…to not pay for DS and his friends?

(15 Posts)
dustyanswer Mon 11-Apr-16 12:30:57

DS has just asked me to book and pay online for an activity session for him and his friends for later this afternoon. The friends would all pay me back when they meet up - DS would collect the cash. Apparently I'm the only parent available for this service (they're 14 btw).
I have said no, because the total cost would be nearly 90 quid and I have no assurance that they will all turn up or have permission to go. They're lovely lads but I've had experience of them getting me to do a similar thing before (ie ordering vast quantities of Dominos pizza) and then having to watch as they scrape together the cash and I always end up out of pocket (and I always feel like an extortionist!).
Am I being mean? It's £12.50 each so if even one or two drop out I'm down by a fair amount.
(I've told him that if they all come here and put the dosh on the table first I will do it).
WWYD?

paxillin Mon 11-Apr-16 12:32:44

I'd do what you suggested, they come, put the money on the table and you book. Remind him of the pizza.

SweetieDrops Mon 11-Apr-16 12:34:25

I think your compromise is reasonable, you get the boys together and they pay you before it gets booked.

CwtchesAndCuddles Mon 11-Apr-16 12:34:52

YANBU - No credit, cash upfront!

Leeds2 Mon 11-Apr-16 12:35:52

I don't think you are being unreasonable. I can quite easily imagine a situation where you pay, then one of the boys can't come on the agreed date so doesn't pay and you end up out of pocket.

Kidnapped Mon 11-Apr-16 12:37:24

"Apparently I'm the only parent available for this service (they're 14 btw)".

I will translate this for you.

They have asked the other parents and the other parents have said no.

scarlets Mon 11-Apr-16 12:39:02

Insist on the money upfront

acasualobserver Mon 11-Apr-16 12:39:25

Apparently I'm the only parent available for this service

I wonder why! Agree with others - cash up front or the deal's off.

whois Mon 11-Apr-16 12:39:58

Super reasonable to insist on dosh up front (and dosh from ALL the boys, not your DS fronting anyone)

honeysucklejasmine Mon 11-Apr-16 12:40:35

Cash upfront. Nice lads shouldn't mind.

dustyanswer Mon 11-Apr-16 13:09:36

kidnapped grin

They have now decided not to go so good job I didn't book it! But as future reference I'm glad I have MN permission to insist on cash upfront grin

Maryz Mon 11-Apr-16 13:12:23

I would do it for ds's friends, but that's because I know them all (and most of their parents) and I know they would cough up.

One or two might need some persuading, but they would all pay.

However, I would want a text from each of them individually (either to my or to ds's phone) confirming that they are definitely going, and that they are going to pay me the money. That way I have evidence even if they don't turn up/don't pay.

Maryz Mon 11-Apr-16 13:12:59

x-post.

[sigh] at 14 year old boys.

Arfarfanarf Mon 11-Apr-16 13:15:21

Yeah, I know why they've suddenly decided not to do it :D little buggers :D

dustyanswer Mon 11-Apr-16 13:44:51

Maryz I know all the boys and their parents but I don't have the time or energy to do all that organisation or chase them for the money, also it would be a bit awkward I think. I don't think any of them would deliberately set out to embezzle me but you know, teenage boys don't really think beyond the moment do they?

They're still going to do this thing, just not today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now