AIBU to get frustrated by a lecturer who always goes over time

(17 Posts)
Tiptoethroughthetinsel Thu 07-Apr-16 22:16:27

I have been taking a course and the lecturer always goes over time. It should last from 6 to 8 but for instance tonight she was still carrying on when I left at 8:20. I'm a single mom and have to be home to relieve my sitter who can't stay later. I feel like I'm always at a disadvantage because I can't ask questions after and I'm missing information the other students are getting. She doesn't show up until right before so turning up early doesn't help. I'm paying for the course like everyone else. Is this normal practice?

LotsOfShoes Thu 07-Apr-16 22:19:33

Yanbu to be annoyed. I used to hate this as well when I was at uni. And it was never because the lecturer was saying something super useful, it was always because they would get distracted and talk about something tangential or would drone on and on about one minor detail. Very poor form.

Tiptoethroughthetinsel Thu 07-Apr-16 22:21:59

The other students are all young so it's probably not a huge deal to them. She also shoots me a withering look before I leave. Like I'm not taking it seriously.

dylsmimi Thu 07-Apr-16 22:25:22

I have just had this with a lecturer at uni and I drove me crazy - he was under the impression that we had nothing better to do with our lives but listen to him angry I will add it to the course evaluation
Can you maybe speak to her at the beginning and say 'I hope you don't feel I am being rude leaving at 8 - I was under the impression that was when the course finishes and I have to be back for childcare/ home commitments / etc' ?
May just be the prompt she needs?

AliceInUnderpants Thu 07-Apr-16 22:26:36

YANBU

Can't you extend the sitter by half an hour?

Tiptoethroughthetinsel Thu 07-Apr-16 22:28:02

I keep telling myself I will but there is never time to speak to her and she intimidates me.

Tiptoethroughthetinsel Thu 07-Apr-16 22:30:28

No. I was lucky to get her to stay that long and she is my last resort sitters. The others couldn't commit. I'm really stuck with the sitter times unfortunately. 😞

ilovesooty Thu 07-Apr-16 22:30:59

Can you email her?

ElderlyKoreanLady Thu 07-Apr-16 22:31:52

YANBU. Is it running over because of interruptions?

AlexandraEiffel Thu 07-Apr-16 22:32:47

I'd email and explain the problem.

AllisonWonderland Thu 07-Apr-16 22:37:00

YANBU. I occassionally lecture and I don't go over time, it's bad time management and it discrimates against people who can't stay back. Do you have an overall course tutor or a personal tutor you could speak to? You can couch it in terms of your concern that you're missing out because of your parental status rather than complaining directly about her.

SeriousCreativeBlock Thu 07-Apr-16 22:37:07

I'd get in touch with your personal tutor if I were you. Also definitely write this on your feedback forms. And the fact you find her intimidating. This annoys me too btw, expecially since we have parking attendants at our uni!

Tiptoethroughthetinsel Thu 07-Apr-16 22:37:51

No just because she goes off on stories about her job experience which I wouldn't mind if the class ended on time.
I'm thinking of emailing but hate emailing things that are contentious without tone and body language

Euphemia Thu 07-Apr-16 22:37:53

I'd email the course director.

ifyoulikepinacolada Thu 07-Apr-16 22:38:53

Yanbu at all - finishing late is just an unacceptable as starting late!

Tiptoethroughthetinsel Thu 07-Apr-16 22:39:53

I didn't think about talking to the tutor. That's a good idea. Not confrontational. I just know if I said to the lecturer I'd end up teary and look like an idiot

GoblinLittleOwl Fri 08-Apr-16 14:57:05

E-mail and explain why you have to leave, and ask if she could give you notes/recap on the information at the beginning of the next lecture on anything you may have missed.
Regard the extra time as a bonus; someone with enthusiasm for her subject!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now