Talk

Advanced search

Fitbits for children?!?

(63 Posts)
manicinsomniac Fri 15-Apr-16 18:40:40

Has anyone else noticed this suddenly become a thing?

I've had two children in two separate classes wearing them in school today (both Y6 children, age 10). They might have had them for ages but I'm not very observant. When I asked them if they were fitbits they had on, other children started saying they either have them at home or want them.

I might be being paranoid due to personal and family experiences with eating disorders but I think they're really inappropriate for children to have. I haven't said anything to the children obviously, because it's up to their parents and nothing to do with me. But instinctively, I don't like the idea.

AIBU?

catewood21 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:45:45

When my eldest was in primary, the school lent pedometers out to Y4,5 and 6s for a week each year. Is this so different?

blueskyinmarch Fri 15-Apr-16 18:47:13

I think it s a great idea. It encourages kids to be more active and the whole family can get involved in challenges. We are quick to complain about our youngsters becoming a nation of couch potatoes. This is a perfect way to get them interested in moving more and improving their fitness.

soapboxqueen Fri 15-Apr-16 18:49:46

I had one for ds but it was to see if we could track his stress levels before a meltdown. Didn't work, he just threw it when he got overwhelmed.

Lunar1 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:50:21

Pedometers have been encouraged in ds1's class. There are two children that are very overweight and they are trying to make moving more a class thing.

40somethingwonderful Fri 15-Apr-16 18:50:41

I agree withblueskyinmarch

Timeforabiscuit Fri 15-Apr-16 18:50:57

I noticed leap pad doing an activity band type thing now, and I think it's easy to underestimate how much activity a child does nowadays as they seem to barely have enough time to eat lunch let alone play at school.

I would raise an eyebrow but nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

curren Fri 15-Apr-16 18:51:45

Yabu. They don't encourage eating disorders. They promote movement. You can use them to log your food so you can see calories in vs calories out but you don't have to.

ChrissyHynde Fri 15-Apr-16 18:52:48

I was thinking of one for my DS's 12th birthday in October. He loves being active and to have the ability to monitor himself would really appeal to him .

chipsandpeas Fri 15-Apr-16 18:52:50

depends on how you use them, if you just look at them as a means of tracking exercise/steps then its a good idea
dont use them for tracking food

Timeforabiscuit Fri 15-Apr-16 18:52:51

Doh overestimate!

CocktailQueen Fri 15-Apr-16 18:53:05

Banned in our lower school, in case they get lost, and because dc were fiddling with them all the time. Banned in middle schools here too.

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-16 19:00:44

14y DD has one. I also know a 10y with one (y6)

I see no problem with them, and wouldn't link them to eating disorders. They can encourage fitness and movement. They aren't linked to diet. DD's doesn't mention calories on any of the settings as far as I am aware. There is probably a food tracker on the app/website you can use alongside them - but neither dd nor her younger friend use any form of food tracking.

Not banned in either of their schools, nor in my school. They are treated like a watch, which are allowed.

Blueberry234 Fri 15-Apr-16 19:02:56

My 5 year old likes to wear mine to see how many steps he can do he won't have one of his own yet!

ihearttc Fri 15-Apr-16 19:09:09

DS1 is in Y6 and has one. He absolutely loves it and has really encouraged him to up his activity. Although he already does sport he also enjoys playing xbox but I often find him running up and down the stairs to get his steps up.

We got it to track his sleep mainly as he was struggling to get to sleep at night.

mirrorballs Fri 15-Apr-16 19:13:38

DD aged 4 has a leapband, she has to move more to earn points and look after a pet on it, more points she gets she gets treats for her pet or can get new animals. I like it, it encourages activity and movement

Wolfiefan Fri 15-Apr-16 19:16:39

I wouldn't worry about eating disorders unless it's set up to calculate calories eaten/burnt. As a step counter it's an incentive to move about and increases awareness of how active they are.

BennyTheBall Fri 15-Apr-16 19:17:22

One of mine has one and the other has an Apple watch which does the same sort of thing.

I think they're great.

manicinsomniac Fri 15-Apr-16 19:33:16

Okay, fair enough, I'm unreasonable. Will chill out.

I thought they were all set up for exercise, sleep AND calories. If calories isn't a default then that's better.

Ozwizard Fri 15-Apr-16 19:45:37

My teen ds has one. He gets excited about how many steps he's going to do in a day at school. I'm surprised that it's 9,347 as I thought most of the day is spent sitting down in class!! Mind you he does also walk to school and back. I think it encourages excercise and activity. No harm done.

Katz Fri 15-Apr-16 19:52:22

My 10 year old has one, she bought it with her Christmas money. We disabled the calories tracker bit in the Al. She likes seeing how many floors she's gone up and how many steps. All four (DH DD1 DD2 and I) of us have some form of step counter and we have friendly family competitions into who's done the most. DD2 (the 10 year old) generally wins. She is very active and averages over 14000 steps a day and her walk to school only takes 10 mins. I think there great. aDd1 now does more exercise to try and beat dD2.

GabiSolis Fri 15-Apr-16 19:58:40

I have a Charge HR and you can set it up to display what you want on the band display, so although calories burned is an option you can manually change this so it isn't displayed. My DS doesn't have one yet but I'd be quite happy to buy one for him if he shows interest.

catewood21 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:13:18

have noticed that teachers on MN seem the most uptight about 'new' technology around children?? wonder why that is? [muses]

EveOnline2016 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:16:50

Is the Fitbit any different to the Heath app on iPhone 6s

CallarMorvern Fri 15-Apr-16 22:41:18

DD is 10, yr6 and has asked for one for her birthday. She wants to measure her steps, I think it's a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now