Talk

Advanced search

To not apply for jobs?

(14 Posts)
mistybluebellmorning Wed 13-Apr-16 07:50:06

It's just such an arduous process. Background is that I've been working on a temporary basis and found out on Monday it's not going to be made permanent.

I just can't face applying for other jobs.

WIBU to 'retire' / take some time out?

PurpleDaisies Wed 13-Apr-16 07:53:58

How will it affect your standard of living? If you can afford not to work without claiming benefits go for it. Maybe give yourself a time limit though and start looking in a month/six month/year. You might get bored not working (or you might love it).

PurpleDaisies Wed 13-Apr-16 07:54:23

flowers for you-applying for jobs is absolutely horrible.

mistybluebellmorning Wed 13-Apr-16 07:55:09

It will affect it, although we can afford to live but am worried about things like pension and so on.

But from another angle I think being rejected from jobs would wreck the tiny amount of self-esteem I have.

PurpleDaisies Wed 13-Apr-16 07:57:00

You might find not going to work lowers your self esteem too-it's really hard meeting new people. Often the first question after "what's your name" is "what do you do for a living". Take a small break and see how it goes.

GabiSolis Wed 13-Apr-16 07:59:15

It is horrible job hunting.

For me, the decision about whether to take time out would be conditional on whether I could do it without claiming benefits. If so then I would take a look at the impact on pensions. You mention this, so I think you ought to look into it first before deciding.

I know what you mean re the self esteem issue but you do need to weigh that up against financial impact (and if you got a job straight away then this could be good for you!).

HermioneWeasley Wed 13-Apr-16 08:00:53

Well if you can afford to take some time out without it impacting on your finances, do what you like.

But it is generally easier to find a job when you're in one, so if you are going to have to work again then you may as well knuckle down and find another job.

HermioneJeanGranger Wed 13-Apr-16 08:01:32

Can you afford to stop paying into a pension? I would be really wary of taking an extended break from the workplace unless you really have no choice or can happily afford to do so.

Headofthehive55 Wed 13-Apr-16 08:14:23

I feel your pain. My job is moving, at first I was refused a transfer, then I had to apply and go through an interview, rejected, then invited to apply again two weeks later, interview, rejected, now offered a transfer. Somehow I feel disappointed and not wanting to go. The process does really wreck your self esteem.

mistybluebellmorning Wed 13-Apr-16 08:25:51

I wouldn't be able to pay into a pension whilst out of work, although I wouldn't be claiming benefits either.

I know what you mean about lack of self Esteem associated with not working but I also get low self esteem THROUGH working perversely as I always feel I am not very good at it!

whattheseithakasmean Wed 13-Apr-16 08:31:13

I sympathise as applying for jobs is a horrible process. I think it would possibly be worse after a break though. I my experience, applying for jobs is easier when you are actually in a job, so I think you should crack on now. Sympathies though.

mistybluebellmorning Wed 13-Apr-16 08:33:22

Logically I know that's just what I should do but the sick feeling inside me just leaves me like a deer in the headlights.

I feel like I want a total change but don't have a jeffing clue what I'd actually do!

Headofthehive55 Wed 13-Apr-16 08:49:00

I think throughout school and life people talk as if there is a huge choice, yet I think actually you do what you can not always what you want. So much depends on other people's choices and your other commitments that you are trying to fit around.

"You can do whatever you want" really is "you can do whatever there is a need for, for some one who us prepared to employ you."

mistybluebellmorning Wed 13-Apr-16 09:01:05

In all honesty I don't think there's much I can do, and I do feel a bit low about it.

In a way it does make a bit of a mockery of getting qualifications but then I suppose it's my own fault I didn't do much with them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now