To ask for your best hemorrhoid remedies?

(64 Posts)
BoopTheSnoot Wed 13-Apr-16 22:50:52

Seriously, I'm 36 weeks pregnant with DS2 and I can barely walk/sit down due to two piles. One small and soft, one huge and rock hard blush
I've been using ice packs and witch hazel for two days to no avail, Anusol has also proved useless.
I had DH take a look and he just laughed and said I look like Rafiki back there hmm
I'm at a total loss, I can't tell you how painful it is. It's actually making me feel sick. Has anyone tried anything that's really helped?

Pettywoman Wed 13-Apr-16 23:00:07

Oh you poor thing, can't help as mine weren't much to write home about. Bumping for you.

springydaffs Wed 13-Apr-16 23:04:21

Eurgh, I remember it well. You have my total sympathy flowers

Ice cube up my bum helped me. I used those plastic ones and put it in a sandwich bag. Instant relief. Plus serious analgesic eg cocodamol (which you can't take! sad ).

though I say 'used to' because since I stopped eating wheat I no longer get piles.

MuddhaOfSuburbia Wed 13-Apr-16 23:08:01

<lurks for tips>

Not preg but IBD which I think has at least something to do with it

Nearly cried earlier blush

It's agony

Waaaaaaah

springydaffs Wed 13-Apr-16 23:08:12

Nelson's hemerrhoid cream was a help, too.

DH had a little op to get rid of his. GP did it.

age81 Wed 13-Apr-16 23:18:56

Germaloids suppository are the best ever, the triple action ones. Just check they are safe to use when pregnant.

BoopTheSnoot Wed 13-Apr-16 23:21:51

I had a cry earlier today Muddha, honestly I'd take childbirth over this any day, because at least you get something wonderful at the end of that pain.
I think it's a combination of pregnancy and high spectrum IBS C that's caused the problem to be so bad. I never knew that haemorrhoids could be so very painful.
Midwife didn't really have any tips for me either. I'm going to ask about a banding procedure after the baby arrives. Will try and source some Nelson's in the meantime, never heard of it before.

AntiHop Thu 14-Apr-16 00:06:17

Gp prescribed me ultraproct. You get it as a cream and a suppository. It's got steroid in it. Better than over the counter stuff.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 14-Apr-16 00:08:03

Boiled mashed up garlic, it's amazing

CiaoVerona Thu 14-Apr-16 00:45:55

How would boiled mashed up garlic help Sonly its not something I think would help at all.
They are a nightmare...I found water helps greatly you can also get prescription strength creams that should give some relief or try Prep H cream.

I would def try ( Being pregnant makes a tad more difficult) basins/sinks of water it helps with the agitation. Really, at the minute they sound super agitated hence the amount of pain you feel water really does help.

EveryoneElsie Thu 14-Apr-16 00:48:47

I kept these in the fridge. It was blissful. And a rubber ring to sit on.

www.boots.com/en/Anusol-Suppositories-24-Suppositories_1848/

Littlefluffyclouds81 Thu 14-Apr-16 00:54:31

Coconut oil helps them (yes it's me, op of the coconut oil thread).

sonlypuppyfat Thu 14-Apr-16 02:44:27

Garlic is a strong antiseptic I remember being in so much pain I was willing to try anything

MingZillas Thu 14-Apr-16 04:50:16

I'd go to the gp and ask for Scheriproct. I think pp suggested ultraproct which may be the same thing. If if was, it was a godsend. Lots of sympathy, I remember how horrible they were.

LostAtTheFair Thu 14-Apr-16 05:04:53

Ditto on the scheriproct. Suppository form rather than ointment as it is more effective. Also the one you describe as rock hard may have thrombosed and may need to be lanced. Sounds horrendous but actually not a painful procedure and the relief is immediate.

FelicityR313 Thu 14-Apr-16 05:09:56

Scheriproct is brilliant.

Aside from that! On one desperate/genius night, I decided to use toothpaste ( I had read somewhere that it worked in cooling the itch).

DH said that he had never seen me so pale and asked what was wrong - through the cold sweat I told him that I'd put toothpaste on my piles.

I think the fucker is still laughing.

That said! That said! The fucking thing stung like fuck for about 2 minutes and then I had no bother for about 2 days!

BoopTheSnoot Thu 14-Apr-16 08:02:28

Thanks for all your suggestions I'll definitely look into them all.
I don't know that I can face doing the toothpaste thing- ice packs are enough to induce tears! The human body can't half go haywire when it bloody feels like it angry

Fancymarmite Thu 14-Apr-16 08:23:09

I had this problem in my last pregnancy and for a week or so after the birth. The hard ones are excruciating!

I had regular sitz baths (sitting for 10 mins, every 2-4 hours in a shallow, warm bath) to soften them.

Also had scheriproct suppositories and ointment from the GP which helped immensely.

This pregnancy, I'm making a massive effort to beat the pregnancy constipation and am on a high fibre diet with lots of fruit and am having daily lactulose as well. So far its working a treat and I'm really, really hoping the haemorrhoids stay away this time!

TheDowagerCuntess Thu 14-Apr-16 08:26:18

You poor thing <sympathy>

I can jump on a trampoline all the live long day, if you know what I mean...

My pelvic floor is literally water tight. The back end, however...

Never been the same since pregnancy.

BoopTheSnoot Thu 14-Apr-16 08:58:12

I know what you mean Dowager. My pelvic floor is practically galvanised, never had a problem there. But, I suppose everything comes at a price and I'm paying dearly in other respects!

springydaffs Thu 14-Apr-16 08:58:33

What's high spectrum IBS C?

If that's irritable bowel syndrome (??), as mentioned above I got rid of IBS in one swoop (plus myriad other symptoms, including, and especially, piles) by avoiding wheat. Miracle!

BoopTheSnoot Thu 14-Apr-16 09:47:11

Well it's probably not so much IBS C so much as a completely non-functioning bowel. It's as fun as it sounds.

brrrr Thu 14-Apr-16 15:24:40

Tried coconut oil after reading this thread this morning. Definitely helping so far (applied twice so far) far more than any other external cream smile

sonlypuppyfat Thu 14-Apr-16 15:31:56

Garlic on your bum! You would thank me

ValancyJane Thu 14-Apr-16 15:49:54

Use baby wipes instead of toilet paper. Trust me, I had awful ones when pregnant and this reeeeeeally helped!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now