Talk

Advanced search

School Trip to London EYE

(131 Posts)
WhatwouldYOUdotoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:21:16

We live near London, and we visit London on a frequent basis.

We usually go at the weekend, and go on short tube journeys, use the bus to get round etc etc etc.

So I am not afraid of going to London.

But DD school trip is making me feel VERY ANXIOUS.

Its on a week day, and on a Friday, by train and tube into London then a trip to the London Eye.

I would prefer it if they went by coach. I would prefer it if they didnt go on a Friday, I would prefer it - if they were not visiting the Eye.

I know life goes on, I know we shouldnt change our habits due to terrorists, I know all that, I have said I am happy for her to go, but at the same time,

We are at heightened risk,

The people in the KNOW say we WILL BE ATTACKED not IF.

The London EYE has been mentioned several times as KEY target.....

I am worried about them being on the tube and train.

I feel very anxious and worried about this.

I know the chances of her being killed in a coach crash are higher but I am nervous....why court danger?
I have lost people close to me very suddenly with no warning...I know life hangs by a thread.

Becles Sun 17-Apr-16 11:26:24

Struggling not to respond in a way that belittles your anxiety but best I can do is to remind you that it's not healthy to have this degree of anxiety and stress you should be careful about passing these on to your child.

WhatwouldYOUdotoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:28:17

I just want to make it CLEAR here -

I have happily ( in front of my child) signed the slip for her to go.

I AM NOT AND HAVE NOT IN ANY WAY SHOWN HER MY WORRIES.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 17-Apr-16 11:29:04

Most will say your anxiety is at abnormal levels.

If yours is, so is mine. I carry on as normal so it doesn't stop me going about my business, but I am anxious about terrorism attacks.

I'd let her go, and be quietly anxious to myself.

WhatwouldYOUdotoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:30:13

I am letting her go, but I am not happy about it, and I am not happy about the choice of destination either.

FoxesSitOnBoxes Sun 17-Apr-16 11:30:47

I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks and against all rational judgement I can't help feel uneasy about taking our children on the tube through central London so I completely understand where you are coming from. Possibly rediculous but I think I'd be the same as you in that situation and people pointing out how rediculous it is doesn't really make me feel any more comfortable with the idea!

LunaLoveg00d Sun 17-Apr-16 11:30:51

We are just back from a week in London and were not worried in the slightest. We had lunch at a restaurant just by the Eye last Friday and there were loads of people around enjoying themselves.

You cannot stop living your life because something might happen. You are not "courting danger".

foragogo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:31:39

it would cross my mind too tbh, as it does every morning when I pull into London Bridge for work. I think I'd console myself that they won't be travelling at rush hour? which is presumably when an incident would be attempted. Do they have to get the tube, can't they just go to Waterloo on the train?

Ifailed Sun 17-Apr-16 11:32:13

According to the nasty people who are behind terrorist attacks, we are all targets, regardless where we are. Hence a trip to London, and the Eye is no more dangerous than being anywhere else.
As Becles says, no one wants to belittle your concerns, but I think you have to take a wider look. No one wants to put their children (or anyone else) in danger, but we do all manage risk on a daily basis. A School trip has probably had more risk assessments and reviews than your weekly trip to the shops. Let her go, she'll enjoy it and you can look forward to her telling you all about it when she comes home.

WhatwouldYOUdotoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:32:49

Thank you Luna! Its good to hear.

We do live our lives, we do go into London but with children I personally feel if they can tweak the trip - they should.

PotteringAlong Sun 17-Apr-16 11:32:56

You live near London. You're right; why court danger? I assume your house is on the market and you're actively looking for your house in the lakes?

WhatwouldYOUdotoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:34:56

Thank you For and Ifailed.

I AM LETTING HER GO, please read I AM LETTING HER GO grin

Yes small consolation it wont be rush hour on the tube, or train.

Ifailed, the London Eye was named this weekend as THE target of the terror cell arrested in Birmingham.

WhatwouldYOUdotoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:36:09

Pottering we dont use - need to use public transport going into London, or on week days, or at rush hour.

Mslg Sun 17-Apr-16 11:37:25

Why are you capitalising random words? You need to seek some help for your anxiety, it's not healthy to be as anxious about a trip to London as you are and its bound to be affecting your DC.

WhatwouldYOUdotoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:38:01

Thank you Foxes, its not easy is it!

There didnt used to be in my life time, any terrorist risk, but now there is a real high threat.

WhatwouldYOUdotoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:39:45

Thank you for your post MsLG I am not capitalising RANDOM word,

It seems from reading my post, people have missed as indeed YOU grin have that I have HAPPILY signed the form, in front of DD for her to go. I have not mentioned a whisper of my worries to her at all and nor will I.

So your post is kinda random in that its based on something you have not picked up on, in my post. smile

WorraLiberty Sun 17-Apr-16 11:40:16

In your OP you say, "So I am not afraid of going to London.".

But then everything you posted after that, appears to point to the opposite.

I know school trips can cause anxiety, but stressing won't change anything. It's easier said than done I know, but you have to find a coping strategy.

Griphook Sun 17-Apr-16 11:40:25

Yanbu, I live near London, I took my children on the London eye recently. They have increased security. But I would not want my child to go on a school trip to the London eye. There are so many better places to go. The London eye is an iconic landmark it's more or a risk than other places. I would be very concerned. But that's not to say I wouldn't sign the form.

Sallyingforth Sun 17-Apr-16 11:40:27

You've done the right thing, OP. And now that you have signed it there is no way you can change the route or destination.
Leaving London on a Friday afternoon is always a rotten journey on the roads as many people leave for the weekend. They will be home quicker and safer on the train.
Your DD will have a wonderful time in London, but will be tired and very glad to get home in relative comfort on the train.

WhatwouldYOUdotoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:41:24

Sorry - "not afraid on the weekend"

In the day.

Its not any school trip, its a school trip on public transport on a weekday, to a terrorist target.

foragogo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:41:35

I would and have let my DC go on these types of trips. but I'm kind of with you. we have to go into London on public transport for work but a group of schoolchildren from a school.outside London don't. But then you're staying into meeting the terrorists objectives by having people curtail their lives in fear. For me, minimising time on the tube and not going at rush hour is a good compromise (and what teacher would want to take a group of children on the tube at rush hour anyway!?)

and of course statistically the chance of your child.being caught up in an Incident even if/when it happens is very, very low in a city of however many million. doesnt stop you worrying though, I know.

Griphook Sun 17-Apr-16 11:42:18

Oh and I think a coach would be so much better.

WhatwouldYOUdotoo Sun 17-Apr-16 11:43:23

Thanks Grip, I have been on the London eye years ago as has DD in fact when much younger and although its Good, we did enjoy it, Its not to me a brilliant destination to aim for anyway....

I can think of so many other places for them to go too, rather than the eye.

So we have this risk for somewhere I don't feel is that great.

whois Sun 17-Apr-16 11:44:00

The chance of your child being killed or maimed in a terrorist attack is so fucking minuscule I can't believe you're worrying about it.

Check the stats for child deaths in coach crashes whilst on a school trip of you really want something to worry about.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 17-Apr-16 11:44:48

No she doesn't need to seek help for her anxiety Msig, a lot of people I talk to feel the same way, the gps surgeries would be full of everyone acted on their fear of terrorists. You just have to accept that when it happens, the likelihood of it affecting you or your is minute.

The fact that the eye was named OP, makes it less of a target now.

<moral of the story - never post an anxious about terrorists thread on MN, you never ever get any sympathy>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now