Talk

Advanced search

help hospital appt tomorrow for staples removed

(24 Posts)
cavkc123 Sun 10-Apr-16 12:32:25

I know it's not really AIBU but I put this here for traction

I had fairly major abdominal surgery last Tuesday with an incision somewhat longer than say a caesarian scar.

I was expecting stitches but was horrified to discover than they've used staples instead. I have to return to hospital tomorrow for the bleeders taken out (30 in total I counted when they changed the dressing) and I am absolutely petrified.

Many many years ago I had a really bad experience having some removed, it was so excruciatingly painful. Now I am far from being a wuss, normally they can do whatever they want but this one makes me want to throw up. so has anyone got any recommendations on any way I can make it less painful this time?

I guess I really just want some positive experiences

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sun 10-Apr-16 12:34:38

Positive story here.

I had a hysterectomy wound and was stapled.

Didn't feel a thing upon their removal, in fact it was strangely compelling to watch.

It was completely numb around the area.

MsFiestyPants Sun 10-Apr-16 12:34:53

Ask for gas and air! No reason for you to suffer, I agree with you not a nice experience to look forward to!

Luckster Sun 10-Apr-16 12:36:39

I had my staples removed by a health visitor at home after a c-section. Not really sure why staples as I've had 2 other c-sections and they didn't use staples. Anyway, I didn't feel a thing. It was a quick and easy process to have them taken out.

Lifecanonlygetbetter Sun 10-Apr-16 12:36:59

I had two C.S and didn't have any pain with staples being removed on either occasion, so I am sorry to hear that you had such a painful experience. Why not explain what happened in the past and say that you are feeling anxious about it? Being tense may make it more uncomfortable. Hope it goes ok.

Luckster Sun 10-Apr-16 12:37:15

Sorry that should have read they were removed by a midwife - not the health visitor!

ShowOfHands Sun 10-Apr-16 12:39:19

Staples are often due to the preference of the surgeon.

Tell them about your last experience and stress how nervous you are. It will likely be very different this time.

Are you healing well?

wannadancethenightaway Sun 10-Apr-16 12:51:53

Oh OP I hope it goes ok. I had a section (no staples though) and I agree with another PP that the site of the wound was completely numb. Couldn't feel a thing for about an inch around the wound as well so hopefully you are in the same position. Also, this might be a silly thing to say but try to relax when it's happening as tense muscles may make it more painful xx

inlectorecumbit Sun 10-Apr-16 13:04:38

2 previous sections with staqples, no problems getting them removed.
If you are worried about pain takes some painkillers 1/2 before appointment. I am sure you will be fine

Smilelikeyoufeelit Sun 10-Apr-16 13:07:55

Another positive one. Have had stapes removed from knee and after section. Didn't feel much on my leg and felt nothing at all from the c section. I didn't even know that she had finished!

DottyButtons Sun 10-Apr-16 13:12:33

Hello, I've removed 1000's of staples in my last job as a practice nurse.
Often it's just surgeon preference about which type of wound closure they use.
Do tell them how hard it was last time for you.
Medical staples aren't like paper staples, they don't fold under and should take seconds to remove.
Maybe take some paracetamol 45 mins before your appointment.
I'm sure it'll all be fine

Gruffalosgrandma Sun 10-Apr-16 13:19:48

I had staples removed from an abdominal ( long ) wound with no problems at all. I had 4 sutures removed from my finger and it was agony.

cavkc123 Sun 10-Apr-16 13:36:33

Ok well I'm feeling a bit better about it now

I have one or two though that feel really sore, every time I move it makes me Yelp, like a really sharp pinch.

Definitely taking painkillers beforehand

sohelpmegoad Sun 10-Apr-16 18:45:26

My staples were very nippy whilst in whenever I moved and I was very aprehensive about having them removed especially when they gave me the "pliers" to take to the nurse.
However it only tickled a bit having them out and I was much more comfortable with them gone. They did advise a painkiller before hand but I didnt get a chance to take it.

Cheby Sun 10-Apr-16 18:51:05

I had staples for a gallbladder op recently, very annoying as they restricted my movement and I would have been back driving and back at work after 7 days if I'd had dissolvable stitches.

Staples came out at 10 days and were fine, no pain at all and such a relief to get them gone. Ones in my belly button felt very odd but not painful.

Tell them you're concerned as it was painful last time, and if it is painful ask them to stop and get you some pain relief before continuing. Hope it's all ok for you.

EnPapillot Sun 10-Apr-16 18:56:35

I had staples removed from a section wound and can honestly say it was painless. I actually thought the little tool they used was seriously nifty and strangely enthralling to watch!

notsmartenough Sun 10-Apr-16 20:01:52

I was nervous about having staples removed (had lots -eight inch wound) but the whole process was quick and painless.
The hospital gave me a plastic staple remover to take to the clinic with me but the clinic nurse preferred to use 'proper' ones!

olympicsrock Sun 10-Apr-16 20:20:11

I' m a surgeon . We often use staples as they give a good result. Most people do not find it uncomfortable when they are removed. If you are worried take some painkillers about 45 mins before the appointment. That way they will be well into your system . I did this before my last dental appointment and it worked brilliantly. You will be fine....

Headofthehive55 Sun 10-Apr-16 20:33:08

I always think stapled wounds never look as neat.

scarednoob Sun 10-Apr-16 20:37:03

I had staples after my c section. Only one of them hurt a bit, the one right at the end; the rest were fine. It won't be as bad as you think.

If I had it done again, I would put my favourite song on my iPod and close my eyes until done.

scarednoob Sun 10-Apr-16 20:37:17

Pressed post too soon - meant to say good luck!

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Apr-16 20:42:17

Two of my cats have had staples. (OK not a person I know!)
The last one lay in my arms and purred whilst they were removed! Trust me if it hurt she would have shredded me!
Good luck.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 10-Apr-16 22:01:51

I have had more than my fair share of surgeries with a wide variety of closures and suture patterns. Performing surgery myself I am familiar with the terminology.
Worst type of suture to remove for patient - Ford interlocking pattern ( think blanket stitch).
Least bad - sub cuticular pattern ( none visible).
Staples were some where on the middle. The benefit of staples is that they are mostly a quicker closer and gets the patient of the table faster.

cavkc123 Tue 12-Apr-16 12:55:33

All done, didn't hurt a bit .... Phew

Also the reason I was in so much pain was due to the staples. It's the 6th time they've used this cut and it was harder for them to get proper closure, hence why the staples felt painful

Thanks for the posts though, I certainly went in there not completely terrified

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now