sun 17-Apr-16 21:33:06

Thanks rino- I wouldn't mind her making a note and tbh I'm not sure how I would react if she did ask. I might be ok explaining I might not!

Rinoachicken Sun 17-Apr-16 21:51:31

I have a lot of scars on my arms from self harm. I think they are always noted. And I've never been pressed to talk when is rather not x

newnameoldstart Sun 17-Apr-16 22:30:46

Rino - can I ask are they old or recent. It is fairly obvious that this is recent will that affect this. Sorry for being odd I am paranoid of people thinking I am not coping with my children blush

Rinoachicken Tue 19-Apr-16 18:57:34

They are now old but even when they day-old recent I would just say I didn't want to discuss it if I didn't and the GP would respect that (but note it).

I would encourage you to discuss it though so you can get the help you need sooner rather than later. Self-harm has a way of escalating out of control very quickly

Mitfordhons Tue 19-Apr-16 19:02:08

My dd self harms, she recently had a blood test I was with her and the nurse didn't say anything and her scars are obvious/recent and she's only 14. I suspect they won't mention it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now