Talk

Advanced search

I know it's stupid, but this has really pissed me off.

(65 Posts)
Obliviated Tue 12-Apr-16 09:49:34

DP got a new laptop for Christmas, today I text him and asked him if I could use it as mine is broken, he says of course I can and sends me the password - his ex girlfriends name. I text him back saying 'are you fucking kidding me?' and he called straight away to say it's an old password that he's always been able to remember. Lovely.

PPie10 Tue 12-Apr-16 09:50:38

shockyanbu! So he can't remember your name then? How disrespectful to you.

19lottie82 Tue 12-Apr-16 09:51:12

I'd be pretty pissed off too tbh.

He could have at least muddled together some excuse why you couldn't use it until he changed it!

How long have you been together?

TiffanyAtBreakfast Tue 12-Apr-16 09:53:13

Oh wow that would piss me off.

Nocabbageinmyeye Tue 12-Apr-16 09:54:13

Nah that would piss me right off too

HawkEyeTheNoo Tue 12-Apr-16 09:55:23

YAnBU I would be fucking furious!!!

Annarose2014 Tue 12-Apr-16 09:55:28

It'd be childish but I'd say "Cool, no worries. You won't mind if I change mine to (ex boyfriend). Fair's fair!"

ElderlyKoreanLady Tue 12-Apr-16 09:56:59

Christ that's poor. I'm assuming you've been together longer than he's had the laptop and he's physically set this as a password during your relationship?

Why the hell didn't he stall?! Make an excuse?! Anything other than sending his DPHIL confirmation that he uses his ex's name for his password!

ElderlyKoreanLady Tue 12-Apr-16 09:58:02

My new phone thinks Dear Phil is a thing blush I meant DP.

RaeSkywalker Tue 12-Apr-16 09:58:11

shock I would be very hurt.

Lighteningirll Tue 12-Apr-16 09:59:08

Easy one you now have access change his password to iamacunt

PurpleRibbons Tue 12-Apr-16 10:00:43

One of my passwords is my ex boyfriend's name! I feel guilty now. It really has no significance to me, I used it when we were together and it's a name where it's easy to swop numbers for letters eg 4 instead if A to make a stronger password. Also I assume my DH's name would be easy for people to guess but this wouldn't.

DropYourSword Tue 12-Apr-16 10:01:22

Whoa whoa everyone. Just a second! Ok, I can understand why you're upset, but if he's anything like me he has the same password for virtually everything (or you end up playing bloody password bingo and locking yourself out of things). It might just be that this is his standard password and it's easier to keep it than change. Doesn't necessarily mean anything more than that.

GirlOverboard Tue 12-Apr-16 10:02:59

Presumably that's just the default password he's used for everything for years, so he still uses it because it's easy to remember. I still use my old address for a lot of my passwords, even though I moved six years ago. It's just force of habit. I can see why you're annoyed, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 12-Apr-16 10:03:18

For everyone saying why didn't he stall - that would have looked bad. Really bad. Like there was something on the laptop that he was trying to hide.

So he'd then either have to reveal that the password was something OP wouldn't like anyway, or have OP thinking that there was something on that laptop that he didn't want her to see...

PerryHatter Tue 12-Apr-16 10:05:26

It'll be the same one he's had for years and can't be arsed changing.

Felyne Tue 12-Apr-16 10:05:50

Well your password is supposed to be something nobody else would guess, so in that case it's a good choice really.
I'd be hurt though.

PerryHatter Tue 12-Apr-16 10:06:17

Just realised its for his new laptop - yes, default password. I have one, I'm sure most people do.

magicstar1 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:06:17

Sounds like he doesn't even think about it any more. One of my passwords is the name of a cat belonging to a guy I worked with 20 years ago...it's just a word to me nowadays.

Annarose2014 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:09:03

I know you can have a default password for 20 years but if it's an exes name surely there comes a point where you think "Hmmm mm. ...maybe I should start using something else from now on...."

It's not the same as an old Street or pet!

sepa Tue 12-Apr-16 10:09:41

I would be pissed off but I have the same password for everything so if this is his go to password for years then I can maybe see why he has done it?

SmarterThanTheAverageBear16 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:10:44

You all must be very insecure in your relationships if this would make you furious/pissed off/upset.
It's just a password, fgs. In a good relationship it wouldn't even register.

fascicle Tue 12-Apr-16 10:12:37

I think you're possibly reading too much into this. It's plausible that he's in the habit of using the name and therefore can remember it. None of my passwords reflect any emotional attachments.

Pinkheart5915 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:12:55

It wouldn't bother me at all, it's just a password it means nothing.

Bohemond Tue 12-Apr-16 10:14:26

My telephone banking password is the name of someone I fancied 20 years ago when I set up the account.
My go to password is the name of a cat that dies 5 years ago.
I do not plan to change either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now