To think this doctor was either a genius or too rushed

(11 Posts)
Realitea Sun 10-Apr-16 22:21:40

I just waited 2.5 hours to see the out of hours GP.
I was seen for less than 30 seconds. i feel I hadn't been properly checked over! My ear and glands are swollen and very painful, but no temperature. He had a look in the ear and felt my glands.
Am I being unreasonable to phone my normal GP tomorrow or do I trust I've had the right advice? (That it's a virus and not to worry)
I was told to see a doctor if I developed any further symptoms on Friday due to a petichiael (sp?) rash I have.

lougle Sun 10-Apr-16 22:43:04

Tell us about this rash? Until you said that, it all sounded fine - the doctor can see if there is inflammation in the ear when they look. No fever again suggests that there isn't a bacterial cause (or if there is it isn't sufficiently established to cause you problems).

CantChoose Sun 10-Apr-16 23:26:49

What would you have liked the doctor to do that they did not? If your symptoms are ear and gland pain and swelling then looking at your ears and feeling your glands sounds appropriate. Is there something you are particularly worried it could be?

Realitea Mon 11-Apr-16 07:33:19

The rash is the type you get with meningitis although I don't have that obviously or I'd be a lot worse by now. I had blood tests for it on Friday and haven't heard back about the results which I suppose means it's nothing serious. I'm just left wondering what it is and why I'm getting ill all the time. I feel like I'm constantly seeing a doctor at the moment.

Leigh1980 Mon 11-Apr-16 07:39:10

Are you on any medication at the moment? I know my partners meds can cause a rash which he had to look out for its a dangerous side effect (he hadn't had one yet)

Is the rash sore or itchy? Can you touch you chest with your chin?

Leigh1980 Mon 11-Apr-16 07:39:48

Your*

incandescentalright Mon 11-Apr-16 07:44:17

As long as they knew all your symptoms I think it's ok. Swollen glands/hurty ears are so common, so if they're the main symptoms then it's not like a doctor is going to spend time racking their brains for all the possible causes when they know that it's in all likelihood a viral infection.

shazzarooney99 Mon 11-Apr-16 07:58:15

You can get a rash with a virus.

Realitea Mon 11-Apr-16 08:16:23

Must be a virus then. I don't feel ill though apart from my ear. Ill stop worrying now though.
The rash wasn't sore or anything.i did have hives first then the rash which has lasted a few days but I'm sure if it was serious something would've happened by now.

itsonlysubterfuge Mon 11-Apr-16 08:41:30

My DD always gets a rash when she gets a virus, sometimes it's the only symptom she gets, along with being clingy and feeling generally unwell.

Ear pain can suck. Try a warm, hot water bottle, that can help.

Hope you're soon feeling better.

Realitea Mon 11-Apr-16 08:43:37

Thanks flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now