Talk

Advanced search

To wonder about lump on head?

(13 Posts)
FelicityR313 Sat 16-Apr-16 01:04:15

My head, to be specific.

3 weeks ago I was involved in an accident and hospitalised. While in hospital I was examined. I complained about a bruise on the side/back of my head which at the time was about I suppose the size of a £2 coin. On examination, nothing, all good.

Now I still have a pea-sized lump on my skull which is sore to touch and has been all along. I initially thought it was just the 'greater' bruise, but this is now localised to the little lump and very sore ( well not VERY sore), but sore to press against.

Is it something that will just go away?

GeezAJammyPeece Sat 16-Apr-16 01:30:59

What you are describing sounds like a sebaceous cyst (I've had them off & on for about 20 years.) About 15 years ago, I had a couple removed from the top of my scalp as they were catching when I was brushing my hair and would bleed. They gave me a local anaesthetic, cut them out & popped a couple of stitches in.

You don't have to get them removed though, only if they are are getting irritated being irritating! , and they can grow back.

It could very well be that the bash to the head during the accident has caused some follicle or sebaceous gland damage leading to this and it is nothing to worry about.
HOWEVER , given that it has only been 3 weeks since the incident and you did have quite a bruise, it would probably be prudent to have it checked out.

FelicityR313 Sat 16-Apr-16 01:57:55

This doesn't remotely feel like it's on the skin. It's under the skin and feels like a tiny lump on my skull (small little inflamed line leading up to it)

FelicityR313 Sat 16-Apr-16 01:59:45

No way os seeing it either as it's under my hair at the back of my head. I'm sure it's nothing and it's not really causing me bother unless I lie on it or something, but it's just annoying me being there!

FelicityR313 Sat 16-Apr-16 02:00:36

I'm sure it will go away with a few weeks.

GeezAJammyPeece Sat 16-Apr-16 20:48:29

I am now sitting prodding, squeezing & pressing one I have just now....

Right; it is under the skin, is relatively solid but with a little 'give' and is about pea-sized. Does that sound like yours?

Mine tend to be on the top of my scalp probably my horns growing so I can investigate using an assortment of angled mirrors.... But yeah, unless your hair growth on the area becomes patchy, its hard to see what's going on!! Obviously, that would be even more difficult as its on the back of your head! Do you have someone who could take a look for you?

I take it your real concern is a bone shard or something? It must be kinda worrying!

MistressMerryWeather Sat 16-Apr-16 20:53:20

It does sound very much like a sebaceous cyst as Geez said. I had one removed from my head last year.

I would still get it checked out though, because you had an accident.

Pixienott0005 Tue 19-Apr-16 14:50:23

It's possibly a bone injury if it's hard. I crashed my bike years ago and fell face first into a little wall, my eye bone has what you describe, a hard lump on it. It's never ever find away. I didn't break my eye socket but that small lump appeared and stayed!

thecitydoc Tue 19-Apr-16 15:09:06

go see your GP

flanjabelle Tue 19-Apr-16 15:11:37

It sounds to me like the lump has calcified. Dd has one on her head from damage caused with forceps during her birth. She also has a slight calcification on her for head from a very nasty head bump.

If the swelling doesn't go down, it calcifies into a hard lump. They are permanent as far as I'm aware.

FelicityR313 Tue 19-Apr-16 15:35:27

Will mention it next time I'm at GP. I'm sure it's nothing of consequence. Just irritating combing hair and stuff.

Ninefreerangeeggs Tue 19-Apr-16 15:41:01

Sounds like it could be scar tissue from the bruise.

GraysAnalogy Tue 19-Apr-16 17:10:56

Could be a few things,
Fibrous scar tissue
Post Traumatic haematoma (which can seem very hard!)

Usually perfectly okay to live with if not a bit annoying. Worth just double checking with GP though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now