Talk

Advanced search

To think that people who call themselves "quirky", "kooky" or "random" should fuck off?

(361 Posts)
Namechangingchameleon Wed 13-Apr-16 22:46:18

Add to that people with "eclectic" music tastes.

Fuckers, all of them.

NeedACleverNN Wed 13-Apr-16 22:47:27

What about hipsters?

SmilingHappyBeaver Wed 13-Apr-16 22:48:04

YANBU. Along with people who tell you "I'm mad me!" and yet they are always really, really dull.

SquidgeyMidgey Wed 13-Apr-16 22:48:29

YANBU at all. Calling yourself that is middle-aged attention seeking in my experience.

NeedACleverNN Wed 13-Apr-16 22:48:41

Or beatniks?!

AnotherEffingOrangeRevel Wed 13-Apr-16 22:49:40

Yup. Zany fuckers, often with stupidly high maintenance hairstyles.
YANBU.

soapboxqueen Wed 13-Apr-16 22:51:34

YANBU include people who call themselves 'crazy' or 'wild'

Buxtonstill Wed 13-Apr-16 22:52:24

Add to that, adults who refer to themselves or others as 'cool' or dudes. Or address a group of people as 'hey guys'
Cockwombles.

tabulahrasa Wed 13-Apr-16 22:52:32

Is that people who have eclectic music tastes, or people who tell you they have?

SquidgeyMidgey Wed 13-Apr-16 22:55:16

Normal people just say they like a bit of everything. Only the attention seeking fuck boring cockwombles say it's eclectic.

Itinerary Wed 13-Apr-16 22:55:24

YABU. I find it more annoying when people describe themselves in pretentious terms, name-dropping and so on. A bit of quirkiness doesn't bother me at all.

Namechangingchameleon Wed 13-Apr-16 22:55:46

People who tell me their music tastes are eclectic. When I was OLD 4 years ago (married now) it was all over the place. Usually the men that said it looked like they needed a good wash.

All the above examples are also valid! Attention seeking fucks. They'll also post all profound bollocks on Facebook non stop and proclaim themselves vegan (nothing wrong with full on vegans) and be munching a bacon sandwich within a week.

Twats, it's narcissistic bollocks!

GooseberryRoolz Wed 13-Apr-16 22:56:43

confused

TAAT?

Canyouforgiveher Wed 13-Apr-16 22:57:26

And for those of us in the US add "maverick" Mind you I'd love to hear someone say "I'm mavericky me!"

sooperdooper Wed 13-Apr-16 22:57:33

Yanbu, dull fuckwits the lot of them, usually spotted wearing a jester hat at a festival because they're so 'wacky'

MadamDeathstare Wed 13-Apr-16 22:58:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Namechangingchameleon Wed 13-Apr-16 22:58:29

Real quirkiness doesn't bother me at all itinerary everyone is a little quirky sometimes I suppose!

But if you go round proclaiming it as your entire personality then you're a twat!

Elledouble Wed 13-Apr-16 22:59:08

Oh god yes. Wearing anything with a moustache print, saying words at random ("badger! Ooh I'm mad, me!"), buying shit made out of cassettes or vinyl records. Fuck. Right. Off.

Namechangingchameleon Wed 13-Apr-16 23:00:11

Not a TAAT gooseberry based on a rant I had with a friend today about these types.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 13-Apr-16 23:06:41

The wonderful MrTerryPratchett said, "I would like it to be clearly understood that this book is not wacky. Only dumb redheads in fifties' sitcoms are wacky. No, it's not zany, either." Add those two.

QueenArseClangers Wed 13-Apr-16 23:33:23

I hate all that shite.

Also, why is 'bubbly' just a polite way of saying 'a bit fat but smiles' confused

Andylion Wed 13-Apr-16 23:34:13

Years ago I had a friend who painted the floor of her new house pink. She made a great fuss about telling everyone that she had done this. "I know, a pink floor. I'm just crazy that way." It was then that I realised that she was an attention seeker. We are no longer friends.

SuburbanRhonda Wed 13-Apr-16 23:36:42

I don't think I've ever met anyone who describes themself as any of those things. Is it an internet dating thing?

EverySongbirdSays Wed 13-Apr-16 23:41:45

I have a wide-ranging taste in music and I believe the correct description for that is eclectic ( ie I own current chart pop, rap country, rock, alternative, sixties, fifties, seventies, soundtracks,opera, classical and more) but it's too often misused by people (hipster cunts) who in fact have a niche taste based on what the NME has told them to like.

All your other points YANBU and YANBU for misuse of eclectic

Newmamatobe Wed 13-Apr-16 23:44:23

If MN had a "like" button I would for sure select this thread smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now