Flea bay , no contact from buyer..

(29 Posts)
ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 17-Apr-16 07:28:38

Sold something on Flea bay yesterday morning. Collect in person. According to the info given the buyer lives 150 miles away. The fuel will cost about a third of the price of the item, My postcode was on the listing.

Sent a message via ebay yesterday lunchtime, when do you want to collect? Nada zilch nothing by way of a reply... I know flea bay have T&C's for this sort of thing, but I am just a little peaved as I wanted rid of the thing.... I have received payment from PayPal but I have to wait two weeks before they can't ask for the money back...

Rant over...(nearly)

newmumwithquestions Sun 17-Apr-16 07:36:37

So you sold it yesterday morning so less than 24 hours ago? Sorry but YABU. If you wanted it gone immediately then you should have specified that in the description.

RaeSkywalker Sun 17-Apr-16 07:40:09

If they've paid it's a good sign, I think it'll be fine.

WonkoTheSane42 Sun 17-Apr-16 07:40:34

You shouldn't accept Paypal for collection in person - they can make a claim much later than two weeks, and if you don't have a tracking number you'll lose the money.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Sun 17-Apr-16 07:41:01

Blimey, it was sold yesterday. Give them a chance!

pasturesgreen Sun 17-Apr-16 07:41:59

YABVU.
Jesus, try to calm down a bit...that was less than 24 hours ago. Not everyone is able to reply to ebay messages in real time, it'll be fine.

And if it won't, nothing to prevent you opening a dispute. Seriously, you're seeing problems where there aren't any!

tibbawyrots Sun 17-Apr-16 07:41:59

Never accept PayPal for a collection only item.

I would refund and message that as its collection only (as stated in the listing) that you will only accept cash when they collect.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 17-Apr-16 08:10:10

I was not awaare of that.. I would prefer cash..

When I listed the item I couldn't see an option for cash.
Have they cha ged the system, if so.. Don't know what is going on there.

Skittlesss Sun 17-Apr-16 08:23:51

You sure they realise it's collection only? as I've never had someone even offer paypal when collecting!

Mousefinkle Sun 17-Apr-16 08:32:22

I used to insist on PayPal for everything including collection because I once sold a beautiful vintage wardrobe, waited in for the buyers to turn up and when they did they pulled their noses up at it and decided they didn't want it anymore! I was pissed off to say the least, had to relist it AT MY COST and go through the rigmarole again. More annoyed because I needed shut of it ASAP as it was in my living room and took up half the bloody room! But then I read that some con artists pay by PayPal, collect the item then claim to PayPal that they never collected it so get a refund. Believe me when I say, PayPal almost always go in the favour of the buyer as well.

So be careful with that. Wait until Monday, if there's still no contact message to say you'll refund and relist if you haven't heard back because you really need it gone.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Mon 18-Apr-16 07:45:25

Just had a message... guess what...

The buyers lovely child "bought" is whilst playing on the puter. Aparently they also "bought" another at the same time. The child also seems to know the PayPal password to make payment. ... They want a refund...

I do wonder if the buyer looked at the postcode and worked out that a 300 mile trip to collect will cost almost as as the bid.. On to Ebay in a couple of minutes to know where I stand...

PerryHatter Mon 18-Apr-16 07:58:20

You should only ever accept cash for collection. It's a well known scam. They'll pick up the item then claim the money back via PayPal as unauthorised and since you won't have proof of postage, you'll be out of pocket without the item.

They probably didn't actually look where the item was until they paid.

purplebaglady Mon 18-Apr-16 08:18:57

I had a similar experience with a buyer paying for a collection only item. It was 1 in the morning and I don't think he read the description in bold, huge font....
We lived 350 miles away and it item was only £60.
If both you and your buyer agree to cancel a transaction by raising a dispute, then eBay refund you all the charges and you are not out of pocket. PayPal also automatically refund when you send his money back. You won't be out of pocket but it is infuriating. Best wishes.

BlueJug Mon 18-Apr-16 08:24:25

Hate selling on ebay now. Have had people pay by PayPal simply to avoid a case being opened for non-performing buyer.

Have had loads of people not collect - or, the last one, they collected, paid cash and then returned it a week later. As they knew where I lived I gave in Waste of time.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Wed 27-Apr-16 07:40:41

Result...,
Seems the buyer tried to get their money back.
PayPal have investigated the transaction and decided the purchase was properly authorised. ..

Well done PayPal.

Watchingnetflix Wed 27-Apr-16 08:21:37

It's not really a result though if they don't want the pushchair, if you force them to come pick it up they can attempt a return saying item not as described, they can leave negatives feedback and poor star ratings. They can open an item not received case if they don't pick it up and basically be a right pain. EBay pretty much always side with the buyer so you're almost certainly on a hiding to nothing. Just refund them - send the buyer a cancellation request and you'll get your fees back.

Ahappynewmummy Wed 27-Apr-16 08:34:49

I sold something myself and the buyer didn't pay for it for 2 days. they're probably busy and planning when to collect it there end before telling you. so sorry yabu

Ahappynewmummy Wed 27-Apr-16 08:38:25

sorry only just realised your other posts.

that is why I like paypal.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 27-Apr-16 10:34:37

Would they not be able to arrange a courier, and would you be able to package up the item? They can arrange and pay at their end if you tell them the dimensions of the package and the weight, then a courier can collect from your door? Might be a compromise if they genuinely want it?

SistersOfPercy Wed 27-Apr-16 10:53:57

Just refund, seriously. This will play out two ways.

1. They collect, get home and file item not received. They will get their money back. They will have your goods and your money.

2. They ask you to arrange a courier. You need to securely wrap the goods, wait around all day for the courier to show. Buyer will receive item and file not as described case. You will then have to pay for the return postage.

You can't force someone to complete a transaction, and trying to will, I suspect, make them dig in their heels and make life bloody difficult for you.

Refund, relist and put "cash on collection only" in bold in your listing.

AppleSetsSail Wed 27-Apr-16 10:57:38

I can assure you that you won't win this battle. Your only choice is to refund the money.

Noodledoodledoo Wed 27-Apr-16 12:06:37

I am in the middle of trying to collect an item and the seller is being a real pain.

I won it last Friday - contacted them within two hours of auction finishing asking how they wanted to deal with collection and payment.

Didn't get a response till Sunday - then they puts in lots of conditions for payment (none of which are on the original listing) - will only accept cash if I can take it to the bank with her and they will accept it. Or Paypal which I am aware puts her in a very volatile situation. I would have preferred cash but can't collect it at any times when the bank is open!

AppleSetsSail Wed 27-Apr-16 12:15:12

will only accept cash if I can take it to the bank with her and they will accept it.

Are you paying in foreign currency? confused

WTF?

witsender Wed 27-Apr-16 12:56:45

Just refund, there are no circumstances under which you get to keep the money tbh. Cancel transaction at buyer's request and get fees reimbursed then sell again

Homemadearmy Wed 27-Apr-16 12:58:16

Noodle I would imagine it's because they are worried about forged notes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now