Talk

Advanced search

Buying a car: AIBU to be confused by these DVLA instructions?

(11 Posts)
craniumache Thu 07-Apr-16 18:27:02

I'm buying a new car from a private seller and we're planning to complete the deal on Sunday morning. This page of the DVLA website says "The new owner must tax the vehicle before they drive it on the road ...The tax isn’t transferred when the vehicle is sold."

So, presumably I need to pay for the tax at the point of sale (I can't do it in advance because I don't have the V5C/2, and so I don't own it yet, and can't do it after I've driven it away either).

However, the page also says: "This service is available Monday to Saturday, 8am to 6pm".

Does that mean it's not possible to tax a car on a Sunday, and therefore not possible to purchase a car on a Sunday?

Or is it just a badly written webpage? (I'm hoping the "service" it refers to is just the refund to the seller, and not the ability to tax the car - surely they don't disable their payment website out of office hours!!!!????).

LIZS Thu 07-Apr-16 18:28:40

I don't think you can do it online without being the registered owner.

BaronessEllaSaturday Thu 07-Apr-16 18:29:33

My dd picked up her car on a Sunday and did arrange the tax at the garage before driving away so yes it can be done on a Sunday.

Plomino Thu 07-Apr-16 18:31:38

Get hold of the V5 , with the reference number , take your smart phone , and taxis whilst in their driveway . Job done .

Plomino Thu 07-Apr-16 18:31:53

Tax it even

GroundHogLife Thu 07-Apr-16 18:32:41

The link is to a Vehicle Management service where you can advise DVLA that legal ownership of the car has changed. Tax uses a different service which is available 24/7.

mangocoveredlamb Thu 07-Apr-16 18:33:12

Or explain this problem and get them to drop the car off with you?

GroundHogLife Thu 07-Apr-16 18:33:39

www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

lougle Thu 07-Apr-16 18:41:15

You can tax it online. I did it at the car dealership.

craniumache Thu 07-Apr-16 18:44:13

Thanks GroundHogLife - that's what I was hoping, so good to have confirmation. It's a bit ambiguous.

GroundHogLife Thu 07-Apr-16 18:54:35

I'll flag the thread to some user journey types who own the service. Might need updating to make it clearer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now