Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed about Lollipops?

(31 Posts)
Herzie29 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:22:17

Or more specifically cafes and other places who give lollipops to your small DCs.

Several places recently have 'offered' DD (2.7) a lollipop when we have paid the bill. I know I could say no but she's already seen them by then and it's too late.
These are local 'greasy spoon' type cafes so I suppose that you've already chosen a not very healthy option by going in but, while I don't mind DD having the occasional egg and chips I am very careful with her sugar (not to mention I think they are a choking hazard).

I know I should just avoid these cafes, but it's most of our local options who are now doing it.

Savagebeauty Sun 10-Apr-16 18:24:01

Pfft.
Not worth worrying about.
Avoid greasy spoons and go somewhere else

Muskateersmummy Sun 10-Apr-16 18:24:33

I don't mind them being offered. I always politely decline. It's no big deal for me.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sun 10-Apr-16 18:25:36

Are you going to greasy spoons every day?! If not, the occasional lollipop really isn't going to hurt.

Otherwise, just be firm and say no. your choice.

tiktok Sun 10-Apr-16 18:27:08

If you don't want her to have a lollipop then just say no. She's two. She doesn't need the lollipop and she will soon forget about it if you distract her. This should not be a huge problem!!

MissMoo22 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:27:27

YANBU! My 19 month old squeals with delight when someone produces a lollypop. She would scream the place down if I told the person she couldn't have it. She would also scream with delight if someone offered her a banana and throw a fit if I said no, so it's not just about the item but more that they think someone is giving them something and are just so happy about it.

Roseberrry Sun 10-Apr-16 18:28:12

I don't mind the sugar but get v panicky about lollipops and choking hazards.

Spandexpants007 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:29:32

Yep just say book thank you. Prewarn your child that this will happen

Spandexpants007 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:29:43

No thank you

storminabuttercup Sun 10-Apr-16 18:30:00

It's honestly not that big a deal really, one lollypop?
We went to a place that gave a handful of old school sweets with the bill. Love hearts, refreshers etc!
I DS loved it.
Sugar isn't bad in moderation

kimlo Sun 10-Apr-16 18:32:29

A boy near here choked to death on a lolly a few years ago, because of the shape of them once they are in they are very hard to get out, like grapes and sausages.

Dd2 knows shes not allowed themand tells people that if they offer her them.

Its just the choking risk though, the sugar foeesnt bother me.

Muskateersmummy Sun 10-Apr-16 18:32:48

missmoo whilst I feel your pain of a tantruming toddler, they do have to learn they can't have everything they are given.

Herzie29 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:33:13

Rose berry - yes I think it's the choking thing I worry about most. I don't worry if she eats a chocolate mint if we get those. It's not that we go very often, it's just happened at several places in the last few months.

I know I could just decline, but the meltdown would take the shine off a treat.

PrincessHairyMclary Sun 10-Apr-16 18:33:20

DD is 6, she knows she isn't allowed hard/boiled/ chewy sweets ( I don't like them for the choking potential as muh as the sugar coatin the teeth) and will decline herself now and there was never much of an issue when she was younger just a no and distract her with whatever we were going to do next or give her a couple of choclate buttons / organic crisps that I often carried in my bag.

WorraLiberty Sun 10-Apr-16 18:33:28

I know I could say no but she's already seen them by then and it's too late.

It's not too late to say no to your child, if you don't want her to have a lolly confused

Or are you suggesting everyone else should change to accommodate your toddler and make your parenting easier?

magicaltoaster Sun 10-Apr-16 18:36:15

I've never been fussed about dd having sugar bad mum and would always allow her to have the lollipop in these situations (we rarely ate out anyway). Now shes's five shes not fussed and always turns them down. They've never been a novelty, so i guess she doesnt see them as a 'treat'. Sometimes being restrictive can backfire a bit...

Herzie29 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:37:08

There are plenty of things I say no to, and I'm going to have to start saying no to these too. ( Now I just take it 'for later' and get rid of it discreetly while she is distracted with something else).

Herzie29 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:38:10

Worry, maybe cafes should think twice before giving a toddler a potential choking hazard?

MrsS1990 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:38:23

I've always just taken them off him. But he's a laid back kid.

I just don't like them cos they alw everything sticky and I'm afraid they will come off the stick and get lodged in his throat

Savagebeauty Sun 10-Apr-16 18:38:43

Why can't you say no thank you and quickly go?

WorraLiberty Sun 10-Apr-16 18:41:44

Worry, maybe cafes should think twice before giving a toddler a potential choking hazard?

But again, that's putting the onus on the cafe to stop providing something that thousands of other parents have no problem with.

You're perfectly entitled to say no, and as a parent you just have to deal with any tantrums.

Tantrum is what kids do best.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 10-Apr-16 18:47:15

YNBU. My mum nearly chocked on a lollipop when she was 11, so she wasn't a baby. We were never allowed lollipops, aside from drum sticks and flat lollipops. I was the same with my DD as well. Lollipops are basically just a hard boiled sweet on a stick.

toobreathless Sun 10-Apr-16 18:48:02

Just Say No!

What's the big deal?

If one of mine starting creating they would be immediately removed from the cafe, hardly as issue as you said it was when paying the bill.

bakeoffcake Sun 10-Apr-16 18:53:07

I always used to turn them down if offered. You're the parent and are allowed to say No!

SmarterThanTheAverageBear16 Sun 10-Apr-16 18:54:36

I know I could say no but she's already seen them by then and it's too late

Do you give her everything that she sees? Every chocolate bar in every shop, every sweet or toy or comic? Of course you don't, and you don't have to give her a lolly just because they have them by the till.

You want no other children to be offered lollies because you can't say no to your child. Does that really sound reasonable to you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now