Talk

Advanced search

to believe a child should not be left in pain screaming for 4 days??

(109 Posts)
jaabaar Tue 12-Apr-16 06:16:42

Hi

My 6 year old son had to wait 11 months for an appointment to fill a tiny hole. Well after 11 months little hole is a bit of a bigger problem.

Appointment is Friday morning. Since Saturday evening severe toothache. On max dose of panadol and ibuprofene. Does not help. Went Monday morning dentist emergency appointment. They said I just have to wait till Friday app in hospital. They can't give any other pain relief.
Night was so terrible. Screaming with pain begging me to help her.

Third night and day of not sleeping and on of pain.

Called 111 they can't help. Called dentist they can't help. Called hospital. They say u have to wait.

Why if I have to wait can't they help with pain??????????????

Am I being unreasonable to believe it's torture to leave a child in terrible pain for 4 days and nights??

IamtheDevilsAvocado Tue 12-Apr-16 06:19:04

I had similar.. Horrible..

What worked for me : I started saying - it is unethical to leave someone in this much pain... I got help! My

Cakedoesntjudge Tue 12-Apr-16 06:19:58

I would be tempted to take her to the walk in centre and refuse to leave until they provided some pain relief if they're going to make you wait, it seems ridiculous to expect you to wait that long when she's in so much pain.

flowers I hope you manage to get it sorted

Patterkiller Tue 12-Apr-16 06:23:04

Does your dental hospital have an emergency number, I'm sure our local one does although I think you do have to sit and wait much like a&e. I would ring the hospital direct and ask for emergency advice. Poor little darling.

jaabaar Tue 12-Apr-16 06:27:24

I don't know how to get it sorted sad

Everyone is turning me away.

I'm thinking of making emergency gp appointment in the morning.

Everyone is telling me there is no other painkiller for children.

However my ds has had operations before and was given painkillers to manage pain at home.

The problem is also pain comes and goes every 30 min or so. Dentist saw her when she had a good few minutes so maybe didn't believe me. Have taken videos of him screaming just to show gp.

Can gp give me stronger painkiller??

Thank you

jaabaar Tue 12-Apr-16 06:28:54

Advise is to wait for 4 days for hospital appointment and take panadol.

It does not help at all..... he is screaming sad

Ifailed Tue 12-Apr-16 06:35:30

6 year old son had to wait 11 months for an appointment to fill a tiny hole
What, you waited 11 months for an appointment? Did you not try another dentist in the meantime? Are you in the UK?

PPie10 Tue 12-Apr-16 06:37:28

Why did you wait 11 months? Did you try any other dentist or just see a private one?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 12-Apr-16 06:38:37

I doubt dentist could give stronger painkillers to a child.

I assume you have been referred as he wouldn't tolerate it being done in surgery?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 12-Apr-16 06:39:10

The 11 month wait will be down to the referral and not the actual dentist.

Ifailed Tue 12-Apr-16 06:43:30

advice from www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1776.aspx?categoryid=74

is:

*Go to the accident and emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital if you:

are in severe pain that is not helped by painkillers *

GreatFuckability Tue 12-Apr-16 06:49:23

Get some temporary filling. It'll help the pain for a few days

jaabaar Tue 12-Apr-16 06:52:19

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes I am in the UK. I was referred in June by dentist. He would have tolerated it but they insisted it would be a better first time experience to go to hospital where they have special facilities for children. That is what we had to wait for 11 months and have app this Friday......

Pain started only this weekend.

He also has fever now.

Ditsy4 Tue 12-Apr-16 06:55:35

Last year I had a discussion with my dentist( private, switched from NHS) about a child from school being in pain for days and she said no child should wait that long that any child who is crying in pain should be seen within 24 hrs. There is usually a dentist attached to A&E I would also take child there. Alternatively, go to a private dentist.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 12-Apr-16 06:56:30

The dentist may try if you ask but they night not get much cooperation if he is in such pain.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 12-Apr-16 06:56:53

It a nothing to do with dentist being private or NHS.

jaabaar Tue 12-Apr-16 06:57:52

Ifailed

Was told by 111 not to go a and e as they want be able to help.

Fanjo yes it was down to referral the long wait not dentist.

I will just go to gp and pray they believe me if he looks fine during visit.

Thank you all for ur time to answer.

jaabaar Tue 12-Apr-16 07:01:14

I really wonder why the dentist didn't put her a temporary feeling sad

Letustryagain Tue 12-Apr-16 07:01:57

If he now has a fever it may have got infected and he may need antibiotics, so definitely do an emergency GP appointment and if you get no joy, take him to A&E, ignore 111. You can't leave a child screaming in pain like that sad. Good luck.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Tue 12-Apr-16 07:04:23

If you think it's infected I would contact the dentist and not the GP.

Ifailed Tue 12-Apr-16 07:08:21

He would have tolerated it but they insisted it would be a better first time experience to go to hospital where they have special facilities for children
Well, the poor mite isn't having a good experience now! Good luck with the GP, but I would also make an emergency appointment with the dentist as well.

GreatFuckability Tue 12-Apr-16 07:12:09

because temp fillings dont hold. even 'proper' fillings dont always hold well in baby teeth. why didn't you get some temporary filling then?

TheRealBarenziah Tue 12-Apr-16 07:13:01

GPs should not, and usually will not, treat dental infections. If you had a leak, you'd call a plumber, not an electrician. GPs are neither qualified nor indemnified to treat teeth. The GP may be able to help with pain relief, but if you think it's infected, you should see a dentist.

honkinghaddock Tue 12-Apr-16 07:15:19

We have had this with ear infections. For months on one occasion. He started self harming because of it. He was prescribed codeine as well but this didn't help either. Sorry I can't be more helpful but in my experience, if they know the pain doesn't have a serious cause, they expect the child to put up with it.

jaabaar Tue 12-Apr-16 07:19:18

Greatfuckability

Have appointment on Friday for treatment.
Temporary filling might have helped with pain.

Ifailed
Dentist confirmed yesterday it's not infected. Tapped tooth and it was painful (which I thought was sign of infection - I must be wrong) and said no infection.
Don't think they will help me today either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now