vaginal discharge in dd (7)

(22 Posts)
mighthavesaidtoomuch Thu 07-Apr-16 10:46:46

Dd woke up this morning really poorly. Took her to doctors and she had a temp, red ear, red throat and discharge underneath.
No treatment for any of the other symptoms but been given antibiotics for a vulval infection.
Anyone's dd had a vulval infection? They didn't say it was thrush but think she has something fungal though.
Dr has sent off samples of her water and her swab. Will hear back in 2 days.
What could cause an infection like that? Googled it and found all kinds of horrid people suggesting yellow discharge in children could suggest abuse!

Buzzardbird Thu 07-Apr-16 10:49:45

It will more than likely come back as thrush. If she is run down her whole body will be suffering.
Try not to worry until you have the results back.

mighthavesaidtoomuch Thu 07-Apr-16 10:52:41

Yeah trying not to worry, she has just had a really thin clear watery discharge and some runny yellow stuff but no foul oder really sorry for TMI.
She's been really run down for a little while, just can't seem to get rid of this virus. She vomited whilst at the hospital too bless her.

Buzzardbird Thu 07-Apr-16 10:57:39

Poor little love. Sounds like an awful virus. Trouble is if it is thrush the AB's are going to have the opposite effect.
Thrush is not uncommon in children btw, it doesn't necessarily mean abuse.
At least you only have to wait 2 days. Shame they didn't give her something for thrush just in case though. Don't know if she is too young for the tablet.

mighthavesaidtoomuch Thu 07-Apr-16 11:03:19

Yeah I thought that, antibiotics usually give me thrush. I know she's had a rough week bless her.

Buzzardbird Thu 07-Apr-16 11:26:19

Maybe use some natural remedies for thrush whilst you are waiting? Pro-biotic yoghurt drinks etc, will help in case she gets it in her mouth too.

Hope the AB's kick in soon.

mighthavesaidtoomuch Thu 07-Apr-16 13:17:54

Thanks Buzz. Will do, do you know if it would help if I put some natural yog on the outside bits? Obviously wouldn't put anything up there but I always find yog helps when I have thrush. Might help soothe her a bit?

Buzzardbird Thu 07-Apr-16 14:48:22

Well, it can't do her any harm. Put plenty on and it will work it's way around a bit. She just might find it a little uncomfortable, but it will be soothing if she is sore or itchy.

Adarajames Thu 07-Apr-16 18:42:52

I get issues like that when generally run down, so don't worry it's only caused by abuse. Poor little love must feel grim! Might also be worth getting some kids echinacea tincture to give her system a boost, and floridex for kids also a great general 'tonic'. Cutting down sugrs also will help. Hope she feels brighter soon

Idefix Thu 07-Apr-16 19:00:08

Would also keep an eye on stools/bottom for thread worms as these can cause discharge.
Hope dd is feeling better soon.

Threefaries Thu 07-Apr-16 19:04:02

You say she has a sore throat. She could have a step A infection.

mighthavesaidtoomuch Fri 08-Apr-16 15:49:32

Sorry everyone for no reply. Been up the wall with dd. Hosp just called and spoke to Dh, he didn't think to ask what infection she has hmm but they're putting her on penicillin .
Ds now has an infected finger where he's bitten his finger nail too much. Back to the gp I go. It's been a long week.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 08-Apr-16 15:52:48

I took DD1 to the docs earlier this year for discharge /sore itchy bits thinking thrush, turns out it was threadworms. Whole family treatment of Ovex was £9.50 from Tesco.

mighthavesaidtoomuch Fri 08-Apr-16 16:08:14

Could she gave spread the strep infection in her throat to her vagina somehow? Going to pick up antibiotics from the hospital so will ask if I can speak to a doctor or nurse when I'm there.

13lucky Fri 08-Apr-16 21:07:19

My dd has had similar twice (poss three times) and in all cases it was due to a strep infection (some people are more prone to them). On each occasion she was switched from whichever AB they had prescribed to another one...so I would put money on this is what it is. Sounds like she has had a rough time, bless her.

mighthavesaidtoomuch Sat 09-Apr-16 07:41:17

Thanks lucky, hospital staff said that the doctor had gone home hut to see out own gp in 5 days and they would have what she had in the notes. So still non the wiser what she has. The penicillin is working great though so that's the main thing.

Buzzardbird Sat 09-Apr-16 10:27:15

Poor love, hope she feels better soon.

QOD Sat 09-Apr-16 10:32:42

My dd had it once, I was told poor/careless wiping and antibiotics cleared it up, remind her to wipe front to back always
hope she perks up and feels better soon

mighthavesaidtoomuch Sat 09-Apr-16 17:28:29

Thanks everyone. She's brill at always wiping front to back but does sometimes struggle to clean herself fully if she's somewhere were she can't get wet wipes so that could be the problem although she does seem to be getting much better at wiping.

mighthavesaidtoomuch Sat 16-Apr-16 09:35:59

Went to doctors on wed and they didn't have the swab results but a letter from hosp apparently saying she had a uti. So I thought oh maybe Dh got the conversation over the phone confused.
She's woken up this morning g after 2 lots of antibiotics with more discharge so I called the a&e that we visited for some answers.
Turns out she has a group A strep infection and needed more antibiotics that she was given and no one has mentioned this once.
They saud 7 days but surely it is 10 days for strep?
13lucky did your dd have 7 or 10 days penicillin?

13lucky Sat 16-Apr-16 15:57:06

HI mighthave...I can't seem to reply to your private message for some reason. Anyway, I'm sorry but I can't remember I'm afraid. She has just had Scarlet Fever which is also a strep A infection and it was 10 days of penicillin for this...but I can't remember about the vagina infection. Sorry. Can you speak to a pharmacist in the chemist? They should probably be able to tell you.

mighthavesaidtoomuch Sat 16-Apr-16 21:33:53

Thanks 13lucky aw your poor dd. Mine has had scarlett fever twice now she seems to pick strep up constantly and has even had her tonsils out (not for the infections but for sleep apnoea) and still gets it lots. Spoke to doctor at the hospital who agreed that she did need 10 days of penicillin so all sorted now thankfully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now