Talk

Advanced search

To make my sister wear a 'I dressed myself today' sign when I take her out?

(73 Posts)
EatShitDerek Thu 14-Apr-16 14:11:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeedACleverNN Thu 14-Apr-16 14:16:24

Bless heeeeeeeer!!

Yabu! You should have allowed her to dress you too. You probably embarrassed her

EatShitDerek Thu 14-Apr-16 14:23:41

SanityAssassin Thu 14-Apr-16 14:25:33

I have a DC who doesn't feel the cold at all whilst I am wrapped up in coat boots etc they will be happy in a tshirt - I have taken to carrying their coat and asking loudly if they're sure they don't want to wear it when people look judgingly at me smile

MaxPepsi Thu 14-Apr-16 14:30:29

Haha, I have a nephew who spends a lot of time with his Auntie Max who NEVER gets cold.

I've given up trying to get him in long sleeved tops and shoes and socks in winter, never mind coats and good sturdy boots/wellies!

I love seeing kids who have obviously dressed themselves - I like to think my smile is indulgent rather than patronising though!

Unicow Thu 14-Apr-16 14:49:05

I would assume she dressed herself and probably smile at her or tell her she looks pretty. I always assume kids dressed randomly did it themselves or threw the mother of all tantrums on the way out.

StarkyTheDirewolf Thu 14-Apr-16 14:53:43

My dsis wore a tutu over everything until she was 3. Saw two little girls with their sparkly frocks and tiaras on yesterday riding scooters, made me smile!

BalloonSlayer Thu 14-Apr-16 14:54:52

DD used to insist on doing her own hair. Aye carumba!

I mentioned it to the TA once in a "I hope you realise she does her hair herself and won't let me intervene" sort of way.

TA said they had guessed wink and often said to one another "Little balloon is rocking her Amy Winehouse look today."

(This was long before poor Amy died BTW)

EatShitDerek Thu 14-Apr-16 14:56:37

Ciggaretteandsmirnoff Thu 14-Apr-16 14:58:51

That my life every day!

I console myself with the fact that my child (3) has independence and individuality grin

Monroe Thu 14-Apr-16 15:00:47

I once took DD to tesco dressed as a sheep. It was easier and quicker than coping with an hour long tantrum had I tried to convince her otherwise.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 14-Apr-16 15:03:18

I have taken to carrying their coat and asking loudly if they're sure they don't want to wear it when people look judgingly at me

i did this as well

LittleBoat Thu 14-Apr-16 15:03:26

I have been carrying my sons coat now for 10 years. He isn't ever going to wear it, but it mostly stops the tuts and the stares.
Mind you - a TA at his school recently said to me "Shame on you mum, he'll catch his death!" As he ran out of the school door stripping himself of coat, school jumper and tie. I'm still not ready with a reply even after all these years.

As for your daughter - take loads of photos and relish every minute. It's actually more embarrassing when they get to 12 and start with the foundation, eye liner, and belly tops. I'm currently on a great learning curve of tact and compromise as dd navigates this stage of growing up.

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 14-Apr-16 15:03:31

I've taken DS2 to B&Q dressed as Ironman before. It was easier than getting him dressed.

meddie Thu 14-Apr-16 15:05:26

I love seeing kids in random clothes.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Thu 14-Apr-16 15:05:44

I think I'm the opposite, one day I dropped off the kids, walked the dog, did the food shop, picked DS up from nursery, then later DS and DD from school.

It was not until I was in the playground at 3 that another parent told me I had two large muddy pawprints on the front of my coat. I hadn't noticed them all day, despite taking off and putting on the coat, and no one else said anything!

I've seen photos of myself as a kid and I think I was probably just like your little sister!

WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Thu 14-Apr-16 15:08:00

Aww bless her! My eldest son (11) wears shorts all year round including whilst we were in Austria last February, my daughter (almost 10) also has an, errm, eclectic dress sense and, like a pp said, will not allow me to intervene with her hair in anyway so I too have had conversations with her teachers at parent's eve diplomatically exonerating myself! They both also have favourite things and will wear them constantly, even if they are visibly grubby and stained, and my youngest (5) the other day was wearing shorts with a Christmas themed top and knee high Halloween socks! I give up grin

Everythinggettingbigger Thu 14-Apr-16 15:11:38

DS went through a phase just after his 4th birthday when he was constantly dressed up as some kind of superhero, DP used to go mad and wouldnt take him with him to the shops when he was dressed up. I loved it, DS face when people used to go "oh look its Batman" etc.......such a proud little face!

Micah Thu 14-Apr-16 15:12:24

I let mine dress themselves.

I had a mother who regularly used to send me to get changed if she didn't agree with my outfit, along with the mantra "what will people say". Right up until my teens.

It destroyed my confidence in choosing my own clothes. Especially after I'd had a happy half hour picking things out. I have no interest in fashion now, nor the confidence to try anything different.

My own DD's can wear what the fuck they like. Wellies, sandals, mismatched, fancy dress. All I ever say is "wow, love the outfit". Or occasionally I'll say if they want to go to the park a full length tutu might get in the way on the slide. I love that they go out dressed outrageously with no self consciousness at all. Who cares what people think!

EatShitDerek Thu 14-Apr-16 15:13:34

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 14-Apr-16 15:17:24

DS1 dressed himself recently.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 14-Apr-16 15:18:28

dd was a bugger for dressing herself....she went through a phases of swimwear and tights....being hugely cross that tights meant no flipflops.

then there was the party frock and wellies, moving onto dressing up clothes and bobble hats.

the shorts, frilly socks, and jumper stolen from her brother. in the dead of winter.

Luckily she was reasonably compliant about coats so there was a cover if we really had to go out.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 14-Apr-16 15:19:47

ds2 liked fairy wings, stolen from dd, although they had to come off if we went in the car, but they'd go right back on as soon as he was out.

LauraMipsum Thu 14-Apr-16 15:24:59

I suspect my sister would still quite like me to have a sign like that and I'm 35 grin

Aprille Thu 14-Apr-16 15:34:19

Laura
So would mine and I'm in my forties. My mum in in her seventies and her sister would like to put a sign on her like that when she goes out in public.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now