Talk

Advanced search

new job and pregnancy

(11 Posts)
autumn500 Sat 09-Apr-16 10:52:20

Hiya,this is probably more of a WWYD but just looking for advice.

Me and oh stopped using protection in February this year-we aren't obsessing over ttc and looking into ovulation dates or anything,it's more 'if it happens it happens'-we are getting married next year so would probably try a bit more seriously after that,but as it's going to be a town hall wedding with two witnesses we would just change the date if anything happened before that (as we want to be married before having a baby-just out choice)

I've recently been offered a promotion which I will be accepting,and it comes with a 12 month trial/probation period.am I right in thinking that if I fell pregnant within this time that it would be a real problem and I wouldn't get kept on after the year? Me and oh aren't sure whether we should be being more careful until this year is up(is that being deceitful to employers?) or whether to just carry on as we are since I'm approaching 30 and am unaware how long it would take to fall pregnant.

Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing,but I'm reluctant to ask questions in work in case they think I'm taking the job then going to fall pregnant ASAP or something.

Hope that makes sense,this is my first time posting in here,be gentle lol

FuckSanta Sat 09-Apr-16 11:01:00

The probation thing is a red herring. In the UK have no protection from dismissal for anything not covered by anti-discriminatory legislation for the first 24 months of employment. So they can sack you for any reason up to 2 years of employment and you wouldn't be able to claim unfair dismissal unless it were a discriminatory reason. Pregnancy and maternity rights are protected. However, you could get pregnant and they could fire you for breathing uniform policy or turning up late (if not because of antenatal spots) or sickness (if not related to pregnancy) etc.

Probably not worth stressing unduly. We took a "let's see what happens" approach and I was pregnant within a fortnight (aged 32).

FuckSanta Sat 09-Apr-16 11:03:14

* breaching, appts

autumn500 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:06:58

Thank you for the reply-I hadn't really thought about it until I saw the official offer letter which mentioned it at the bottom.im a civil servant-not sure if that makes a difference but since it was a promotion i wondered that instead of dismissal I could get demoted back to the previous grade?probably too early to think about it but just had visions of accepting the job then becoming pregnant real fast and going off on maternity within the first year,which I don't think employers would appreciate!

kellybee90 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:21:39

I'm a civil servant too and I'm really certain that there's nothing to worry about.

I assume that it is a permanent promotion (not a temporary one for 12 months) which means your old role becomes completely irrelevant. It's only if you are on a temp promotion that they can move you back into your old role.

Therefore as it's a permanent promotion, your 12 month probation relates to your performance in that role. I employ someone who is just AWFUL and is coming up to the end of his probation, and it is unlikely that we can terminate his employment at the end of it because it is so bloody difficult to do! You need a hell of a lot for evidence and statements etc to demonstrate why he is not up to standard - so I really don't believe they could ever use your probation period against you due to pregnancy. They know full well they would be opening themselves up to a huge discrimination case.

As long as you are competent in the promoted role (and not messing up ridiculously on a day to day basis) I wouldn't worry one bit smile

kellybee90 Sat 09-Apr-16 11:30:52

Also, depending on what department you are working for, I'd definitely recommend checking with HR. The departments I have worked for have always been huge and so the HR team is soooo far removed from the rest of the workforce that it's not a problem discussing things with them (ie. If you went to HR to check what the implications of a pregnancy would be on your probation period where I am working, there is no way the person I spoke to in HR would personally know me or my manager and they have to treat it confidentially so I know I would get objective unbiased information that would not be passed on to anyone I am working with!)

FuckSanta Sat 09-Apr-16 11:48:22

I was head of HR for a tiny govt department (<100 employees). I treated everything confidentially!

kellybee90 Sat 09-Apr-16 12:31:21

Sorry, meant no offence was meant by that I promise! I have no doubt that all HR personnel treat everything confidentially - I worded my last message wrong. I merely meant that I have felt comfortable talking to complete strangers who don't know me or my boss or anyone so I don't feel anxious about word getting out.

autumn500 Sat 09-Apr-16 13:22:47

Kelly thanks so much for your reply it has made me feel much better-my HR is external so really you are just a payroll number so it might be worthwhile me dropping them a general email to see what they say-I didn't realise that my last grade was irrelevant once I got a promotion,I thought that if I really messed up in the 12 months I could get demoted

Thanks again-and I know what you mean about HR,I have every confidence in the fact that HR keep everything they are told confidential but I would feel more comfortable talking to a stranger than someone I knew (like how our HR used to be)

kellybee90 Sat 09-Apr-16 13:39:26

Happy to help, and glad you feel better! Just make sure you read over the terms and conditions before you sign regarding them moving you back to your old post for whatever reason - I am certain you will be fine but it never hurts to check!

wannabehippyandcrazycatlover Sat 09-Apr-16 16:56:56

I work in HR and if you are civil service you have absolutely nothing to worry about AT ALL!!!

Go for the job and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now