Talk

Advanced search

To clean myself even though we can afford a cleaner

(22 Posts)
MorningBird23 Fri 15-Apr-16 10:54:26

We are lucky to be able to afford a cleaner but boy they are nothing but a source of aggravation to me. I've had a fair share of them (agency and independent) and there is always something: whole areas being missed, areas being missed again despite reminders, cupboards rearranged despite requests not to, stuff left in completely different and random places, bathroom left neglected to the point of severe mold forming... I work full time and don't have that much spare time but I've just realised I will be happier if I just clean the house myself? I mean every time the cleaner is supposed to come I am not looking forward to it as I know there will be aggravation when I come home. I know it sounds neurotic and most definitely is, but AIBU?

scandichick Fri 15-Apr-16 11:00:06

Why would you have a cleaner if you don't like it? That makes as much sense as forcing yourself to eat marmite.

Monstertrucker Fri 15-Apr-16 11:03:36

I live where it's normal to have a maid - all of my western friends have one. But I can't bring myself to get one even though it'd only cost maybe £2 per hour. I don't want someone in my house and am quite capable (when I can be arsed) to mop a floor. I'm happy to have a gardener, we have security guards and lots of other staff who work in our gated community. But maid in the house no. YANBU.

washingrail Fri 15-Apr-16 11:05:36

erm, if you're not happy then do it yourself. i have the money to have a cleaner help me but can't commit to it because im a sahm with two children and i would feel too guilty.

thinking about a cleaner because i spend a couple of hours emptying/filling dishwasher/ laundry/cleaning high chairs after breakfast/lunch dinner/x2 snacks/wiping floor after eating/picking up and putting away after the children.

after this, i have little energy or desire to clean. that said, once the house is tidy, cleaning doesnt take more than 30 minutes a day but because im at home lots, it feels like a battle.

just give the company their notice and see how you get on for a while.

KoalaDownUnder Fri 15-Apr-16 11:06:46

Eh? How on earth would that be unreasonable? confused

Most people I know don't have a cleaner, although they could easily afford it.

Glamorousglitter Fri 15-Apr-16 11:07:02

I m of the same opinion, but have found with life work business etc I can't keep up
I be tried agency, had a cleaner who stole from us, had others who weren't good- like you say- places being left untouched, other bits being rearranged,

I ve found though that the first day they start - written instructions for each area helpful,
Stay in the house and show them where and how you want it cleaned from the start
Follow up with feedback rather than seething silently.

MorrisZapp Fri 15-Apr-16 11:08:50

Yes yabu. Nobody who can spare twenty quid a week should clean their own home.

Is this what you're actually asking?

throckenholt Fri 15-Apr-16 11:10:01

There is no law that says you aren't allowed to do your own cleaning. We could afford a cleaner but we don't have one. I prefer to encourage the kids to join in the cleaning - they make most of the mess (and the dogs but they aren't good at cleaning) so they need to be aware of the effort involved in cleaning grin

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Fri 15-Apr-16 11:41:29

What a ridiculous post. Clean your own bloody house. Or not. Who gives a shit. I really am tired of all the posts boasting 'I'm lucky enough to be able to afford a cleaner/pony/yacht/private fucking school'
Well, bully for you.

FANTINE1 Fri 15-Apr-16 12:35:15

Why do you need to come on here and tell us that?

Buzzardbird Fri 15-Apr-16 12:41:51

confused. Would you like us to tell you whether to take sugar in your tea? grin

leelu66 Fri 15-Apr-16 12:54:09

To clean myself even though we can afford a cleaner

You should pay the cleaner extra if you want her to clean you.

JoandMax Fri 15-Apr-16 13:05:06

Just don't have one then and do it yourself! It's not a mandatory requirement once you earn over X amount......

Monster truck - I wonder if we're in the same place? All my friends have maids but the idea of it to me is hideous, having some one in my house all the time would freak me out..!!

herecomethepotatoes Fri 15-Apr-16 14:07:13

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream - Well, fuck off then.

leelu66 - +1 point to you. You beat me. grin

OP - It's up to you and if you feel it stresses you out then clean yourself. We've had full time nannies / maids for over a decade and I think it's stressful to begin with but worth it long term. My advice is to take the time to write a schedule - a list of what you'd like done each day, each week, each fortnight etc. As well as that, write a long list of things you like and don't like. Small things, when done in your home, can be annoying so our list has included things like "no spare toilet rolls left on top of the cistern" and "knives to the left of the cutlery drawer, then forks, then spoons". I know those two make me sound like a complete twat but hey ho, what can you do? Cleaners appreciate knowing exactly what's expected of them and you'll appreciate all they do for you.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like my schedule to adapt to suit you and your family.

FWIW, I think that getting home after work and knowing there's no laundry to do, no toilet to clean, no dishwasher to empty and I can play with the children, scratch my ass and do nothing or anything in between is well worth the initial 'teething troubles' of a new helper.

Yeahsure Fri 15-Apr-16 14:09:16

We can afford a cleaner, I don't have one as I can do it myself on the weekend and my dh in the week. When we've had cleaners I've never found it that much easier tbh. I don't have a huge house though.

HereIAm20 Fri 15-Apr-16 14:09:26

If you're prepared to do it yourself why would you let your bathrooms get to the point of mould when you had a cleaner anyway. Surely you do top up cleans hmm

tilliebob Fri 15-Apr-16 14:14:54

As a PP said, if you don't want a cleaner...don't have a cleaner. Is this some kind of stealth boast? hmm
We could also afford a cleaner but I've never entertained the thought of one. I don't want someone in my house, my DH works shifts so it would be difficult to find a suitable time, I quite enjoy cleaning, and my teens need to learn that houses don't magically clean themselves and are taking on an increasing range of chores I call it life skills grin. Are you going to be thrown out your friendship circle if you DON'T have a cleaner? confused

whois Fri 15-Apr-16 14:54:34

If you like cleaning and/or don't like managing cleaners then crack on!

Personally I find the minor irritations of things not being done as I would do them are far smaller than the irritation of cleaning!

leelu66 Fri 15-Apr-16 19:51:24

herecomesthepotatoes

Sometimes I win one grin

Zaurak Fri 15-Apr-16 20:19:32

We can afford one (and it's 300 fucking quid for two short visits a month where I live, grumble grumble.)

We don't have one. I hate the idea of someone in my house. We're not so flush we can just ignore that money so I scrub my own loos.

ImperialBlether Fri 15-Apr-16 20:23:51

Where on earth do you live, Zaurak? £300 for two visits? How many cleaners and for how many hours?

munchkin2902 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:31:22

I know what you mean. I pay my cleaner £30 a week to do a 2 bed flat and it's filthy - to the point I have to clean myself after she's gone. It's her last day today. I was too nice to sack her but feel I've been taken for a mug which makes me angry. Pretty sure she was leaving early (and one day I saw her leaving after two hours when I paid her for three.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now