Talk

Advanced search

Amazing prizes on Facebook and the like, they are a scam or AIBU?

(18 Posts)
WalkingZed Sun 10-Apr-16 13:39:43

And very cynical?

Currently everyone is sharing pictures of a Range Rover as apparently someone is going to be picked at random to win one on 12 April, just for liking and sharing the page.

These aren't real are they?

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Apr-16 13:40:36

It's bollocks. And a scam. Some people are very gullible.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 10-Apr-16 13:42:20

Not on the same scale but MIL won a prize worth about £50 in a FB 'like and share' competition run by a small local company.

For bigger 'cars and holiday' type prizes, I would have thought that it came out of the company's marketing budget.

Dontneedausername Sun 10-Apr-16 13:43:30

That one is a scam. It's not the real Range Rover page sharing it.
But plenty smaller, local business ones aren't.

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Apr-16 13:44:38

The Range Rover thing has apparently done the rounds before. What would the company have to gain by giving away such a stupidly expensive prize? The page is 23 hours old!!

McPie Sun 10-Apr-16 13:47:11

Almost always a scam, real companies have a blue circle with a white tic in it to show its verified. There may also be a random - or . somewhere in the name, generally if its too good to be true then steer clear and that's from someone who enters loads of competitions.

Its a scam, they collect data I think when you like and share their posts. You often see them from Apple- they have a surplus of tablets or Lidl vouchers etc. All scammy

MuggerBe Sun 10-Apr-16 13:48:48

Complete scam. People set up these pages. Thousands accept and like them. They are then sold on and usually changed to bigger 'send us money' scam pages or to advertisers who simply change the page name and instantly have thousands of unsuspecting followers.

As the old saying goes. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

londonrach Sun 10-Apr-16 13:57:52

The ranger one isnt real as linked to another site...

NeedACleverNN Sun 10-Apr-16 13:59:48

Some are scams such as the apple products and vouchers for aldi

Some I would think are real but it's such a fine line that I wouldn't want to participate just in case

BennyTheBall Sun 10-Apr-16 14:02:18

They're a scam.

I am always surprised when I see my (seemingly intelligent) friends sharing some complete bollocks from e.g. 'Virgin Atlantics' confused

scoobyloobyloo Sun 10-Apr-16 14:06:00

We went to Barbados on holiday at New Years after winning a Thompson holiday via Facebook...

juls1888 Sun 10-Apr-16 14:25:30

The Range Rover, Apple, Tesco vouchers ones are scams. However I am very lucky with the real ones. I've won a power washer, a couple of high end meals out, a Nexus tablet, a case of fancy crisps and loads more!

RudeElf Sun 10-Apr-16 14:26:43

Yes scams. Very easy to find out. Click through to the page and it will likely be brand new only set up days ago and no other photos. Or go on the genuine range rover page and ask.

TitaniumSpider Sun 10-Apr-16 15:37:52

Q. Does it sound too good to be true?

A. Yes.

Plus Facebook doesn't actually allow like and share prizes - though I think they ignore the breach of their terms and conditions because it gets the gullible users on the site more.

familysizepack Sun 10-Apr-16 17:17:01

I am continually amazed at seemingly intelligent people sharing fake pages.

Small businesses often do giveaways, especially for baby stuff like slings etc. (I won one once)

But the win a car/ click here for £250 tesco voucher/ super expensive airline tickets etc are all scams.

I had to send an article about "like farming" as it's apparently called to my mum as she was sharing the ones her friends shared.

GabiSolis Sun 10-Apr-16 17:27:03

Lots are scams but I have a friend who enters every competition going on Facebook and she's won tonnes of stuff, ranging from a cat bed to an aga.

MaximilianNero Sun 10-Apr-16 18:39:07

Definitely a scam. My sister shared it today and I had to tell her. The RR one asks people to 'sign up', it's trying to get people to subscribe to a SMS service that charges something like $5 to receive a text

www.hoax-slayer.net/2016-version-of-free-range-rover-facebook-scam-spreading-rapidly/

I see loads of these FB scams, I have friends that always fall for them when they don't fall for other kinds of scams eg. email, not sure why. Cars and flights are very common ones. If it isn't on the companies official page, it's almost certainly a scam, if it says to like, share, comment and sign up, it's a scam, that's the common format whatever the fake product on offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now