Talk

Advanced search

To ask what started you going with DIY and Home Improvements

(25 Posts)
incywincybitofa Sun 10-Apr-16 22:34:03

DH completely lacks talent motivation and would rather get someone in even for the simplest jobs.
I want to tackle something to get me into it, something that I can manage on my own.
Not painting though, it brings out the asthmatic in me smile
Go on give me some suggestions

newmumwithquestions Sun 10-Apr-16 23:13:27

Demolition! I mean work out what you need demolished first, but it is intensely satisfying. I'm rubbish at anything skilful but a dab hand with a kango hammer or sledgehammer.

ThinkBeforePosting Sun 10-Apr-16 23:16:40

Curtain rails or putting up shelves. DIY is all about using the right tools. They don't have to be expensive.
Everything you need to know is on YouTube.
Ill happily tackle anything with the help of YouTube - I might go slowly but I get it done.

CointreauVersial Sun 10-Apr-16 23:19:30

Money!

It costs to get someone in. Particularly with the simple tasks you can have a go yourself and save a lot of cash.

Having said that, if I were rich I'd never lift a paintbrush again. We've done loads to this house, and I can't say I enjoy doing it.

charlestonchaplin Sun 10-Apr-16 23:23:59

Tradesmen expecting me to pay top dollar for a mediocre finish.

incywincybitofa Sun 10-Apr-16 23:30:14

Demolition sounds good but I might start with a new curtain rail, even DH couldn't find someone to do a job like that on it's own.
Off to Youtube it

skinoncustard Sun 10-Apr-16 23:47:14

Paying for a job I can do better myself.
I paint and hang wallpaper , plaster small areas . At the moment i have patched and plastered the ceiling where we have removed some down lighters.
Put up coving ,
Also make blinds and curtains .
The reason? I hate paying for a substandard job . Maybe I have been unlucky but have never found a decent tradesman that does the job to my standard.
As has been previously said , if I don't know how , a bit of research on you tube usually helps.

cozietoesie Mon 11-Apr-16 00:15:26

We were brought up to do most everything ourselves - or at least know how to do it. And if there are things we choose not to do for some reason, it makes a heck of a difference to a job if you know what the worker is doing and can appreciate/discuss the process.

springydaffs Mon 11-Apr-16 00:46:46

I don't know if I'm tired but I don't understand your question?!

If you mean why do I do DIY - because I love it. Or, well, I used to love it but I'm getting a bit lazy after a lifetime of it. But I still do it because I'm horrified at the cost of getting someone in - when I could do it myself. and have to agree that the standard of jobs I've had done has been not very good.

Realistically, though, I wouldn't have done half as much if I could afford to get it done by a professional.

ExH was not remotely interested in DIY. When we split he got someone in to decorate his christmas tree.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Mon 11-Apr-16 00:53:02

I like the results, I get a satisfying feeling, especially if I did it myself which I don't have to often as luckily I married a buildersmile

BackforGood Mon 11-Apr-16 01:07:59

What started me, was buying my first place, which needed quite a bit doing to it, at a time when my income wasn't huge but my mortgage was (or seemed it to me at the time). Interest rates were running around 14% and that left me with a tiny disposable income. Seemed a good time to 'give it a go' and learn how to do stuff.
Now I'm older, have less time, and more money, it makes more sense for me to get someone in to do stuff - they always do a better (more professional) job than me and my earning power is now usually higher than what I have to pay to get things done.

SaucyJack Mon 11-Apr-16 01:10:36

It's the colour I like. I love the fact you can transform a room with twenty quid's worth of paint and a day's work.

Doesn't help you though..... Wallpaper?

CremeEggThief Mon 11-Apr-16 01:20:41

Start simple, like putting up coat hooks on the back of a door, or hanging pictures on the wall. I didn't even know the difference between nails and screws 3 years ago and now I can assemble simple flat pack furniture.

positivity123 Mon 11-Apr-16 07:47:11

I never did any DIY until we bought our house and my DH is handy so won't get anybody in and now I love it.
Putting up pictures properly with a spirit level etc is good, curtain rail, sanding and cleaning stuff. It's my perfect weekend and Youtube is your friend

Piemernator Mon 11-Apr-16 09:39:28

DH loves DIY, I don't but have a go.

He always says if he has done something himself he knows exactly how it has been done, the man owns 4 spirit levels and has a dedicated tool cupboard not just a box.

He fitted our kitchen it was nothing to do with not being able to afford it he just wanted to know the quality of the work was good. It did take 2 months as he did it in his spare time which drove me a bit potty.

He is forbidden to do any work on the roof or guttering as I have informed him that though he is insured for loads and I would be a very Merry Widow cash wise I can't be arsed to find a new husband.

incywincybitofa Mon 11-Apr-16 11:27:53

So I shall get a really good spirit level and start with a new curtain rail, and some blinds in the living room and then move on with my amazing spirit level to a photo display in the hall upstairs in case it all goes wrong

I am being a touch ambitious to consider tiling at this early stage aren't I?

toomuchtooold Mon 11-Apr-16 12:13:04

It's as good a workout as the gym (depending on what you're doing) and at the end of it you have a nice looking new room instead of athlete's foot and a gym subscription to pay for.

What needs doing in your house? Generally any sort of labouring is worth doing, as a tradesman will charge you his full hourly rate even though you're not using their skill really - so any stripping of paint, wallpaper, removing old carpets, that sort of thing.

amarmai Mon 11-Apr-16 12:21:26

Sewing curtains and bed coverings is an easy room changer. Get a 2nd hand simple sewing machine- the old Singers that only do straight and zigzag are well made. the fancier embroidery machines are a faff.

incywincybitofa Mon 11-Apr-16 12:30:23

I don't know what needs doing
Well 2 bathrooms need changing but I accept I can't do that
The whole of the downstairs was redecorated at great expense last year but it feels shoddy I want to put up new curtains (which I have bought) but they need a different rail. I could add some blinds
I want to change some lights that involves changing the fitting
The office needs a major overhaul as I use it for work and DH uses it for pleasure it is a mess, we had some built in shelves made and I look and think it is all straight cuts could I really not manage something similar
DSs room needs redecorating (but that is a paint job) and he needs new furniture and maybe a chalk wall and or notice board
DDs room and ours could do with a redecorate so maybe I could paper our room and change the curtains

Writing it out I see it can be partly down to laziness and having a toddler under my feet

Then there is the garden....

amarmai Mon 11-Apr-16 13:53:24

sure you cd cut some shelves, drill some holes and put up curtain rods, do some wallpapering etc. That's what google is for! Buy a good strong drill-again google and read reviews. You are going to be amazed at what you can do and be a great example for your dc. Your dh can be the ladder holder and passer up of screws etc/ Making roman blinds is easier than curtains BTW. Use the slats from old venetian blinds as the frame for the folds and already have holes to guide the pull up cords. Again google!They can be hung by heavy duty hooks and eyes from the top of the window frame, just insert a thin wooden slat into the top hem to hold the screw in hooks.

amarmai Mon 11-Apr-16 13:54:17

wonder if there is allergy free paint?

incywincybitofa Mon 11-Apr-16 15:12:06

www.lakelandpaints.co.uk/testimonials/ amarmai I have found this and ordered a shade card
I suspect it wont be inexpensive so maybe we just wont be able to afford a tradesman!

amarmai Mon 11-Apr-16 15:29:03

i love painting my house,op. I do insides and outside walls, windows, doors ,floors, stairs, ceilings and furniture. I try different tecnics, latest is chalk paint and glitter paint-i make my own , get recipes from google! I do stencils, murals, pictures, landscapes-anything that appeals to me to try. My house is my canvas., When i don't like the results , i paint over it. And get a lot of white paint to mix with vivid colors and grey to mute too bright effects. You are going to have decades of fun!

incywincybitofa Mon 11-Apr-16 16:39:45

That did make me smile amarmai

amarmai Mon 11-Apr-16 21:29:26

Good ! have fun,op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now