Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that because my desk at work isn't strewn with papers that my boss thinks I'm not busy?

(8 Posts)
angelos02 Wed 13-Apr-16 10:16:53

I like to keep a clear desk whereas colleague I sit opposite has tons of paper everywhere. I've lost count of the times that my boss has come in, clearly looked at both desks and said 'Angelos, you don't look busy, can you do x, y & z for me?' Arghhhh.

Nabootique Wed 13-Apr-16 10:31:33

I think it makes you look more organised, to be honest, but then maybe your boss also thinks this and therefore thinks they can give you more work?

I never take a notepad into meetings and am the only one that doesn't. I always think people look down on that grin

angelos02 Wed 13-Apr-16 10:34:09

I am not a 'neat freak' but just like to be organised. I couldn't work with stuff everywhere. I work on what I am working on and that is it.

Arfarfanarf Wed 13-Apr-16 10:36:10

Your colleague is clever grin shove some papers on your desk and get left alone. Nicely done.
Why not try it. Be interesting to see what your boss does grin

angelos02 Wed 13-Apr-16 10:39:55

arf I think I will!

5Foot5 Wed 13-Apr-16 13:25:42

Next time your boss says that would it not be possible to ask (politely):

"Of course I am happy to do x, y and z but could I ask why you think I don't look busy?"

oldlaundbooth Wed 13-Apr-16 13:36:17

Untidy desk.
Try and looked pissed off all the time.
Note book in meetings, furtive scribbling.

That'll make you look busier!

NynaevesSister Wed 13-Apr-16 13:50:40

How do you keep yourself awake in meetings without a notepad? Taking notes is the only thing that keeps me a) awake and b) paying attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now