Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be this angry at being unable to book an Air France bassinet in advance?

(45 Posts)
Brnobaby Thu 07-Apr-16 11:44:57

I am absolutely livid and now I'm very nervous about my first flight with 6 month DS.

I booked a long haul flight months ago with Air France to Japan from London and thought I'd be able to book a bassinet in advance as per stated on their website. Call Air France and they can't book because its actually a KLM flight. Call KLM and they can't book because its booked through Air France. After over 20 phone calls I'm now told that the best thing to do is to turn up at least 3 hours in advance at the airport in Paris for best chance of getting a bassinet but we have a connecting flight from London tand we can't get there any earlier than the flight allows. So basically, I think I'm being told that we have very little chance of getting a bassinet.

I am really angry about the cyclical phone calls Ive already had to make and I'm now told I need to somehow get to Paris earlier as a solution to the problem. How ridiculous.

Air Frances website states "Our top priority is to maximize comfort and well-being for you and your family".

AIBU to think I should be able to book one in advance? I'm so nervous about such a long flight without having a bassinet for DS to sleep in.

Hirosleaftunnel Thu 07-Apr-16 12:07:06

You will be fine. They will do their best for you. It is in no one's interest to have a screaming baby on the flight. Are you going on your own? Google flying with babies and there will be loads of useful tips and detailed packing guides. Not sure what the service is like on KLM but the Asian routes are usually very baby/family friendly. It will be fine. Have a great trip.

Hobbitfeet32 Thu 07-Apr-16 12:12:23

How big is your baby? At 6 months he may well be too big/heavy for the bassinet anyway. I have found it easier when travelling with babies that age to have them sleep on me. That way if you fall asleep too all that can happen Is they can slide down your leg so easier for you to relax and sleep. I going when mine were in the bassinet I was worried that if they rolled over or tried to sit up its quite a drop to fall so I could never quite relax fully on long haul flights. Hopefully you'll get one but don't worry if you don't as it might not be the best option anyway.

Brummiegirl15 Thu 07-Apr-16 12:15:48

How heavy is your baby? The limit for bassinets on BA, Virgin and Emirates is 24lb so it may well be the same for the others and as a pp said, you may find at 6 months your baby is too heavy

Fingers crossed you get it sorted though

Hobbitfeet32 Thu 07-Apr-16 12:18:10

Also every time the seatbelt sign comes on you have to take them out of the bassinet. Much easier if they are alseep on you as you can keep the belt loosely round and neither you or the baby gets disturbed if you're asleep.

Esssss Thu 07-Apr-16 12:20:23

Don't worry or panic, the crew will help you. It's annoying that they state on their website that you can book in advance but they genuinely will try and help you as someone else mentioned, it's in everyone's interest to have a happy baby. I flew long haul with my then 7 month old on my own a while ago without a bassinet and actually it was ok.

Nksw Thu 07-Apr-16 12:30:04

Work as crew - we will always try to ensure parents with babies get a bassinet position where possible. We know who has paid extra for the extra legroom those seats have and who hasn't. We will try to rearrange people. People are usually happy to swap.

It's VERY rare for a parent not to be given these seats by ground staff anyway. Don't worry too much.

6 months and under on our flights get a cot - 6m+ get a britax type seat. Don't know about KLM but would assume a similar situation.

YANBU about the poor service - you shouldn't be passed from pillar to post. Have you tried Twitter? Public anger usually works.

AndNowItsSeven Thu 07-Apr-16 12:38:39

My two year old twins weigh 18 and 21 pounds I doubt a six month old is going to be over the 24 pound weight limit!

bloodyteenagers Thu 07-Apr-16 12:56:38

Get onto twitter.
Babies all weigh differently. Hence the percentile thing varies from 5-95 percentile, and of course how they are fed. So it is possible for a 6 month to way the same as your twins.

AndNowItsSeven Thu 07-Apr-16 12:58:03

Yes I know babies weight different weights. However 24 pounds for a sixth month old would be very unusual.

oldlaundbooth Thu 07-Apr-16 13:02:45

DS was 27 pounds at 6 months and still fitted in the bassinet. His bum touched the floor though grin

You'll be fine OP, Air France are usually pretty accommodating.

Twitter if you are still worried.

Brnobaby Thu 07-Apr-16 13:30:41

Many thanks for the comments. DS is 14lbs. It's reassuring to hear from those with experience that even without a bassinet I'll be fine with him on my knee. I think I need to start using twitter as I only have two followers from when I first signed up. Never quite get around to using it.
I think I may have been worrying unnecessarily as the Air France call centre staff were so unhelpful and offered absolutely no reassurance. Many thanks folks.

PrimalLass Thu 07-Apr-16 14:00:24

I would do Twitter at this point as they have been less than helpful. You should not lose advertised services by booking through a code share.

Brnobaby Thu 07-Apr-16 22:34:36

Thanks for all the help. I did as suggested and took to social media, complaining on their facebook page and surprisingly got a very speedy response. They have promised to sort this out for me and book me a bassinet which is reassuring. Shame that their customer service line couldn't be as helpful in the first place but so glad that I've found a communication channel that is taken seriously. Go social media!

arethereanyleftatall Thu 07-Apr-16 22:51:13

Iirc babies can't go in bassinets if they can sit up unaided.

AgathaMystery Wed 13-Apr-16 20:34:35

Glad you have sorted it but to reassure you I had connections similar to yours & the skycot was booked for me all the way to end destination. DC was 9m old at the time& slept most of the flights. Staff were SUPER helpful and I was waved through all queues in all countries. I think flying with a baby is a breeze TBH.

herecomethepotatoes Thu 14-Apr-16 03:57:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

pippistrelle Thu 14-Apr-16 04:49:06

Just for a second, my poor sleep-deprived brain transposed 'bassoon' for 'bassinet'. That would be a whole different thread.

ChrissieLatham Thu 14-Apr-16 05:00:55

Please do not drug your child as mentioned above hmm

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/SpecialFeatures/ucm263948.htm

ChrissieLatham Thu 14-Apr-16 05:09:10

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/children/4886504/Parents-told-not-to-give-cough-and-cold-remedies-to-children.html

Children have died from diphenhydramine, please don't take the risk.

DesertOrDessert Thu 14-Apr-16 06:06:28

You will be checking into the Paris flight more than 3 hrs before tho. Get booked in at London for the whole thing, and get a bulk head seat arranged there.
I'm amazed that they even mention booking bassinets in advance. Every flight we went on was first come first served on the seats - but unable to book online.
Don't risk the antihistamine. It makes some kids go hyper, and that is most definitely not what you want!.
Consider a sling tho. DS2 spent most of a flight from HK (too big for bassinets) sleeping in a sling on me. Just make sure you know how to fasten it loosen the sling enough so baby is across you, or facing forwards. We had to move him for takeoff, as crew were very unhappy with him facing me.

Scarydinosaurs Thu 14-Apr-16 06:11:19

🤔🤔 no one suggested that, chrissy?

dynevoran Thu 14-Apr-16 06:27:40

Someone did suggest just that!

MoonriseKingdom Thu 14-Apr-16 07:00:38

That is dangerous advice herecome shock

herecomethepotatoes Thu 14-Apr-16 07:01:35

We did, following a Dr's legitimate prescription and dosage instructions. Legal medicine, taken according to the dosage instructions carries an absolutely minimal risk.

Tell me the last medicine you took or gave your child and I'll be able to find a story or study showing its terrible consequences.

You should read my post again. I didn't suggest giving her toddler medicine designed for older children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now