We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To leave the clumsy bastard to protect my beautiful things?

(35 Posts)
BippityBoppityBullshit Thu 07-Apr-16 10:08:52

I have been lusting after some gorgeous mini Pip Studio Espresso mugs for ages, but at £8 a pop a little too much for a whim purchase. This week i got some amazing news i've been working really hard for, so i thought i deserved a treat. Got them home, show DH, go to change DDs nappy, hear a crash. DH had managed to drop a mug in top of my beautiful new mugs chipping one within 2 minutes of it being in our house. The big mug he dropped was broken too and they are no longer available to buy.

This brings the total list of things he has broken to:
3 mugs
A large expensive serving dish he broke before we got it in the car let alone home
2 Glasses
2 champagne glasses
A knife
A vintage bureau
3 photo frames
And the following from our wedding china:
1 Small bowl
2 large bowls
A plate

AIBU to LTB, or at least buy him a kids plastic dinnerware set and ban him from using our lovely things?

He also broke deliberately by throwing it into the tip an expensive drinks dispenser and all of our glass wedding decorations. In his defense he was rushing to clear out the garage before our renovations and i couldn't help/supervise because i was stuck on the sofa with a velcro baby. I did have to go on a long walk after i found that out!

<disclaimer> he is lovely really just very clumsy, and already hunted down a replacement Pip mig for me

londonrach Thu 07-Apr-16 10:19:13

I hear you and raise you this... I had them all of the time that dh took them out of the car and carried them into the kitchen to drop the bag on the kitchen tiles.... Dh vvvvv sorry and it was an accident. He not normally clumsy!

KittenOfWoe Thu 07-Apr-16 10:20:55

Ugh this is so irritating!! My otherwise awesome DH is so frigging careless. He broke his kindle by jamming it under the wardrobe at a weird angle, repeatedly dropped his laptop til it imploded, has laundered his ipod twice, etc. He's so slapdash with things like painting too I'll be finding drops or gaps forever, but I'm too slow (aka careful) so he ploughs on and takes over. Gah!!

LordoftheTits Thu 07-Apr-16 10:25:41

That would really piss me off, I'm not sure I could be polite to him after that list of blunders. I regularly call my DP an oaf, he is constantly tripping up and breaking things. The final straw came when he dropped my iPad and it landed on the edge of a plate that he'd left at his arse, and shattered the screen. I was furious because I had already 1. asked him to wash his dish when he'd finished with it and 2. asked him to be careful with the iPad because he'd had it precariously balanced on the sofa angry

pippistrelle Thu 07-Apr-16 10:30:35

For similar reasons, we have a cupboard full of mismatched glasses and crockery. It used to drive me mad but I've learned to care less, and now only buy plain white crockery, and cheap glasses. I did recently buy a set of lovely crystal wine glasses: there's only one left now and I'm considering chucking it out. Either that or drinking alone.

centigrade451 Thu 07-Apr-16 10:33:58

Your DH is clumsy. But ultimately these are just material things - you can't take any of it with you when you die.

I have DH and DCs all clumsy. They don't drop things, they would walk into things, bump into things, swing a bag on their shoulder and knock things over. All of them lack spatial awareness. It makes both DSs terrible at sport (just like their Dad). It also means I have lost figurines, mugs, glasses, framed paintings and a mirror.

Clumsy at home is one things, but Dh is like that when driving - absolutely no spatial awareness - will drive dangerously close to the middle of the road to make sure he has enough space on his left hand side. He has clipped mirrors, scraped the car whilst parking and misjudged roundabouts. I always insist I drive!

mogloveseggs Thu 07-Apr-16 10:36:51

I'm the clumsy one in our house. But no. Yanbu. Give him a plastic Thomas the tank set grin

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Thu 07-Apr-16 10:38:42

My DH managed to smash a marble fireplace, the day before it was due to be fitted. To be honest, I almost chucked him out over it.

He's not generally clumsy though, I was just really angry because the breakage occurred because he was behaving like a cunt. Also because it was money my dad had given us as a gift to do up our house. £500 down the drain.

At least he can replace this I suppose....!

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Thu 07-Apr-16 10:43:24

I'm clumsy sad

I no longer have nice breakable things. And on our wedding list I specified the John Lewis basics easily replaceable dinner service for just this reason. Interestingly, we haven't broken any of it yet

I have always been clumsy. So much so that as a student doing barwork they relabelled the broken glass bucket as "Susan's" broken glass bucket angry. OK so most of it was due to me

I have one of those reusable takeaway coffee mugs with a lid now. Sometimes feel I should just get a sippy cup and be done with it sad

paxillin Thu 07-Apr-16 11:03:42

Get this for your DH. Don't let him touch yours.

Kidnapped Thu 07-Apr-16 11:16:34

I'm clumsy (and careless to boot). I've probably broken more things that your list in my time.

The fact that he has hunted down a replacement makes him a lovely oaf.

liinyo Thu 07-Apr-16 11:20:06

We only buy glasses and mugs in ones or sometimes twos now. I always buy pretty ones and try to keep the sizes and shapes similar, but no sets so there is no excessive angst when they get broken - and they do get broken. It also makes it easier when there is a crowd around. If everyone has a different wine glass it is easier to keep a track of your drink.

One exception is a Villeroy and Bosch dinner set we bought about 18 years ago. We deliberately bought mixed colours for the above reason, but it is extraordinarily tough. We have only lost three pieces in all this time.

Don't be too hard on DH if he isn't doing it on purpose.

CigarsofthePharoahs Thu 07-Apr-16 11:45:50

Op, are you married to my Dad? grin
My Dad has never had any clue about objects in his vicinity. I have had cups of tea handed to me at a funny angle so the hot liquid slops on me. He was forever putting his cup of tea on the newel post at the top of the stairs, which was smaller than the cup. It fell off a lot.
He will misjudge where a surface is and either drop a cup or plonk it down very hard, often resulting in a breakage.
The only time I went utterly mad was when I had an art project out on the side drying off and he decided it would be a good idea to clean his manky work coat on the surface right next to it despite there being lots of room further away. He knocked the whole thing over. He's always very apologetic, but often just can't seem to get just why it is people get annoyed when things get broken.
Having said that, I have inherited a lot of the spatial unawareness, but I am aware of my unawareness, if that makes sense!
I only buy cheap white crockery that's easy to replace, I don't trust myself with any sort of swinging bag and I'm paranoid when I'm out with my buggy, especially if we have to walk through the breakables section in John Lewis!

myusernamewastaken Thu 07-Apr-16 12:24:09

My middle dc is v clumsy and i have had loads of lovely glasses smashed by him.....he is an oaf but a lot of the time its carelessness rather than clumsiness.....i have decided that when my kids have left home i shall buy lovely glasses and until then they can have plastic beakers lol x

bigbarns Thu 07-Apr-16 12:30:36

My DH is at the other end of the spectrum - which can be equally annoying. He had a hissy fit yesterday over a spilt drink (his drink, left on floor, dog walked past....oops!), declared he is never painting anywhere in the house again because after painting the hallway a few weeks back there are some marks/scuffs on it (we have 3 dc and said dog) and is constantly pointing out how clumsy the kids are when in my view they are no different to other kids!

WellErrr Thu 07-Apr-16 12:35:04

Does he ever break his own stuff?

Kidnapped Thu 07-Apr-16 12:35:56

Cigars, we are the same person. I am the same in a crockery department. Terrified.

I do seem to have the same spatial unawareness with crockery, but I am a good driver and otherwise take good care of things. Don't know what it is.

I have also inherited this cack-handedness from my dad. He was a legend in the blundering buffoon stakes. His DIY projects would have neighbours dropping by for a giggle.

DonkeyOaty Thu 07-Apr-16 12:50:41

I have stainless steel mugs and teapot blush

Am in the Clumsy Camp and no I don't like even walking through JL kitchenalia because I don't have a great idea of where my body is in space. Sigh

Kidnapped Thu 07-Apr-16 12:54:19

I inadvertently found myself in Rackham's crockery department with a rucksack on my back once. I was in a cold sweat, moving like a robot, trying to back out of the place.

Took bloody ages to find the exit as well. Was like that scene in Father Ted where the priests were trying to get out of the lingerie department.

Modestandatinybitsexy Thu 07-Apr-16 13:10:53

My dog is the clumsy one in my house! If he's got a toy and wants to show everyone it's like that scene in Mary Poppins, people grabbing glasses and mugs to avoid them being swept off tables by an over excited lab! grin

tinyterrors Thu 07-Apr-16 14:42:20

I'm the clumsy one in our house, might have something to do with me being the one who always washes up though.

I've broken and chipped loads of plates and glasses but the only thing that really bothered me was breaking my huge mixing bowl. Bloody lived that bowl and cried when I broke it (may have been a tad hormonal at the time) but luckily it was easy to replace.

Patapouf Thu 07-Apr-16 15:38:52

When we last moved house the removal company managed to break every single pip mug we had and then refused to replace them because we didn't have the insurance that only came if you paid them to pack the boxes for you. I'm still cross

CigarsofthePharoahs Thu 07-Apr-16 15:56:54

Kidnapped - we had a running joke with my Dads DIY. He would spend hours - and I really do mean hours - measuring up and marking the wall to fit something, lets say a shelf. Seriously anal behaviour.
It would still end up wonky.
Alas my 5 year old has inherited my condition and he lives in a permanent state of never really knowing where his feet, elbows or hands really are. Plenty of accidents. I don't allow him to use anything other than plastic picnic stuff, but he's 5!
My Dad also has the uncanny knack to tip drinks all over me in public too. He leant a menu up on my full glass of wine in a restaurant once and it fell over. He knocked a wine bottle over once, again all over me. He's not safe with soft drinks either. I get nervous if my parents take us out for a meal now.

CheshireChat Thu 07-Apr-16 17:17:47

I'm the clumsy one here, I managed to trip in the bathroom and rip the door of a cabinet. I'm also a messy eater, but I don't take food/ drinks upstairs other than my sports bottle.
However lately my partner broke the pram, a plate, a beloved wind glass and the dryer. He's also nearly dropped DS (though that didn't result in an injury as he's not that bad).

CheshireChat Thu 07-Apr-16 17:19:00

Wine glass, autocorrect, wine! Though wind glass sounds interesting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now