Talk

Advanced search

To be on here without yet being a Mum?

(62 Posts)
Nerdygalwithabook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:14:10

Long time silent fan of Mumsnet. I find it interesting and full of useful advice!
However I don't feel that I should have signed up just now to post this.
Or that I should ever post for advice or comment. (First post here)

I have no children yet. I am 19. I plan to one day though. I just really enjoy this site and look through it multiple times a day. AIBU or is this ok if I stay silent or what. Sorryyyy and thank you!

grin

ollieplimsoles Mon 11-Apr-16 23:17:17

I wish I had joined this site sooner, ive been a member for a little over a year, I joined as soon as I found out I was pregnant but I was aware of some of the famous threads (yoni, piss pringles, penis beaker etc..)

Sunnybitch Mon 11-Apr-16 23:18:01

If your a big fan you should know there are loads on here that are not parents hmm

Nerdygalwithabook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:18:49

What really?? Doesn't any one get bothered by the non parents?

SpaceDinosaur Mon 11-Apr-16 23:19:39

And SunnyBitch if you're so great then you would know that it's YOU'RE, not your within the context of your above post.

WorraLiberty Mon 11-Apr-16 23:21:40

Lots of posters aren't parents and lots have started threads to say so.

The general consensus is that it doesn't matter, as lots of topics aren't parent/child related.

ilovesooty Mon 11-Apr-16 23:21:40

Why should anyone be bothered by non parents? There are loads of threads that aren't about parenting.

PurpleDaisies Mon 11-Apr-16 23:21:46

There are loads of non parents on here. It isn't an issue.

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:21:51

Everyone welcome. Doesn't matter whether parent or not. There are loads of topics that don't involve parenting.

Nobody gets bothered by non parents.

Nerdygalwithabook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:22:18

In all honesty I've been thinking I was a weirdo ..... sad

Nerdygalwithabook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:22:45

But now I feel happy smile

ilovesooty Mon 11-Apr-16 23:22:46

Worra - snap

YoJesse Mon 11-Apr-16 23:23:07

A male friend in his twenties with no plans for kids anytime soon admitted to me he mumsnets for advice on all stuff the other day. I laughed and didn't let on I'm a mumsnet regular
YANBU

Salmotrutta Mon 11-Apr-16 23:24:00

Hey, pssstt - there's even men on here.

Nerdygalwithabook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:24:20

Haha thank gawd for that. I check it for the active and trending topics like five times a day. Haha

ollieplimsoles Mon 11-Apr-16 23:24:22

I think its nice to get a non parents perspective on situations that arise with dc, sometimes I cant think clearly in the real world so don't see the most obvious solution to a parenting problem

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:25:50

You can't tell whether a poster is a parent or not unless they announce it either way.

Nerdygalwithabook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:26:07

Ahhh I like that. I can imagine parents and non parents can help each other that way

Maryz Mon 11-Apr-16 23:27:10

You don't have to be a parent, loads of people aren't.

But (and this is a very big but) you are only 19. Do you really want to be an addict for the next 70 years shock

By the way, I come here to try and forget I have children. I have all the parenting parts of the board hidden.

Nerdygalwithabook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:28:28

Maryz

It's too late ......shock

fatmomma99 Mon 11-Apr-16 23:28:48

Y are def NBU

I once posted on a thread about whether having children is fulfilling saying how I felt totally fulfilled as a person and a woman by having had a child, and I just assumed that most readers would automatically feel the same way, only to get totally lambasted by a whole load of people decrying me when they were non parents and felt I was talking down to them because they didn't have children for various reasons (some very sad). I didn't go back to the thread, although I wrote several fantasy posts in my head along the lines of "um..... the website is called MUMSnet", but have since learned... there's all sorts on here.

I've learned this evening that some even hate The Archers.

Salmotrutta Mon 11-Apr-16 23:29:25

grin Maryz

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:30:55

TBH I wouldn't have been fussed about MN when I was 19.

Nerdygalwithabook Mon 11-Apr-16 23:31:20

Cor fatmomma99 that sounds a bit harsh lol !

Is it sad I know all the lingo now blush

WorraLiberty Mon 11-Apr-16 23:32:02

But (and this is a very big but) you are only 19. Do you really want to be an addict for the next 70 years

The last couple of newbie teenagers didn't last 7 days, let alone 70 years grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now