Talk

Advanced search

I just want a bra that fits!

(39 Posts)
stonechallenge Sat 16-Apr-16 06:50:44

Help .....

Where do I go? Hate M&S, they just wash terrible.

I am around a 34E maybe F

But I've got that vile 4 boob bulge going on at the moment & it's time to throw them all out & start again.

The straps always fall off my shoulders too!!

MsVestibule Sat 16-Apr-16 06:53:54

I strongly recommend bravissimo, or even small, independent bra shops.

How much are you prepared to pay for a bra? I'm a similar size to you and normally spend £35-£40 on a decent one.

CountryBumpkin200 Sat 16-Apr-16 06:56:07

I've just gone from a 34E to a 34F. Not being flush with cash I've had to look for a cheap way of replacing all my bras and I have found Ann Summers to be very reasonable. They measured me to check I was using the right size and went from there. They often have deals on such as '2 for £30'. Plus their choice for the bigger bust, I've found, is more than most places.

curren Sat 16-Apr-16 06:56:54

I really like Victoria secret.

Only bras that ever fit and last for me. I have had them from all over. Bravissimo, M&S, bhs etc.

They are pricey though. I bought two then went back and bought a couple more over a year. Now I just replace the ones that are getting tatty. Rather than buy a load at once.

I have heard some people saying when they were fitted, they were fitted wrong. I have never had that issue. And I think that goes for most stores. Some people a don't do their job properly.

VS sports bras are the best I have ever had and keep my Dd boobs in place. Except the ones that zip up the front. The Zips don't last on those.

Sadmother Sat 16-Apr-16 07:01:44

Sorry, I can't help, but I can sympathise. I live in the US where they still do the add 4 inches bollocks [Hmm]

Sadmother Sat 16-Apr-16 07:03:26

VS are shite. They start at 32 inches, this makes no sense.

newmumwithquestions Sat 16-Apr-16 07:12:55

Bravissimo or figleaves. If you can afford the cash up front, order loads of varying sizes around what you think you are as different makes come up differently, then send back all the ones that don't fit well. If you've got the quad boob thing going on you need a bigger cup size, maybe even a couple of bigger cup sizes and drop a back size. Personally I like fauve styles or used to before having to live in really awful nursing bra's and find them really supportive.
But it's about finding a make that works for you.
I also struggle with the shoulder strap thing - some styles just don't ever do up tight enough on the shoulder!
Bravissimo sales are quite good, as are figleaves, and figleaves have really regular 20% off offers (I never buy full price) if you give them your email address.

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Sat 16-Apr-16 07:17:18

Can you go to John Lewis or another department store that has a range? JL have a measuring service
When I was bigger boobed (thanks DS), I loved Freya bras.

Branleuse Sat 16-Apr-16 07:17:52

are you sure that youre in the right size x

stonechallenge Sat 16-Apr-16 07:34:58

Thank you all!

Going to get measured in JL & then order a shed load from Bravissimo/Figleaves

Great advice smile

curren Sat 16-Apr-16 07:35:21

They start at 32 inches, this makes no sense.

I'm used to be a 36 and now a 34 so never even looked at the smaller sizes.

It does sound like you are wearing the wrong size. Do you get measured regularly?

Branleuse Sat 16-Apr-16 07:37:39

If I were you, I wouldnt order them online. Theres such a variation in fits, and your actual measurement is only a guide. I have bras in sizes around my actual official size.
Do you have a tape measure? What is your under-bust, rib-gage measurement>?

cherrytree63 Sat 16-Apr-16 07:38:40

When you find the style and size you like it may be worth looking on eBay. I've been looking for shock absorbers (recent double mastectomy and reconstruction means I'm a bit paranoid about "bounce").
I've just got a brand new level 4 for £4.00, ex display and slightly discoloured.
There's lots of sellers offering end of line "famous chain store" stuff, with the labels removed to avoid returns to store.
As for sizing, for years I wore a 36 c, used the bra intervention method that I read on MN, now I'm a 28E or 40DD.

Smileandwaveboys Sat 16-Apr-16 08:08:40

I'm a 34G so find bras can be £££. Brastop is brilliant, has all the usual brands like Freya and Curvy Kate for much less than bravissimo. I've just bought two for £15 each.

Obvs different brands can fit differently so trial and error.

flanjabelle Sat 16-Apr-16 08:10:51

I'm a 30E and can't find a bra for love nor money at the minute. Everywhere only seems to stock 32 and up and if I find somewhere that has a 30 back, they never have an E cup. I'm beyond frustrated.

flanjabelle Sat 16-Apr-16 08:11:47

Oh and the advice I have had in the shops is just to keep going up a back size and down a cup size until I find something they have in stock. Yea. angry

FlyingElbows Sat 16-Apr-16 08:15:52

I'm desperate to find a bra that doesn't have the straps set so wide apart. I'm a chunky lass but I don't have eight foot wide shoulders!

Squiff85 Sat 16-Apr-16 08:20:05

Bravissimo - they're friendly and helpful, and lovely fitting bras

TheCrumpettyTree Sat 16-Apr-16 08:20:15

Go to bravissimo, they're fitting service is brilliant.

TheCrumpettyTree Sat 16-Apr-16 08:20:28

*their

MoonriseKingdom Sat 16-Apr-16 08:22:27

Have you seen any of the bra intervention threads that pop up on mumsnet from time to time - sorry no link. The way places like M+S measure (adding on 4-5 inches) gives badly fitting bras. Many women need a smaller back size, bigger cup size than they think. I'm no expert but if you search for the old threads you would hopefully find an answer. I wore a 34D for a long time but now wear a 30F and have never had better fitting bras (fitted at Bravissimo). I would recommend Bravissimo if you have one near you - although their bras aren't cheap but could give you an idea of right size.

PippaPug Sat 16-Apr-16 08:30:57

Go to the Bravissimo website and find your nearest one and make a appointment to try different styles, shapes and sizes.

Staff are really helpful and will try and get you the perfect bra size

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sat 16-Apr-16 08:39:02

It's expensive, but if you can get measured in Rigby and Peller, they're the ones that everyone else regards as the standard. In Bravissimo, they didn't measure me because I'd been measured in R&P.

I bet you'll be a smaller back size and bigger cup size. I was wearing a 36C and was measured a 32E. That's what I go for now, but may adjust the back size up one and cup size down one. Never, ever M&S though.

Branleuse Sat 16-Apr-16 08:43:22

flangeablle. Debenhams definitely do 30E, and all the brands like freya, panache etc, do that size in very nice bras.

You wont get that size in a supermarket, but its not that unusual for department stores or lingerie shops

treaclesoda Sat 16-Apr-16 08:44:04

If the straps fall off your shoulders it is almost certainly because the band is too wide. The wider the band, the further apart the straps are, so if it's too big it sits at the edge of your shoulders and falls off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now