Talk

Advanced search

To think if someone is dead their spouce should not hijack the dead persons twitter

(21 Posts)
hettyGreek Mon 11-Apr-16 12:31:06

https://twitter.com/lyndabellingham

This is just not on right?

SmallBee Mon 11-Apr-16 12:33:32

Can't click on the link, but my friend died to years ago and his Mum still uses his Facebook. I'm not judging as everyone handles grief differently but it is chilling every time I get a notification that my dead friend has liked my post.

hettyGreek Mon 11-Apr-16 12:34:40

That is very chilling, I would of thought that such a practice is banned by social media?

U2HasTheEdge Mon 11-Apr-16 12:41:00

He's just a complete twat isn't he?

If it was anyone else I wouldn't judge, but with his ghost comments, well I have no nice words for him.

Jw35 Mon 11-Apr-16 13:02:13

My sister died 11 days ago and my brother has put a couple of posts up in her fb with funeral details and thanking people for flowers etc. I think it would be weird to use the account to like other people's posts though shock

NotGonnaAnswerThePhone Mon 11-Apr-16 13:04:51

Wow, using her Twitter to sell his book. What with the other news he has been in today, he sounds like a right twat

juls1888 Mon 11-Apr-16 13:06:31

Just had a quick look at the tweets on that account.....he isn't coming across very well at all, very grabby.

hettyGreek Fri 15-Apr-16 10:16:01

Yes he's totally grabby, selling a book and the ghost thing was disgusting.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Fri 15-Apr-16 10:23:30

He's a total dick from what I've read about him - holidaying in the sun whilst her children get practically nothing from her estate- surely not what LB would have wanted? And the ghost thing was grim. If LB's ghost came back she's probably want to haunt him to death, not have sex with him hmm

Birdsgottafly Fri 15-Apr-16 10:33:19

I think this is a good example of why you need to set your wishes out.

I reply on a lot of Will/Gaurdian making threads, because I've seen how people change, when left with an inheritance and/or power over burial etc. I'm 48 and I've worked in end of life/social care, so come into contact with a lot of families.

I'd like to give some of his behaviour the benefit of the doubt, having been Widowed myself, but the remarks about making love to her ghost, was disgusting.

""I think it would be weird to use the account to like other people's posts though""

I agree. I thanked people on a close relatives account and used it as a way to announce funeral arrangements (and the death after contacting people that I could). I haven't shut it down, yet, but I constantly deactivate it.

RebootYourEngine Fri 15-Apr-16 10:34:35

It is all a bit strange isn't it.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Fri 15-Apr-16 10:45:28

That's horrible, he's coming across as very grabby indeed. Can't see the ghost comments though?

GirlOverboard Fri 15-Apr-16 10:54:58

I'm sorry but I do not like this man one bit. It's fine to keep a Twitter account updated after someone has died. But to actually hijack the account and use it to post holiday selfies and hair transplant updates is deeply disrespectful. What if her sons want to remember their mother by reading through some of her old tweets? They're going to be faced with this creepy man in his ridiculous suits, which can't be very nice for them.

AlwaysDancing1234 Fri 15-Apr-16 11:01:30

I think posting messages to the deceased FB or Twitterfriends about funeral arrangements etc is fine but to actually hijack the account and post your own rubbish is despicable.

Kit30 Fri 15-Apr-16 11:02:31

TBF everyone deals with grief differently. MP's tweets don't seem to be gratuitously offensive in themselves. Seems he's written the memoir for charity which can't be a bad thing. Not sure if the twitter followers are his or his late wife's- probably hers for the most part - so that's a lot of potential for marketing the charity he's supporting.
Yes, keeping someone else's account going may be distasteful to some, but if it was closed down would LB's family lose out. I mean, would all her tweets be deleted too?

bungmean Fri 15-Apr-16 11:07:52

what's the ghost thing?

LagunaBubbles Fri 15-Apr-16 11:12:05

So sorry for your loss Jw35 flowers

Andrewofgg Fri 15-Apr-16 11:12:13

We know what she wanted; she made a will. Her children are fighting it under the Act of 1975 saying it is "unfair" but that it "isn't about the money". Sure it isn't.

That Act should not be available to healthy adult DC at all, but that is another issue.

Birdsgottafly Fri 15-Apr-16 15:28:41

""what's the ghost thing?""

He said that her ghost appeared to him and they made love.

tinyterrors Fri 15-Apr-16 16:49:39

I'm another who thinks posting funeral arrangements is a good idea, even spouses don't always know all of each others friends and it's a good way to let them know arrangements.

Posting wither as the other person is wrong. As for trying to sell a book, I have no words, it's disgusting and the tweets should be deleted.

JuneBuggy Fri 15-Apr-16 16:54:41

WTAF! shock

Agree that posting funeral details is appropriate, but using it to sell your book and discuss your "travels" with random internet strangers is beyond odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now