Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to try and find the report into her death?

(12 Posts)
ButterfliesinSpring Fri 15-Apr-16 17:46:38

I had a family friend who took her own life in a secure psychiatric hospital, sometime between 1996-1999

I found a report into the treatment and care of another patient at a different hospital online - I'd like to know if it should and does exist as public information for me to find online.

All I have is an archived newspaper article and when I try to find a record of the death from the newspaper date I can't find it

I don't want to do anything with it, I just want to know more than I do. (I was shielded from it at the time due to my age when it happened)

Anyone know if there would have been a public report in that timeframe? Would it count as a death in custody?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 15-Apr-16 17:52:13

You could try Information Governance Dept but as you're not a family member you might not get the information.

Could you ask a member of her family for the information?

LindorBunny Fri 15-Apr-16 17:56:19

Would there have been an inquest? You could try calling the local coroner's office and see if they can point you in the right direction?

ButterfliesinSpring Fri 15-Apr-16 18:30:22

I'm not sure, would there automatically have been an inquest?

I don't know who her family members are or where they would be living now to ask them

x2boys Fri 15-Apr-16 18:45:46

Yes there will defiantly have been an inquest I, m an RMN inquests automatically happen in sudden deaths especially as she took her own life .

x2boys Fri 15-Apr-16 18:50:33

There will.have been an internal enquiry as well the hospital I worked at had a few suicides over the 20 or so yrs I worked there so there will have been an investigation as to what happened but I ,m not sure this would be public knowledge ?

ButterfliesinSpring Fri 15-Apr-16 18:59:16

What should I be googling/going to the library to find to see if anything comes up?

I don't really want to apply to the hospital as they'll inform her family and they didn't know me etc, so if I can't find it as public information I will have to leave it

ButterfliesinSpring Fri 15-Apr-16 19:02:19

The newspaper states it was due to bullying from other patients that day if that makes any difference - the hospital appear to be acknowledging they failed to intervene

But it's not a detailed article

x2boys Fri 15-Apr-16 19:03:21

Could you try googling,the local paper with her name I, m pretty sure they would have reported it they certainly did in my experience.

x2boys Fri 15-Apr-16 19:05:54

Sorry cross post the paper may well have covered the inquest and other reports when she first died other then that I, m not sure what to suggest because of confidentiality etc the hospital wont discuss anything with you .

BeaLola Fri 15-Apr-16 19:06:09

I think there would have been an inquest. You could start by applying for her death certificate which could include a narrative ? You would need to contact the register office that covers the hospital unit and could order by phone or if not sure order via the General Register Office.

ButterfliesinSpring Fri 15-Apr-16 19:15:31

Yes because the local newspaper was able to report what it did with comments from a nurse and the psychologist I'm thinking that must mean it was public knowledge but I have only found one archived article in the local newspaper, which is another city to where the hospital is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now