Talk

Advanced search

To Think That Jumping in & Offering the Same Item On a Post is Rude ??

(29 Posts)
RockinHippy Thu 07-Apr-16 19:59:16

Just that really, but to clarify...

I took photos with measurements & description etc of a large item we have to give away. Then posted it on my local community noticeboard Faceache page.

Before it's definitely gone, someone else has piped up on my post with, "I have one to get rid of too if anyone wants it" & is then replying to individual people who have expressed an interest in mine.

I think it's bad mannered, DH thinks it would be if I was selling it, but as its a free item, it isn't rude

Who is right ?

bornwithaplasticspoon Thu 07-Apr-16 20:01:36

It's free so I can't see the problem.

araiba Thu 07-Apr-16 20:02:04

binmen dont care- offer it to them

jebus

NeedACleverNN Thu 07-Apr-16 20:03:06

No it is rude. I would have kept an eye and then messaged people after you said yours was gone so they knew there was still one available

Casmama Thu 07-Apr-16 20:04:11

I think it is a bit rude but I also think it is a bit odd to capitalise first letter of almost all but not all the words in your sentence grin

RockinHippy Thu 07-Apr-16 21:09:58

Thanks for the replies

Yes, Need, that pretty much how I would have played it too, or at least comment to the original poster, that I had another if they got more than 1 taker.

Yep, I'm guilty of very crap capitalisation there. It wasn't intended, but autocorrect & my current state of medically induced pea brain had other ideas.

Bin men wouldn't take it here, large items have to go to a tip out of town, besides, it's just too big for us, but otherwise a decent item & still has a lot if life in it, so it seems a shame not to recycle it

I get that it's free, so no real big deal, but just seemed so bad mannered to me confused

Anyway, it's now gone, so she can offer away as much as she likes & it won't irritate me anymore smile

herecomethepotatoes Fri 08-Apr-16 03:33:32

It seems a little rude perhaps but as it's a give-away, not as much as if you were trying to sell something.

NeedACleverNN - I also think it is a bit odd to capitalise first letter of almost all but not all the words in your sentence

You should have paid more attention at school / be smarter.

herecomethepotatoes Fri 08-Apr-16 03:34:12

web.archive.org/web/20130117225252/http://writersblock.ca/tips/monthtip/tipmar98.htm

RockinHippy Fri 08-Apr-16 07:33:15

Yep, I'm guilty of very crap capitalisation there. It wasn't intended, but autocorrect & my current state of medically induced pea brain had other ideas

Herecome Perhaps you should learn how to read wink

exLtEveDallas Fri 08-Apr-16 07:37:36

RockinHippy, herecome was supporting you, not belittling you.

LineyReborn Fri 08-Apr-16 07:44:10

It's too early, isn't it?

RockinHippy Fri 08-Apr-16 07:55:34

You should have paid more attention at school / be smarter

I'm sorry, but if I were posting in support of someone, I would not be using snide comments like this ^^

CousinChloe Fri 08-Apr-16 07:58:11

OP, that comment you've quoted wasn't aimed at you.

LineyReborn Fri 08-Apr-16 08:03:34

It was aimed at the poster who commented on your capitalisation. As in, you, OP, were in fact correct. So the other poster should have paid more attention in school.

I think confused

exLtEveDallas Fri 08-Apr-16 08:06:14

That's right Liney.

RockinHippy herecome's comment was aimed at NeedACleverNickname, not you.

RockinHippy Fri 08-Apr-16 08:13:12

Oh, gawd, it is too early isn't it blush

If that's the case, I apologise Herecomes, if not, I don't grin

I've got to be honest, I'm so thick headed at the moment, I can't remember what's right or wrong & I wish I could blame it been early. I intended to capitalise all of my title, but I was on autopilot & failed, could be me, could be my badly trained autocorrect. I frequently fail with grammar these days, it's not stupidity or lack of education. It's cognitive dysfunction thanks to a health issue, so TBH, I don't really care any more, there's worse things to worry about & I know, that I do usually know this stuff, but also know first hand that it's not always cut & dried - I'm as much of a pedant as the next when someone is getting paid to make mistakes - that really makes my teeth itch too

Nicky333 Fri 08-Apr-16 08:25:19

Yes, Needaclevernickname was trying to belittle you but got it totally wrong and Herecomes was sticking up for you.

Your OP, well, it is rude but maybe they thought as it was a free item, it didn't matter.

RockinHippy Fri 08-Apr-16 08:25:40

Looking again, my tittle is wrong either way, following any rule form, "On" should be low case, or all capitals as intended(I think) - I do usually use a mix of low & uppercase in titles. That's how I was taught, but as above I'm too brain dead of late to always remember the complexities of that form of title capitalisation, so I avoided it - or tried to & failed confused

Theres bigger things in life to worry about really, so, so long as I know that I know, I don't really worry about pedants. TBH, I see it more as there problem, than mine. Sometimes I see it done kindly & by way of gently helping a poster, far more frequently it comes across as a bullying tactic & I hate bullies far more than poor grammar - unless you are getting paid for writing of course

RockinHippy Fri 08-Apr-16 08:27:28

Their problem confusedshockgrin

Point made, as far as grammar goes I think need to give up grin

SoupDragon Fri 08-Apr-16 08:28:53

I think the only error is the capital O used for On. From my dusty memory of grammar anyway. Possibly "That" as well. Meh.

wink

SoupDragon Fri 08-Apr-16 08:29:06

I think the only error is the capital O used for On. From my dusty memory of grammar anyway. Possibly "That" as well. Meh.

wink

ridingabike Fri 08-Apr-16 08:31:33

Anyway returning to the original post, no I don't think it's rude. I've done it. Original poster got rid of their item and I got rid of mine. If it's an item a few people are likely to want it's a good idea. And it saves on posts (it would also be good if people would delete the post altogether once the item has gone - if we are talking about Facebook).

AwfulBeryl Fri 08-Apr-16 08:33:02

I don't think it's rude tbh. You have obviously had quite a bit of interest in the item, so you can definitely get rid of it. In my mind this is just someone offering the same item so that other people don't lose out. I know they could have pm'd them but I don't really see why they would have. I am obviously in the minority though.
Either way it's not the sort of thing I would give too much thought.

MardyBra Fri 08-Apr-16 08:33:49

It's casmama not needa who commented on the weird capitalisation. Mind you, all caps like the op intended would just be plain rude shouting.

AwfulBeryl Fri 08-Apr-16 08:34:29

And I grin at faceache, I haven't heard that before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now