to think2nd hand car buyers are incredibly cheeky

(12 Posts)
Sparklycat Sun 10-Apr-16 19:15:22

So we're selling our old car - 04 plate 90000 miles and has mot. I put it on gumtree and a car selling Facebook page for £500 which is at least £250-£500 cheaper than extremely similar cars are on for on gumtree and auto trader as I want a quick sale.

I've so far had about ten offers of £300, a couple at £250 and one at £150! I'm confused. In my mind if someone has listed something at a price then that is the price you pay, unless you view the car and find something to haggle down on.

So AIBU to think these are all incredibly cheeky chancers or is this a thing in the car buying world and really I should have put the car on for £200 more than I wanted?

Mishmashpotatoes Sun 10-Apr-16 19:18:09

That's just what happens on Gumtree. I wouldn't say they're being cheeky, just putting in an offer.

GabiSolis Sun 10-Apr-16 19:19:41

No that's not cheeky. You don't ask, you don't get.

Sparklycat Sun 10-Apr-16 19:21:41

Thanks, I was prepared for offers but taking at least 200 off of something 500 seems a bit much to me. Im obviously not cut out for this!

Sirzy Sun 10-Apr-16 19:22:13

You should have listed it for £750 knowing you would be willing to drop to £500, people will generally try to haggle the price for a bigger purchase

NeedACleverNN Sun 10-Apr-16 19:23:09

Your supposed to put £500 no offers.

But saying that there are always people who try

Sparklycat Sun 10-Apr-16 19:27:27

Yep I thought I'd made a mistake not inflating the price to cover offers sad

ollieplimsoles Sun 10-Apr-16 19:33:56

Thats just gumtree op! people will try it on, I would increase the price on your listing so they have to haggle you down to £500

Grilledaubergines Sun 10-Apr-16 19:36:11

Re-list at a higher price and you're more likely to get what you want. That's the way it goes, love a haggle myself!

LikeDylanInTheMovies Sun 10-Apr-16 19:36:30

YABU - most people will haggle over the price of a car. You should have given yourself a bit of wiggle room by sticking it on for more than the price you wanted. In fact I've never known anyone offer the asking price unless it says 'no offers'

lamiashiro Sun 10-Apr-16 19:40:04

Normal for second hand car selling. I stopped being polite to the chancers who called and asked my lowest price before even seeing it. Not to mention the ones who give you a sob story about how they can only get hold of £1500 cash when the car's advertised at £2500. Then buy a car for £1500, mate.

TheWitTank Sun 10-Apr-16 19:42:59

Just take the listing off and relist at a higher price with offers welcomed. You should get somewhere near what you want. People do this with anything listed on Facebook selling pages/gumtree/eBay from pets to furniture. Everyone wants a bargain! I remember DH selling a car on ebay and someone persistently messaging with ridiculous offers insisting we accept as he could collect tomorrow and really wanted the car. We told him about 5 times that we had had better offers by at least £500 more but he was determined and really annoyed and put out that we wouldn't accept. Car sold for 3 times what he offered grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now